Forum Index > Trail Talk > More Pilchuck Passion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 12:41 am 
Winter time on Pilchuck
I am new to the Northwest, and have until only recently heard of Pilchuck. I hear it is great, and a beautiful place in the summer. Is it reachable in the winter? If so, what does it require?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostSun Jan 19, 2003 11:55 am 
Funny you should ask One hit Wonder. Just yesterday, having limited time, but wanting to get out, I decided to run up the little Mt, yet once again. Yes, it is beautiful (in any season) but not really anymore than anywhere else. IMO. But it does set apart and on clear days like yesterday, offers views from Canada to St Helens. It is close, 75 minutes from Edmonds - which is nice. Regarding a winter trip, if the road is open, you have two options. Follow the trail which most people do (if accessible), or do what I did and take the direct route, straight up from the big parking lot. The only other people (4) I saw on that route yesterday, were on it by mistake and were looking for the trail. Trailhead is near the new outhouse and is signed. Ice axe, crampons, snowshoes, poles on any winter trip, depending on snow conditions, recent precip, etc. Yesterday, axe and crampons were carried and used. The first 500' vertical still needs more snow, but is becoming nicely overgrown. wink.gif

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 5:16 pm 
Pappy is a man of heart...he too loves the view...and in winter Pilchuck is hard to beat with the comanding view of 360 degrees. I would second his thoughts! Just wish he'd have told me he was going, but then I often go when the mood strikes me... McPil PS. It appears the Registry I put up there got completely filled up and someone (maybe Everett Mountaineers) took it. I have put together another, much much larger and will deliver it once again to the top (Lookout) for those wishing to sign it or comment in it. I will also say, I don't consider it mine, it's just for the Lookout and people who enjoy reading somethings who have been there before them, or seeing their friends names signed in the Registry.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostMon Jan 20, 2003 9:01 am 
McPil, I did think of you and should have shot you a note that I was going. The 360 is grand, especially on a day as clear as saturday. But the views from the top of the east gulley area are what I enjoy the most. The contrast to the gentle south slope always surprises me.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 9:36 am 
Another view of Mount Pilchuck
Taken a couple years ago in late fall. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 11:49 am 
The east gulley down where the ridge crest divides the northeast side from the western side is called Gunsight Pass. Nice photo BTW. And thanks for thinking of me, sounds like you had a great day up there! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com