Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 pm 
Here's a couple of comments showing differing points of view.
Quote:
My livelihood depends on the healthy economies in Whatcom, Skagit, Chelan and Okanogin counties. I also spend a considerable amount of time in the North Cascades every year, in all seasons. I fully support the introduction of grizzly bears into the North Cascades. Grizzlies belong here.
Quote:
This will put more xxxx in the cascades as hikers will need to prepare to defend themselves. If hikers defend themselves will they be prosecuted by the feds since grizzlies are protected and humans are not? Will hikers be told they must have at least one limb torn off before they're allowed to shoot?

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jeannette

jeannette
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 am 
"This will put more xxxx in the cascades as hikers will need to prepare to defend themselves. If hikers defend themselves will they be prosecuted by the feds since grizzlies are protected and humans are not? Will hikers be told they must have at least one limb torn off before they're allowed to shoot?" Given this current administration, you are probably right. Everything is upside down these days.

Joseph
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am 
You can 'comment' this to death and it doesn't really matter. When you're in proximity of the largest predator in North America and you don't know what it's going to do and you aren't sure what to do-then sh## gets real and going back and forth on the internet doesn't mean a thing. Welcome to the Wild West, spanky. Snark aside, if you're not taking bear precautions which you should be doing anyway no matter where you are, be extra sure to do so now. It will take years, probably decades for grizzlies to reach the 'prescribed' numbers and more than likely they will be 'concentrated' in habitat/food sources and/or attracted to places frequented by people-many whom will be careless with bear precautions. That's bad news for people and bears, people who end up in a confrontation with a bear because of the carelessness of their fellow humans, bad for bears who must be killed once they develop a 'taste' for human food. Over the years, the NPS has been able to separate people and grizzlies in YNP-they won't be able to do that in the NCNP backcountry as easily if at all. In the end, grizzly reintro presents a complication that heightened awareness and planning will largely mitigate. Plan accordingly, both to avoid confrontation and in the unlikely event of a confrontation.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 am 
Mountainfisherman wrote:
In the end, grizzly reintro presents a complication that heightened awareness and planning will largely mitigate. Plan accordingly, both to avoid confrontation and in the unlikely event of a confrontation.
I give it 3-5 years before some kind of confrontation requiring an intervention.
Quote:
Males roam the most, using areas from 600 to 1,000 square miles. Females use areas up to and beyond 100 square miles. Grizzlies may travel 20 to 40 miles a day.
https://fwp.mt.gov/conservation/wildlife-management/bear/all-about-bears

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 10:55 am 
I don't think there will be any kind of confrontation in my lifetime. I don't even think I'll see a Grizzly in the North Cascades in my lifetime. And I want to see one. Or just the chance to see one. And I'm not the only one that wants to see one. To get the chance to see a Grizzly Bear in Bella Coola in BC, it will cost my wife and I about $20,000 for a 5 night stay. https://www.tweedsmuirparklodge.com/packages/grizzly-bear-safari/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm 
jeannette wrote:
Given this current administration, you are probably right. Everything is upside down these days.
Oh boy. Here we go.

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 pm 
Humans in bear country, confrontations are inevitable. Hopefully, not fatal for either party.

hbb

hbb
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 pm 
Logbear wrote:
I don't think there will be any kind of confrontation in my lifetime. I don't even think I'll see a Grizzly in the North Cascades in my lifetime.
Same for me. I don't really keep track, but estimate I've encountered black bears roughly 20 times over several decades of extensive backcountry travel in Washington. I have seen cougar tracks 3 times, never seen a cougar and don't expect I ever will. Seen fresh moose droppings in the Pasatyen once, and older tracks a few times, but never seen a moose and don't expect to. The odds of me running into one of the handful of brown bears that will be moved to the North Cascades is incredibly low. I am far more likely to get struck by lightning, attacked by a dog, or get in a car wreck on the way to/from the trailhead than I am to likely see a brown bear. The odds of me being involved in some sort of confrontation with a brown bear in NCNP is so low I don't even know what to compare it to. Maybe getting struck by a meteorite?

Secret Agent Man, zimmertr
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 pm 
This should make backpacking in the cascades a lot more interesting. Last year I had a record year of seeing 26 grizzly bears (more than all my other years backpacking combined!) in the rocky mountain ecosystem. Of those 26 grizzly encounters 2 were negative and one had the potential to be very negative if I wasn't more aware of my surroundings. Regardless of your position on this topic, it takes being out in the woods to the next level which can be exciting for some but also kill interest for others depending on comfort level. You also have to be a lot more aware while hiking, no more zoning out to crush miles!

