Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Brothers Summit Camp and a side trip to the Lookout site. 6/1-6/2 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 12:51 pm 
The Three Bro's had been on my radar for a few years, and I finally got the trip in last week. It did not disappoint and was well worth the wait! Started with the Stafford Creek Trail. Just passed the three-mile mark (3.3 miles) I headed right, taking the direct route to Freedom Pass.
At Freedom Pass you'll get your first view of the Three Brothers
I took a left at the pass, following the County Line Trail towards Navaho. Climbed 600 feet, then dropped right, into the basin, and closely following the "Old County Line Trail" over the saddle/pass between Navaho and the Three Bro's.
Looking back at Freedom Peak, and pass (unofficial name of the pass).
I wanted to camp on top and wasn't sure if there was a water source up there, so I filled up two bottles in the basin. Fact is I really didn't know if I'd find flat ground for a camp. Well, I found both snow for water, and a handful of nice spaces to camp! Had a wonderful evening. No bugs, no wind, and a big old chunk of moon! Made some dinner, then did a partial trip to the Middle Brother Lookout site. I actually thought I might make it all the way over that evening, but bailed when I realized the elevation loss required. Saving it for the morning was a good idea! Woke up, had some breakfast, and headed to the Lookout Site. It was so much fun! A bit of scrambling, some route finding, and it end with a wonderful ridge walk up to the Middle Summit! And killer views! Not to be missed if you have the time!
Heading back to camp.
Took about three hours round trip at a casual pace. Had some lunch, broke camp, and headed out. Took about 4 1/2 hours back to the truck (I think it took 6 hours going in). Around 16 miles, and 6'000 ft elevation gain for the trip. Also, I'd like to give a big shout out to 'nwhikers" John (and crew), for distracting me on the last mile of the Stafford Creek trail. My dawgs were a barking, and I a bit of conversation was just what the doctor ordered! Cheers, B!

Pef, RichP, runup, jstern, jaysway, neek, mosey, Sculpin, John Mac, JimK, Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 2:22 pm 
Great report! I've done Brothers via Navaho Pass before but have always wanted to check out the lookout site. I was up at Navaho Pass 5/31-6/1. There was less snow than when I was there last year on 6/30. Surprisingly few people, only saw about 12 on Wednesday and 3 on Thursday. I might have to copy your trip soon. I'm not a fan of a narrow spot on the County Line trail east of Navaho Pass and I've been wanting to hit Freedom.

Now I Fly
OldGoat
Old Goat

OldGoat
Old Goat
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 5:06 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
Also, I'd like to give a big shout out to 'nwhikers" John (and crew), for distracting me on the last mile of the Stafford Creek trail. My dawgs were a barking, and I a bit of conversation was just what the doctor ordered!
Likewise, enjoyed hearing about your trip!

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 6:43 am 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
Surprisingly few people, only saw about 12 on Wednesday and 3 on Thursday.
I wonder if we crossed paths. I saw two people on my way in. A guy with a heavy beard, I told him about a frantic snowshoe hare. And Sue (Susan?) who had scrambled Earl. Brian

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 10:54 am 
Now that you got two of the Brothers, you’ll need to tackle #3 the East Brother. If you do, enjoy! 😆 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027186&highlight=east+brother

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 12:24 pm 
BarbE wrote:
you’ll need to tackle #3 the East Brother. If you do, enjoy! 😆
Might have to think about that one for a while. wink.gif

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:27 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
I wonder if we crossed paths. I saw two people on my way in. A guy with a heavy beard, I told him about a frantic snowshoe hare. And Sue (Susan?) who had scrambled Earl. Brian
I think the guy with the beard was camped a little lower than me in the meadow. I didn't head back to the car until 215 and arrived at 4. Only saw a trail runner and a backpacker who was worried about finding a campsite because of all the cars at the trailhead (there were 4 cars when I got arrived at the lot 30 minutes later).

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 05, 2023 10:45 am 
That cast iron stove (?) is an interesting thing to find up there!

Flickr | Strava

Now I Fly, mosey
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Jun 08, 2023 5:22 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
That cast iron stove (?) is an interesting thing to find up there!
Leftover from the lookout demo? Maybe torched the rest? There was a bit of broken glass and plates scattered around the area. B

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Jun 08, 2023 9:32 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Leftover from the lookout demo? Maybe torched the rest? There was a bit of broken glass and plates scattered around the area. B
http://willhiteweb.com/fire_lookouts/three_brothers_lookout/teanaway_049.htm

jaysway, zimmertr, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Jun 09, 2023 8:36 am 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
http://willhiteweb.com/fire_lookouts/three_brothers_lookout/teanaway_049.htm
Nice find, and a fun read!