Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Loop Highway now open....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 24, 2022 9:17 am 
Randito wrote:
IDK, but one usually needs to hike several hours to get into the killing fields of the Enchantments, vs Big 4 killing folks an easy stroll from their car. Big 4 ice caves killed people before Instagram, I think the big growth in mishaps in the Enchantments have been more recent.
We're talking like two deaths in the entire history of this terrible killing field, right?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostTue May 24, 2022 10:06 am 

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Chief Joseph  KascadeFlat, zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 24, 2022 11:24 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Randito wrote:
IDK, but one usually needs to hike several hours to get into the killing fields of the Enchantments, vs Big 4 killing folks an easy stroll from their car. Big 4 ice caves killed people before Instagram, I think the big growth in mishaps in the Enchantments have been more recent.
We're talking like two deaths in the entire history of this terrible killing field, right?
Hey -- you are the one that brought the Enchantments into this thread asserting they were worse than Big 4. Currently the Enchantments and Big 4 are tied with 4 deaths each -- but the Aagard pass has been much more active in recent years than Big 4. Recent deaths in the Enchanments 2021 https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jun/06/busy-memorial-day-weekend-sends-spokane-county-sea/ 2019 https://komonews.com/news/local/texas-climber-dies-in-fall-in-washington-state-mountains 2017 https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/mercer-island-man-believed-dead-after-fall-through-snow-at-aasgard-pass/ 2011 https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2011/jul/05/details-hikers-deadly-slide-alpine-lakes-wilderness/ Recent deaths at Big 4 2016 1 drowned in river https://komonews.com/news/local/six-year-old-boy-reported-missing-near-big-four-ice-caves 2015 -- 1 killed , 5 injured https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/15/mother-of-four-killed-in-ice-cave-collapse-a-week-later-their-father-shot-and-killed/ https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/people-possibly-injured-in-snohomish-big-four-ice-caves/ 2010 1 killed https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/family-sues-over-girls-death-at-big-four-ice-caves/ 1998 1 Killed https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19980803&slug=2764476#_ga=2.229272340.900348136.1653415247-903077711.1598887597

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue May 24, 2022 11:44 am 
Not to change the subject or anything… Tricia and I drove her Jeep up 49 a couple of days ago and the potholes were so bad it would have been easier to drive between them in my Honda Civic. We did stop by North Fork Sauk Falls.
Also hiked up the Lost Creek Ridge trail to about 3,000 feet where it crosses an avy chute still filled with snow. A few blowdowns along the way but easy to get over/under. Talked to a guy in a pickup truck who tried to drive all the way to Barlow Pass and he said it was still very impassable.

SpookyKite89, ozzy
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 24, 2022 11:56 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Randito wrote:
Big 4 -- it's a great Darwin Award opportunity all around!
How many hikers have died there versus the Enchantments?
Randito wrote:
Hey -- you are the one that brought the Enchantments into this thread asserting they were worse than Big 4.
shakehead.gif

CS

CS
PostTue May 24, 2022 12:32 pm 
Logbear wrote:
I’m always surprised by the places people bring babies in the outdoors. This is probably the most surprising I’ve seen though.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 24, 2022 1:38 pm 
Logbear wrote:
So looks like the bridge is completely gone now, maybe it's best if they just leave it that way? That sucks since the trail was meant to be handicap-wheelchair accessible, although imo that is not practical given the volatile nature of the area, with flooding and landslides wrecking havoc on the bridge and trail. Mankind spends a ton of money and yet Mother Nature wins once again. I think that's the way it is supposed to be, but we keep trying and usually failing.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 24, 2022 4:23 pm 
CS wrote:
I’m always surprised by the places people bring babies in the outdoors. This is probably the most surprising I’ve seen though.
What surprised me the first time I saw it, was parents taking their trusting little kids by the hand, and after reading Grace Tam's memorial plaque, helping them step over the wall surrounding the memorial, and walking them straight into the caves. But I'm not surprised by that any more.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk, KascadeFlat  CS
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue May 24, 2022 4:50 pm 
Logbear wrote:
That's only the way we got across up to about 1970

mosey, Chief Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 24, 2022 6:16 pm 
Schroder wrote:
That's only the way we got across up to about 1970
Looking at that pic logbear posted of the family crossing with the toddler in the backpack, I was imagining they were first timers and expecting to see something spectacular. That's a lotta wet and risk just to see a hollowed out avalanche chute.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 24, 2022 6:44 pm 
Plus right now the caves won't be open until a few more weeks, it will just be a snow field. The only reason I would like the bridge to be replaced is so I could have another go at the HooDoo mine before it get's super brushy, but that's not a big deal, I can wait until the river is lower.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostFri May 27, 2022 10:18 am 
Fake News! I drove up Mt Loop last night 26MAY and it is gated at Monte Cristo / Barlow Pass. Patchy snow on the ground at the Monte Cristo trailhead / parking lot. Sooo much snow in the lower mountains... I get all excited every year after a week or two of warm weather in the low lands and always disappoint myself by thinking the snow is gone. I mean, it is almost June.... I should know better... Road snowed in 2 miles before Ashland Lakes trailhead Road snowed in a few miles before Sunrise Mine trailhead etc, etc. Deep, slushy snow is a b*tch to hike in....

Chief Joseph, zimmertr, Anne Elk
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostSun May 29, 2022 12:11 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Not to change the subject or anything… Tricia and I drove her Jeep up 49 a couple of days ago and the potholes were so bad it would have been easier to drive between them in my Honda Civic. We did stop by North Fork Sauk Falls.
Also hiked up the Lost Creek Ridge trail to about 3,000 feet where it crosses an avy chute still filled with snow. A few blowdowns along the way but easy to get over/under. Talked to a guy in a pickup truck who tried to drive all the way to Barlow Pass and he said it was still very impassable.
Was this by chance the gulley where you have to dip under a big old downed tree?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon May 30, 2022 8:14 am 
We did crawl under that big old tree but it was lower down on the trail from where it crosses the avy chute. I didn’t have Microspikes that day and there was a bit of a runout at the crossing, so turned around there, at about 3,000 feet. Also I could see on the other side of the chute that the trail was completely under snow after that.

SpookyKite89
Burg

Burg
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 8:55 am 
Update: According to the message on the Darrington Ranger Station VM, the MLH is now open to through traffic. I have not verified this but sounds like good news! If I head out there this week I will post a TR.