Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2024 Changes to the Annual Interagency Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 4:09 pm 
altasnob wrote:
People with kids in this country need more financial help that those over 62.
Kinda weird the way someone who calls himself "altasnob" keeps moaning about the financial hardship of buying two annual park passes. How much does one day of skiing at Alta cost?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 4:25 pm 
$20 less than Crystal.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

uww
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 4:37 pm 
If this thread is any indication, the population will decline because so many are eating each other. It's only December 5th...... shakehead.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

idoru
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 5:12 pm 
This is a great time to troll and argue considering weather, road, and snow conditions.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 5:28 pm 
Sorta, but a bit meaner than, flipping guff around & cheating at checkers in front of the local bait shop/dry goods/sundry store's woodburning stove. smile.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 4:38 pm 
Car pulls up to entrance station... Driver: Is it $30 each or does that cover both of us? Ranger: Well... $30 covers everyone in the car, but... Driver: Do you have any cash? Wife: No dear, just show her your pass. Driver: What pass? Wife: Your lifetime pass. Let me see your wallet....Here it is. Driver: No. That's the pass for Death Valley. See the wildflowers on it. Wife: Well, we used it in Death Valley, but you bought it at Fort Clatsop. You chose the wildflowers. Driver: Why would I buy a lifetime pass for Death Valley from Fort Clatsop? Wife: You didn't. You bought a pass that's good at all National Parks. Don't you remember? Driver: I remember buying some books at Fort Clatsop, But Fort Clatsop isn't a National Park. Ranger: Ahh Sir. If I could just see your pass we can get you on your way. Driver: Oh, here. Wife: If his pass doesn't work you can use mine. Driver: Hey, your pass has a bighorn sheep on it. That's what I want. Ranger: Beep. Sir, your pass worked fine. You're all good to go. Here's your newsletter. Enjoy your visit. Driver: Say..Can I exchange my wildflower pass for a bighorn pass? Ranger: No, we can't do that. Sorry
Driver: Oh well, thanks anyway. Oh, nice mountain by the way. Wife: That does it. Next time I'm driving. Driver: Good. Then I could read the newsletter. Hey, did I get my pass back? Wife: Maybe you should find a place to pull over. Driver: Might as well. I have to.....anyway.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 10:20 pm 
Logbear wrote:
Oh, nice mountain by the way.
rotf.gif

peter707

peter707
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 5:44 pm 
My opinion is that the lifetime unlimited pass senior pass is good, cost-efficient public policy. Walking around at old ages increases lifespan, and massively increases 'healthspan'. More healthspan = less expensive elder care (and more happy elders!). On the other hand, the healthcare system isn't so good:
"^&*(, I broke my collerbone... today's the most expensive day of my life" (proceeds to ski out with 16 fractures)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 12:06 am 
I've never had the person at entrance gate any of the NPs I've visited ask to see ID or check the signature on the back of my interagency pass. Mt Rainier, Olympic, Death Valley, Yosemite, Great Basin, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Captial Reef, Grand Canyon, Zion, Crater Lake, Lava Beds. Some of those visits were with an annual pass and more recently with the geezer pass. My wife and I both having geezer passes has proved useful for booking campsite reservations at USFS and NPS campgrounds as we can book two sites instead of just one at the 50% rate and have enough room for the whole crew. It will be interesting to see if the underpaid staff working the entrance gates start taking the extra time to check IDs and sginatures. We are planning on visiting Yellowstone in 2024 with the whole crew and using just to two geezer passes to admit two van loads of people.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 12:37 am 
Randito wrote:
I've never had the person at entrance gate any of the NPs I've visited ask to see ID or check the signature on the back of my interagency pass.
Hmmm, interesting that people can have such widely differing experiences. I would estimate that about half the time, maybe more than half, I have been asked to see an ID in conjunction with my pass.
Randito wrote:
It will be interesting to see if the underpaid staff working the entrance gates start taking the extra time to check IDs and sginatures.
Not sure why you would think this would be overly time consuming. It is pretty seamless in my experience. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 1:26 am 
Won't stop the second hand market where the dealers gather by the park entrances. These guys churn big bucks standing there selling second hand tickets to the cars in the 3 hour wait lines outside of major parks. Huge profit margins. Nothing the park can do to stop them.