Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kootenays
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 8:18 pm 
taking advantage of the start of summer (both weather-wise and calendar-wise), we headed out to whiteswan lake provincial park. there is a hiker/boater campground on the opposite side of the lake from the road, and a short canoe trip gets you there in 10-20 minutes. with our borrowed canoe from our friends, we headed down to the dock and loaded it up. after saying farewell to the moose at the south end of the lake, we ventured northward. within a few minutes, water was in the boat. i wondered if the bilge was open so i started hunting around and trying to move gear. nope, all closed. water kept getting deeper. that's when i noticed the 12" long crack extending full height of the left gunwale. we found a spot along the edge of the lake/road and got everyone and everything out. i paddled back to the dock and took the canoe out. fortunately, our friends were able to taxi us across over a few trips and the trip was salvaged.
the camping area was great. some established pads with gravel base to the north, but we opted for the south side of cave creek where it was a little more foresty. cave creek was gushing with water providing probably the best white noise sleeping i've ever had, despite thoughts of whether the creek could jump its banks as it was clear the creek has moved many times, somewhat recently, with the forest debris and rocks.
night brought steady light rain, but the morning brought vitamin D. hotpantz and i took #2 with us for a hike along the north shore trail towards home basin campground, about 2.5km away. along the way, there was another huge creek, but this one was spring fed and bubbling up from under the ground. really awesome. after many loon sightings, we arrived at the campground for some snacks and then returned back to our camp to see if #1 was ok. it's nice to leave your 5 yr old and not worry anymore.
the rest of the day was spent canoeing (we found the moose tracks in the water), exploring, playing with kids, watching our kids have a competition about who would go the deepest in the cold lake water, and an extended campfire session with too many s'mores.
the last day, we reversed the taxi service, collected the broken canoe to return to its owners, and headed home well satisfied. many nice looking peaks in this neck of the woods that will need exploring over time, including white knight and blue knight, which are above the lake, and shark tooth peak south of the lake.

Nancyann, ozzy, Char May, jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 8:26 am 
Oh Canada. Oh.

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 11:00 pm 
with my dad in town for a week, we headed off to nearby premier lake provincial park. some car camping and swimming in the lake on the first day, with 30 degree temps, was a good way to start. kids got pretty ramped up after smores.
the next day, after poking around the creek in camp and looking at cutthroat trout, we ambled up to yankee lake. it was about 2km and 130m gain, but certainly steep in parts. the early morning heat was definitely noted, but many flowers kept us entertained. we all took a dip in the lake, except my dad who turned back earlier on (15 years removed from biking across the country with me has taken its toll).
i guess about 15 years ago, crews worked to restore the forests in this area to their native condition/spacing. it's very interesting to us because the trees have quite a bit of distance between them, with a lot of grass and flowery undegrowth. i assume, in time, these trees would grow much larger and become more fire-resistant. probably not in my lifetime, but maybe my kids...

Nancyann, williswall, kite
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:55 pm 
I aint no forestry person. I have noticed too that there is an effort to put more space between trees to make old growth areas. Maybe the tight fit trees do not grow as fast? Or the area is always in a perpetual cycle of small growth?

