Forum Index > Trail Talk > Worst Hiking Buddies Ever
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am 
Sometimes I hike with some friends that are slower than me. I'm nice and stick with them on the flat sections but when we get to the hard steep pushes I go own program and tell them I'll wait at the top. Couple years back I ripped up to ingalls pass and waited for them for 2.5 hours at the top! Earlier this year pushed hard up the 1.5 mile/1500 gain section on foss lakes right before copper lake. Waited for 2 hours at the top!!! I realize I put up competitive times on these deals but it is absurd to get 2 hours ahead in 1.5 miles of distance! Anyhow I'm the one that goes ahead alone. There are 2 of them. Would never leave someone behind. I'd rather just lecture them the whole way home that they're clearly not working out hard enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 am 
Several people using the word "should" in this thread. The use of the word "should" is negative to the recipient and IMO will not get your point across. Which is more effective in communication?: A: You should never leave someone alone while hiking together. I think leaving someone alone is harmful. B: Why leave someone alone while hiking together? I think leaving someone is harmful.

Art is an adventure.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Several people using the word "should" in this thread. The use of the word "should" is negative to the recipient and IMO will not get your point across.
I prefer using "you need to..." rather than "should"