Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic NP—first visit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 2:18 pm 
Re: Quinault Area end of June/beginning of July We have two full days, no backpacking If you have been to the area, how would you spend it? Ruby Beach to the mouth of Hoh River — 6 miles Round Trip ? Maple Glade? Pony Bridge?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 7:07 pm 
Elip trail Skyline trail loop 21 mi loop along scenic ridge past lakes and back down North Fork Quinault.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 7:20 am 
Doable at this time of the year in a day?

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Apr 19, 2023 12:56 pm 
If I had 2 days around Quinault, I'd probably hike the trails on the south shore of the lake, go look at the big spruce tree, and maybe drive around the lake. Take a drive out to Kalaloch and see the Tree of Life, go to Ruby Beach and have a picnic. Then go up to the Hoh and hike out a few miles and make sure to do the Hall of Mosses loop as well. If you had time you could also go out to Rialto and walk up to Hole in the Wall. There are also several beach access areas between Quinault and the Hoh, and another short trail or two to see big trees. You could also drive up the road up to Graves Creek, I believe the road ends at a trail - haven't hiked that one yet, but both of those roads east of the lake have trails out that direction. The entrance to the Hoh area gets really congested in the summer and can take over an hour to get through the gate, so I recommend going really early or later in the day. About 2 miles up the Hoh is a pretty little waterfall, and at about 3 miles or so the old growth is really spectacular. If you Google One Square Inch of Silence, that's the approximate location for what Gordon Hempton was/is trying to accomplish. (Not trying to get into a discussion about that, just giving you some context in case you've heard of that.)

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

Anne Elk
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 11:41 am 
I have all of that you mentioned. Always, I am looking how to maximize my time.

huron

huron
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 11:45 am 
There is a bridge construction project that will have the road to Pony Bridge closed for quite a while so check that route before counting on it.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:42 pm 
The park’s website notes the trails won’t be affected at the end of June. Hopefully, they won’t delay work and we will experience the NEW bridge in place. However, we won’t be able to drive the loop around the lake. They are closing it at mile 14 to do some work. So, we will have to add additional time for driving, but things we want to see won’t be affected.