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 11:20 pm 
to celebrate anniversary #11, we headed up (with the kids) to bear lake. which bear lake? the one out of fort steele. the first 20km of road are mostly good for BC FSR's, but the last 5km on the spur road is for modern subaru's or higher. there are dips in the road that a car will not make. AT tires recommended as there are many sharp rocks. there was an unusual number of vehicles (8) at the TH for what we've seen in the kootenays, but most of them left by days' end. the trail starts steep by most standards, especially for kids. #1 did great, despite some grumbling; we need to bring along some of her friends to make it less heady!. #2 did great too, and alternated between hiking and getting carried. the trail tread is certainly slick at times given the drier nature of the dirt and fine powdery soil material. after 2.5km and 300+m gain, we crested a slight saddle. views were most welcomed.
the lake's outlet funnels into a hole and disappears. i've never seen anything like this. eventually, it emerges somewhere on the other side of the saddle through some underground corridor.
there were at least 4 respectable campsites, including several others that would do in a pinch and have obviously been used (fire rings). we set camp and got the kids into the water a little bit. some evening fishing attempts (no bites) and a walk around bear lake were had. kids didn't care much for the rehydrated food, so that was fun. bonus: our celebratory port was soapy from the last cleaning of the collapsible flask. winning!
after a restless sleep for me, the internal kid-alarm clock got us all out of bed after a very calm and quiet night. the goal for today was to head up to ruault pass, due east of the lake. there was a high route trail and an up-the-gut trail. hotpantz wanted to do the high route since she was told it was easier for the kids, but it involved some steep, loose scree terrain that wasn't too fun. again, #1 crushed it and was quite excited about the fields of flowers filled with butterflies; she really likes to pretend she's whatever the latest creature she sees/reads about. once on the high route trail, it was good with a gradual ascent to the saddle. views from the top were splendid, though light smoke obscured more distant views. we ran into a group we knew from town and i headed off to a bump to the north of the saddle (no significant prominence, but maybe the oracle would count it). maybe 1km and 120m to the saddle.
we took the up-the-gut route down and it was slippery because of the fine dust trail, but it was short lived. not sure what the better approach is. for kids, it's safer from a fall perspective to do the up-the-gut route. back at the lake, we swam and packed up. kids were in a good mood and did great hiking down. instead of the forested route, we took a trail that stayed in the talus/meadows slightly north of the forested trail. still steep, but more scenic for sure. with temps only in the low 20s and a gentle breeze, it was a fine route.
right at the final step from the alt route to rejoin the main trail, hotpantz slipped on something stupidly simple (and slick/wet) and landed really hard directly on her tailbone on a rock that was designed to hit just that spot (like an upside down V). she was carrying #2 dowhill through that stretch, so his extra 40lbs didn't help. lots of pain. she gritted it out, of course, but i'm definitely concerned for long-term implications (like low back pain like i have from a fall 20 years ago in construction). xrays tomorrow. happy anniversary frown.gif

Char May
iron

iron
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 6:19 pm 
mt fisher is the predominant peak viewed from the east kootenays, primarily cranbrook, kimberley, and wasa lake areas. there's a brewery named after it. probably some restaurants too. it's the mt. rainier of the kootenays. my mom is in town, so we had a day available to head out to hike while she watched the kids. the trail is like mailbox peak, the creek is like the one leading to leroy basin, and the flowers at the summit are like tricouni. it was thoroughly enjoyable. we made our way up the mause creek FSR which is still brutal. subaru, or higher clearance, and some AT tires are highly advised. we arrived at the trailhead around 7:15am where temps were about 7C. the trail wastes zero time gaining. neither hotpantz or i have hiked much in the past year, and cardio is lacking. nonetheless, slow and steady progress brought us to the creek and some shallow tarns.
the trail was very well defined. we continued past the tarn, where there was no more flowing water, and headed up to the saddle. lots of scree and talus. very pasayten-like. temps were just about right and we headed up some scree slopes. many options here. most seem to go up the gut on the scree, but there is better, rockier terrain to climber's right.
after the looser stuff, it was all enjoyable class 1-2 stuff until a single class 3 move a few minutes below the summit. when we got to the top, i was amazed at how easy it felt. trail the entire way, unreal.
views in all directions were most excellent. so many peaks we have no idea what they are. it was fun to look back towards kimberley and see where our house is. also cool to see the st mary river and how it winds its way to connect to the kootenay river at fort steele.
we ambled back down and took our time to relax at the tarn, peer over the waterfall, and enjoy the rare break in parenting. our descent muscles aren't there any more, so it was a little hard on the steep trail just before the road. so it goes.

Tom, GeoTom, RichP  kite, jaysway  GaliWalker
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 05, 2023 10:09 am 
I never knew there was a trail up that thing. I guess I need to make a day out of it, when the tent makes it back home to Kimberley.

