Forum Index > Trail Talk > Top 3 intro hikes to the Glacier Peak area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Putty

Putty
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 1:38 am 
I've done quite a few hikes in the Alpine Lakes area, now I'd like to branch out to the Glacier Peak area too. Can you recommend 3 good hikes that would introduce me to the area? From reading, I'm thinking Pilchuck, Forgotten and Dickerman? I'd definitely like ot head to one of these this weekend...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 5:21 am 
You should check out Pugh too.

greg

greg
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 7:50 am 
Pilchuck, Forgotten and Dickerman really aren't in the Glacier Peak area. In the GP Wilderness proper, I'd recommend Suiattle River to Image Lake, Spider Gap to Holden and maybe Napeequa Valley. Not this weekend, but when the snow is gone. Those three will put you into the soul of the Glacier Peak country.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 8:44 am 
Any trail that leads to the PCT is pretty much one that will give you killer views of Glacier Peak. Glacier Peak WIlderness is big. It's my favorite Wilderness area. Lots of variety, too. From the Entiat River area to Suiattle River and Mtn Loop to White River (wenatchee). Here's a list of my favorites. The 3 I'd recommend for immediate introduction are Cady Ridge, Estes Butte, Milk Creek. It won't be long before you discover the other ones anyway. Cady Ridge trail to the PCT, 14 very worth miles round trip. Steep in places, but it has been recently re-built, and not a pain in the butt. Little Wenatchee trail to Meander Meadows and Kodak Peak, 16ish miles RT (in order to see Glacier Peak). The Little Wenatchee River trail is lousy, but it's only 7 miles of flat lousy. Go early in the morning to avoid the hot, dusty switchbacks near the Meadows. Milk Creek, if you can get to the trailhead (road/bridge washout). Good dayhike, among the best old growth forest in the state, in my snobby opinion. View of Glacier Peak at the large meadows, the typical dayhike turnaround point. If you approach the meadows very quiety, it's very likely you'll see bear in the meadow. Sauk Rv to Red/White Pass at the PCT. Wander a little bit north on the PCT to see the White Chuck Cinder Cone to the left, and to the right, a set of waterfalls on Glacier Peak that will knock your socks off! Sauk is an excellent trail, but it's a multitude of switchbacks. You'll be glad you did it. Go early to avoid the heat. Another angle on Glacier Peak Wilderness is the Entiat River area. Entiat River Trail to Larch Lakes, Pomas Pass. River trail is hot, dusty, a motorcycle trail, but its only about 5ish miles to the Wilderness boundary. You have to get to Pomas Pass to see big mountains, but Larch Lakes are gorgeous. Go around the Lakes to the other set of Lakes (check the map, you'll see). Great swimming in the other set of Lakes, deep, deep for swimming. perfect rock outcroppings for a sun-perch. Estes Butte near Lake Wenatchee. Easy trail, but steep as hell. Excellent views (I did a trip report on this site, check it out).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 9:34 am 
By 'intro' do you mean easy day hikes? Most of the best stuff like Image Lake & Spider Gap are a little more difficult. Green Mountain would be my first suggestion and that should be doable in June. Hopefully they will fix White Chuck road this year which opens up a lot of possibilities on the east side.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 10:02 am 
Yeah, Green Mtn! HOw could I forget? I've worked on that trail so many time, that I never think of it as a hiking trail. Wow, the flowers on that mountain.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 10:25 am 
For dayhikes; Green Mountain - Acres and acres of wildflowers. I'm told the lookout gives you amazing views, but it's always been fogged in when I've gotten to the top. (that's actually true of every lookout I've ever been to. Start out on a gorgeous day, and it's sleeting when I get to the lookout) Little Giant Pass - off of the Chiwawa river road. The Napeequa valley will absolutely knock your socks off. It truly is a gem. The trail itself is really eroding in spots but it's totally doable. Do this one in August or September so fording the Chiwawa river isn't quite so hairy. Buck Creek Pass (High Pass if you're really motivated) - again, there's some real elevation gain to get here. But oh it's so worth it! The black flies lurking in the lower forest will give you all the motivation you need to keep those feet moving. The views here are truly stupendous - mile upon mile of lonely wilderness with no building, car, or person in sight. The thing I love about Glacier Peak Wilderness is that it isn't really easy and accessible. You have to work for the truly prime views, and that makes it feel really wild and lonely. For backpacking; Dishpan Gap makes a great base for further wandering and exploration. The gap itself is beautiful, with some of the most comfortable campsites I've ever found. You have to hunt for water, tho. Get to Dishpan Gap via Pilot Ridge or Cady Ridge. Once you're on the PCT the hiking is easy. Loop from Spider Gap to Cloudy Pass to Buck Creek pass. If you're confident in your navigation skills the route from High Pass to the Napeequa valley is fairly straightforward. From the Napeequa you can come out Little Giant Pass and hitchhike back to your car at the Phelps Creek trailhead.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
frankm3

frankm3
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 8:44 am 
Quark wrote:
Any trail that leads to the PCT is pretty much one that will give you killer views of Glacier Peak... ...Cady Ridge trail to the PCT, 14 very worth miles round trip. Steep in places, but it has been recently re-built, and not a pain in the butt.
Don't believe a WORD she says!!! Ol' Quark dragged me on this here '14 very worth miles' (from someone with an English degree, no less) jaunt last fall and we never saw NO mountain there!!!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 am 
frankm3 wrote:
Quark wrote:
Any trail that leads to the PCT is pretty much one that will give you killer views of Glacier Peak... ...Cady Ridge trail to the PCT, 14 very worth miles round trip. Steep in places, but it has been recently re-built, and not a pain in the butt.
Don't believe a WORD she says!!! Ol' Quark dragged me on this here '14 very worth miles' (from someone with an English degree, no less) jaunt last fall and we never saw NO mountain there!!!
O bite me. The mountain was swathed in fog and rain, among other things. Gee, that was a tough break for you, buddy. All that hard work in the sleet and fog and rain only to have a view of - sleet and fog and rain....You missed out sumpin' fierce! That's the thing about Glacier Peak. It's special 'cause you don't see him half the time. When you do, you clutch it's vision like you would the last cookie in a family of 7 kids.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 9:21 am 
Quark wrote:
Estes Butte near Lake Wenatchee. Easy trail, but steep as hell.
I gotta wonder about this: Easy trail AND steep as hell? confused.gif Please explain. I'm sure it will be good. biggrin.gif Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 9:28 am 
Newt wrote:
Quark wrote:
Estes Butte near Lake Wenatchee. Easy trail, but steep as hell.
I gotta wonder about this: Easy trail AND steep as hell? confused.gif Please explain. I'm sure it will be good. biggrin.gif Newt
It's a confusing conumdrumistic confliction of contradiction. Estes Butte is good tread yet steep - an old lady could do it, if given enough time - unlike Neiderprum trail, bad tread, steep. Old ladies would trip and be buried under 50 feet of detritus within 20 mintues. Good tread means Dayhike Mike could have his ziplock baggie opened every 20 minutes or so and still have no problem tripping up the trail, even if it is steep. Bad tread means Mike would have to be drunk in order to do it, so that every time he blasted his shin against a log or rock he wouldn't don't feel it.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 10:36 am 
Thanks for the clarification Quark. In my old age I have mistakingly equated steep with hard. Or at least harder. Your descriptions of steep and hard should make many of my treks much easier mentally. I will now add a baggie and a bottle of Tequila to my pack. Very good indicators. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 10:53 am 
1. Glacier Peak 2. Pyramid Mountain 3. Mount David Short strolls to Alpine retreats. shakehead.gif . NOT, just bored ! wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 12:16 pm 
Quark wrote:
frankm3 wrote:
Quark wrote:
O bite me. The mountain was swathed in fog and rain, among other things. Gee, that was a tough break for you, buddy. All that hard work in the sleet and fog and rain only to have a view of - sleet and fog and rain....You missed out sumpin' fierce! That's the thing about Glacier Peak. It's special 'cause you don't see him half the time. When you do, you clutch it's vision like you would the last cookie in a family of 7 kids.
Ok, so why would you expect to see anything in the first place if you know its crappy weather from the get go? Downey creek is a nice easy hike. It's long, but the old growth is wonderful. Its also mostly flat. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 1:33 pm 
bpj, as you may recall, I like hiking in what others consider crappy weather. the weather was forecasted to be bad that wkend, but the morning drive to the TH was clear. I'm too dumb to come in out of the rain, and poor frank had no choice - I had the keys to the rig. Now that he knows I'm too dumb to come in out of the rain, he may double-think before saying he'll join me on trips, especially to that area, where it's more likely than anywhere else in the state - including the rainforest - to be raining. Too dumb to come in out of the rain.....I loose more hiking partners that way.....