Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you always print out your permits?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 10:46 am 
Not really feeling like getting a printer, and it's a nuisance to make FedEx runs to print them. If it's a ready made tag to attach to my pack, that's cool, but otherwise I have my phone with me with the permit on it. Any thoughts? In fact, I'd be in favor of a backpack license plate number, they could just look up if needed. smile.gif

SpookyKite89
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
brewermd

brewermd
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 11:13 am 
I have had been instructed to just have a copy on my phone, it may have been for ONP.

CS
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 11:45 am 
In ONP you are supposed to have the tag on your tent when you are camped. That way a ranger can check your permit even if you are away on a day hike, exploring, getting water, etc. Otherwise you are supposed to have the tag on your backpack while on the trail. Most libraries have printers and the cost and inconvenience is minimal. But we have a printer so it's pretty easy to print it out, put it in a baggie, and attach to the backpack and tent. This is especially nice when camping in a limited permit area. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

graywolf, CS
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 11:49 am 
brewermd wrote:
I have had been instructed to just have a copy on my phone, it may have been for ONP.
ditto.gif I've never carried a hard copy of my permit in ONP. Usually I only have a hard copy if I have to pick up the permit in person. (But agree on using the library to print other things when needed.)

CS
CS

CS
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 1:43 pm 
ONP told me digital is fine too. Of course your phone can’t die.. is all.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 5:56 pm 
InkJet printers are terrible for occasional usage as iunless you are printing daily you need to do the nozzle cleaning ritual every time you want to print. That's why I got a Monochrome laser printer for things like this. I mainly use it to print UPS shipping labels. If I need to print in color I use FedEx office. The sub $120 Brother laser printer I have has just started annoying me with warnings about low toner after three years of usage. New toner cartridges are about $50

CS
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 pm 
Can you send it to your local drug store, and have it printed like a photo? If time, have them mail it back to you. I know Costco has this type of service for photos.

brewermd

brewermd
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 6:46 pm 
From one of my ONP permits this summer: "*You will only be able to print your permit once WIC staff have issued it, typically 5-7 days before the start of your trip. If you are unable to print your permit before the start of your trip, take a screenshot of your permit info (see next page) and bring that with you on your trip." I knew I remembered seeing that.

CS, Bramble_Scramble
CS

CS
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:16 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Can you send it to your local drug store, and have it printed like a photo? If time, have them mail it back to you. I know Costco has this type of service for photos.
It’s still a thing to do, and it’s kind of amazing how many moving parts there are to go do nothing much in nature these days.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:36 pm 
CS wrote:
It’s still a thing to do
Well yea. But in all honesty, it is not very much.
CS wrote:
and it’s kind of amazing how many moving parts there are to go do nothing much in nature these days.
I can't speak about all the other areas, but in ONP it has not been easier than it is now. So rather than more hoops to jump through as your statement implies, there are fewer, at least in ONP. I imagine this is similar situations to other places as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
CS

CS
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
CS wrote:
It’s still a thing to do
Well yea. But in all honesty, it is not very much.
CS wrote:
and it’s kind of amazing how many moving parts there are to go do nothing much in nature these days.
I can't speak about all the other areas, but in ONP it has not been easier than it is now. So rather than more hoops to jump through as your statement implies, there are fewer, at least in ONP. I imagine this is similar situations to other places as well. Rumi
I’m not a busy person, so everything more than doing nothing registers as work for me. If you’re a busy person then it’s a drop it the bucket smile.gif All this stuff is really due to the technology limits of today, I don’t think the parks are complicating things more than needed. I’m wondering if with phones getting satellite connections if we’ll be able register camping spots or make changes while on trail eventually.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 3:06 pm 
I print mine out for ONP. No printer? And you are away from tent? I would just attach a note with the permit # on it and then attach to the tent explaining the situation. Most Rangers understand.

Art is an adventure.

jaysway
ejain

ejain
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 4:53 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
That way a ranger can check your permit even if you are away on a day hike, exploring, getting water, etc.
What are they going to do with an empty, permit-less tent, arrest it? I do print out and attach permits to the tent, just so they won't wake me up if they come checking at 5am :-)

CS

CS
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 9:31 pm 
What does happen if you’re camped at a spot you don’t have a permit for? Like let’s say you’re benighted and opt for an empty camp site since you didn’t make your target site…

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 10:47 pm 
CS wrote:
What does happen if you’re camped at a spot you don’t have a permit for? Like let’s say you’re benighted and opt for an empty camp site since you didn’t make your target site…
You can receive a citation with a considerable fine and can also be banned from making reservations in the federal system. There certainly are legit circumstances where someone doesn't make their schedule, but camping at a different site than your reservation is different than camping with no permit at all. Ranger's aren't dumbshits, they can tell when someone is trying to scam the system.

jaysway