Art is an adventure.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jul 05, 2023 11:53 am 
Stefan wrote:
I never knew there was a trail up that thing. I guess I need to make a day out of it, when the tent makes it back home to Kimberley.
I am interested in Mount Fisher and that area, if you ever plan to go. It is a very scenic area. I am very surprised there is basically a trail to the summit.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
iron

iron
PostSun Jul 09, 2023 9:06 pm 
we wanted something short today for the kids so headed off to white boar lake. this is a subaru-or-higher AWD road for sure. parts of the 3.3km drive off the main FSR were more or less like driving up a steep, dry creek bed with moving 12" diameter boulders and ruts that put your car at a 20 degree lean. AT tires are a must. with our friends, we were the first ones there. a short 100m walk downhill through a stinging nettle filled path brought us to the north end of the lake. glass. put the boat in and paddled around icebergs floating hither and thither. kids were pretty excited to touch the floating snow chunks.
the snow pile at the south end of the lake was a good 30ft tall. in one part, we could see a deep tunnel. no exploring for us. this area clearly moves and shifts a lot. we saw several icebergs capsize, and a chunk of the main snow mound break off. some rockfall too.
we hung out on the shore for a bit and #1 decided she'd go for a swim to retrieve ice chunks to build her own cooler. braver than me.
most of the group headed off to explore nearby avy swaths and found some pools with tadpoles. i hung at the lake with #2 building rock stacks and throwing rocks. clouds swirled and it was clear rain was coming so we boogied out. some rain halfway across the lake, but it was warm and the air is so dry up here that even when it rains you dry out, somehow.
survived the drive back down the 'road' and then headed to meachen creek falls near KM post 34-35. tight grips on the kids hands for that as it's death if you slip terrain.

kite
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jul 10, 2023 7:21 am 
iron wrote:
mt fisher is the predominant peak viewed from the east kootenays, primarily cranbrook, kimberley, and wasa lake areas. there's a brewery named after it. probably some restaurants too. it's the mt. rainier of the kootenays. ...
How did I miss this one? Gorgeous views!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 10, 2023 10:33 am 
cool lake with those ice chunks!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostSun Oct 01, 2023 11:13 pm 
on this first day of october, we tried to thread the needle between in-climate weather patterns, and succeeded for a change. the FSR up to brewer creek trails is definitely subaru or above terrain, with AWD or 4x4 mandatory. the parking lot was surprisingly crowded with 15 vehicles there (all trucks besides us). this is by far the most # of vehicles i've seen in the kootenays. a balmy 3C welcomed us with about 3-4" of snow en route. all the kids (4 families) were jazzed and so the pace was quick for a kid hike. we carried #2 with us, knowing that it was steep in places and he'd do better with a mix of carry + hike.
the first stop was at a flat spot in the creek, where little islands dot the creek and first grand views of larches and big snowy peaks greeted us. from here, it's a mix of flat to moderate steepness to the tarns. the snow was slick in spots, and you could tell it would be dicey on the way down.
the upper brewer tarn was awesome. idyllically framed. families took a break here and i asked for volunteers to hike up mt brewer, but had no takers. while they lounged, i headed off. the sun was getting warm and snow was quickly melting.
lower brewer tarn was equally good.
i followed the trail to what seemed like the east ridge of brewer and then headed up. this terrain is very much chelan sawtooths (larch density) mixed with the pasayten (scree). but, better looking peaks by and large. i was dragging given my constant lack of sleep and out of shape conditions, but made progress nonetheless. it was class uno the whole way, though slick with wet snow + grassy plants.
the top of brewer should've had nice views, but it was socked in to the west. many peaks around here certain have ridge running potential. i stayed a few minutes before sliding my way back down to the trail. i ran most of the way back until meeting up with the group. the girls (ages 6-9) sure like to beat up on me. their game today was to hold onto my backpack straps and pull down as hard as they could as if i was a horse. going downhill was never harder. but, the giggles were good. the kids were really strong today!
14km 960m

Anne Elk, NWtrax, rubywrangler, awilsondc, Prosit, Roly Poly, RichP, kite, geyer, fffej50, Waterman, GeoTom, Tom  GaliWalker, fourteen410
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 02, 2023 8:56 am 
Love the Canadian larch pics!

Art is an adventure.
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Oct 02, 2023 9:25 am 
Absolutely gorgeous larches. You have a charmed life!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Oct 02, 2023 12:14 pm 
iron wrote:
Calendar shot!! up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood