Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 04, 2024 6:16 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I want to know why Gil's last picture isn’t the cover of the calendar.
My wife tells me there's a pretty darn good cover photo this year, but perhaps she's a little biased. clown.gif 2023 was a banner hiking year for me, the most I've gotten out in years and looking back I feel truly blessed. My top 3 photos aren't necessarily the best I took, but rather the ones that trigger the best memories. I took a cue from Prosit after we ran into each other at Rowena Lake earlier this year to go with the flow without any pre-set itinerary or camp in mind. On my next trip I stumbled on a nice high camp on the shoulder of Lennox Peak as the sun was setting and decided to drop pack. I don't normally camp high or wake at first light, but it helped that my sleeping pad had a small hole, waking me up every hour or so to inflate. Sunrise was spectacular, and I took quite a few shots that perhaps captured it better, but I just love the subtle alpenglow transition on this one as sunrise lit up the side of the mountain.
My next favorite is from my first ever bivy experience, with Prosit on Ruth Mountain. Again, not the "best" or most spectacular photo from the trip, but captures the magic of camping high and photographing golden hour with good company. Prosit told me he liked it enough to put it on his photo page, I'm honored. I like his crop a little better, although I can't seem to find it, but triggers fond memories from a fabulous trip.
Only fitting the last one is my last sunrise photo of 2023, from a bivy on the NE shoulder of Black Peak. The first climbers had rounded the corner a few minutes before sunrise, but nobody was in any hurry to climb the summit block. We were all just mesmerized by the unfolding scenery, soaking it in for the next 10 minutes. I don't bring the fanciest of camera gear, and it's not easy to capture a sunburst with a cell phone, but the sun hit the clouds just right to provide a sunray effect as I snapped away on my cell phone, hoping one would turn out. Wonderful memories from this trip, in fact, as I count myself backward from 100 to sleep at nights I transport myself back to my bivy spot and imagine I'm still there, can't wait to experience new memories in 2024!

solohiker, Now I Fly, Route Loser, gb, Gil, NWtrax, runup, day_hike_mike, Prosit, awilsondc, sooperfly, jaysway, reststep, zimmertr, Bowregard  Anne Elk, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostThu Jan 04, 2024 7:02 pm 
Beautiful alpine scenery, Tom, captured in really nice light. The photos, especially the second, nicely depict the experience.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jan 05, 2024 11:41 am 
I love this thread, particularly when there's lots of participation! wub.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Anne Elk, day_hike_mike, Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am 
Tom wrote:
Only fitting the last one is my last sunrise photo of 2023, from a bivy on the NE shoulder of Black Peak.
This photo ticks all the boxes for a landscape photo for me. Well framed, golden hour, interesting landscape, and features I recognize.

kite

kite
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 10:40 am 

Route Loser, jaysway, gb, awilsondc, Gil, NWtrax, Now I Fly, catsp, lanzscape, Tom, day_hike_mike, kiliki, Bowregard, Chief Joseph  GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 12:55 pm 
^ All three are amazing, but I particularly like the first two.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 2:12 pm 
Really nice wildlife images, kite. Some favorits of mine from 2023:
Mill Creek MetorParks (NE Ohio) has had a few albino whitetail deer over the last few years, but this is the first respectable shot I got of an albino male. Taken January, 2023, about a mile from home.
Sunrise at Wells Beach, Maine, taken in June while on vacation with my wife.
Taken during an amazing sunrise in Colorado's San Juan mtns in early October.
I know it's supposed to be three, but for the sake of variety, here is one more. Taken in October in the Yellow Mounds section of Badlands National Park. I personally like the animal tracks (antelope? deer?) in the foreground leading toward the mounds.

Route Loser, jaysway, gb, kite, Gil, NWtrax, awilsondc, kiliki, Now I Fly, day_hike_mike, GaliWalker, Tom
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 11, 2024 11:47 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Chief Joseph, In your middle photo the strange angle of the clouds against the sharply angled peak on the left make it appear unreal, as if the clouds were copied from another photo, angled, and then added to this one. (Not trying to infer that was done - I just found it interesting). I love the "somewhere in the Winds" photo - The twisted and weathered down tree adds a bit of extra character to the scene and keeps my eyes circling around the photo.
I was just looking through my TR of the Wallowas and realized that middle photo was actually there going up Ivan Carper pass above Mirror lake. This other one is in that vicinity.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

jaysway, kite
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 5:36 pm 
This one's tough for me because I only took one trip this past year and it was Sooo smokey when I went, but here it goes. Looking down into Napeequa Valley coming down from Little Giant Pass
Heading up through the ash and pumice towards High Pass
Triad Lake

Anne Elk, Gil, jaysway, awilsondc, kite, day_hike_mike
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 9:39 pm 
The Pickets from 3 directions:
From the E
From the E
From the W
From the W
From below
From below

kite, zimmertr, Bowregard, RichP, Now I Fly, lanzscape, Gil, GaliWalker, jaysway, Lightning_bug  KascadeFlat
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:43 pm 
A couple of mine with rather unoriginal subject matter, but I like 'em. cool.gif Rialto Sunset and Central Park NYC.
And just to round out a third, not my own photo, but an image whose spirit I try to embody this winter. wink.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

Now I Fly, awilsondc, kite