My Hiking Youtube Channel

jaysway, Mountainfisherman  Anne Elk
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:13 am 
Tweedsmuir, expense. I’m probably out of date but daily you could see griz daily on the Atnarko during chinook season.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
allan6344

allan6344
PostTue Apr 30, 2024 10:55 pm 
We tend think of "North Cascades" as the North Cascades Park but the North Cascades Ecosystem (NCE) is I-90 to the Canadian border. The Seattle Times article leads people to believe it's just the remote parts of the park but I don't see anything that says they won't be dropping them off in the Mt.Baker-Snoqualmie forest in Snohomish or King counties.

idoru

idoru
PostWed May 01, 2024 5:14 am 
allan6344 wrote:
We tend think of "North Cascades" as the North Cascades Park but the North Cascades Ecosystem (NCE) is I-90 to the Canadian border. The Seattle Times article leads people to believe it's just the remote parts of the park but I don't see anything that says they won't be dropping them off in the Mt.Baker-Snoqualmie forest in Snohomish or King counties.
Correct. The NPS did clarify this in the document that letsgobobby linked to below the Seattle Times article announcing this decision:
Quote:
The greater NCE, including its Canadian and US portions, is bounded roughly by the Fraser River on the north, the Okanogan Highlands and Columbia Plateau on the east, Snoqualmie Pass to the south, and the Puget lowlands to the west. The US and Canadian portions of the greater NCE constitute a large block of contiguous habitat that spans the international border but is isolated from grizzly bear populations in other parts of the two countries. For the purposes of this EIS, the NCE grizzly bear recovery zone within the US portion of the ecosystem is hereafter referred to as the NCE. The US portion of the ecosystem spans the crest of the Cascade Range from the temperate rainforests of the west side to the dry ponderosa pine forests and sage-steppe on the east side.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed May 01, 2024 7:22 am 
allan6344 wrote:
I don't see anything that says they won't be dropping them off in the Mt.Baker-Snoqualmie forest in Snohomish or King counties.
The record of decision says release sites will be in National Park Service lands. North Cascades National Park (and I beleive Ross Lake and Lake Chelan National Recreation areas) are the only National Park Service lands in management area. So we can assume the release sites will be in North Cascades National Park. The only time they would be released in adjacent National Forest lands if there are unforeseen circumstances:
Quote:
The NPS and FWS will prioritize use of release sites on NPS lands. National forest lands are also included as potential release sites if unforeseen circumstances prevent access to release sites on NPS lands (e.g., poor weather or aircraft issues) that could jeopardize human and bear safety. Release areas will represent prime grizzly bear habitat, while the release sites will be based on selected habitat criteria, connectivity to other areas, and the need to have grizzly bears close to one another to facilitate interaction and ultimately breeding.
It also says:
Quote:
the agencies would aim to release 3 to 7 grizzly bears per year for 5 to 10 years to achieve an initial population of 25 bears
The released bears will wear GPS collars that are designed to fall off in three to four years (or can be remotely released earlier). It doesn't say precisely where the bears will initially be released but I assume since it is in the National Park, or right next door, and it needs to be prime grizzly habitat far away from civilization, that the release sites will be in higher mountain valleys both West and East of the northern part of Ross Lake (as remote as it gets in the lower 48). This makes sense as these areas border Skagit Valley and Manning Provincial Park (which both have a small, but almost extinct grizzly population of their own). The entire goal of this experiment is to get a grizzly population that can migrate back and forth to Canada and someday, inter-breed with the much larger, and much healthier population of grizzlies in the BC Coast Range.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed May 01, 2024 8:37 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
jeannette wrote:
Given this current administration, you are probably right. Everything is upside down these days.
Oh boy. Here we go.
She prefers the previous administration, the one that sent it's followers to attack our nations capital in a failed attempt to subvert a lawful election result.

allan6344

allan6344
PostWed May 01, 2024 9:27 am 
I still don't see anything in the "Joint Record of Decision" that says they won't or can't drop them off anywhere in the NEP boundary. There is a lot of discussion meant to imply they will be in the park or wilderness areas, but nothing that says they can't be anywhere in the NEP where they think a population will survive. It may not be their preference as they discuss, but circumstances may put a population much further south than our local bias expects. Our bias is to consider the "North Cascades" as centered on Marblemount when it is not. Refer to the end of the document and the graphic for the "Area A of the Nonessential Experimental Population (NEP) Boundary". It's going to be an interesting experiment in any case.