Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pictures of Berdeen and Green Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 2:12 am 
We used that route to exit from Green Lake down to Baker Lake. Going downhill, it works well. In fact, we found our way in cloud cover with no visibility, just following terrain and a few compass bearings to reach the correct rib, then traveling steep forest down the rib. However, the last couple hundred vertical feet above the Baker Lake east bank trail was very dense brush, which would be hell to push through going uphill. It also would be difficult to find where to the depart the trail going uphill, since it’s an indistinct slope at that point. Then its thousands of feet more of steep uphill on the rib. Probably you could do it if you carefully waypointed the route on a GPS.
Green Lake Exit Route
Green Lake Exit Route
Our route started from our camp on the flat knoll on the righthand side of this photo
Our route started from our camp on the flat knoll on the righthand side of this photo
Resting at the only relatively flat spot on the way down the rib
Resting at the only relatively flat spot on the way down the rib

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am 
Matt wrote:
Thread drift, but up.gif for this shot. One doing gaitor maintenance, one wondering why there's no feeling in his hand, two wondering why-the-hell would you take a picture here. Could spin lots of stories around this picture.

then

then
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 am 
I know that spot from the lake. Superdense boggy lots of devils club and hard to know get you berings in but looks relatively tame after that first push. I am more worried about that saddle on the wilderness boundry line near ipsoot thats a classic spot for me to get off course. I will definantly start out with the usual spring day recounisence hike and see if I can make site of Ipsoot. I dont personaly use a GPS it seems when ever someone brings one they are always running around looking for 3 satilites in the trees. My approach will be just a altimiter and topo as seems to work best for me. Thats a wonderful NG topo. You guys are an awsome resource I really apreciate your help. I think my goal for this area this summer are : seperate quick in and outs too: Green lake(route somewere from Baker lake side), Berdeen lake(route from Bacon creek, Marblemount side). Blum lakes (west route) This means there will be plenty of spring day trips checkng these out in my home town this year!(grew up on the big toe of Sauk Mt). P.s. have any of you hit Berdeen from the Marblemount side?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 8:48 am 
Vorar, is it just me or does that sound like a LOT of ins and outs to cover an area that could be done once? I've not gone into Berdeen from the Bacon Creek side, but I know someone who did. It was brush city for a very long time. If you've been up Bacon Creek you know where the road crosses the river and makes a long slow left hand turn before splitting. If around that point you were to claim the ridge and get up the back side of Bacon peak you could effectively do what these guys have done via Watson lakes.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 am 
Sounds like he has time restrictions. I say more power to him. The more people we have out there that aren't turned away by a little brush, the better off we are. up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 am 
Well heck, if he wants (needs) to gain and loose all that elevation numerous times, as you say more power to him!!! I for one Vorar wouldn't mind tagging along with you on a trip or two up there. Don't let me invite myself if you'd rather hike alone.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
then

then
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 7:23 pm 
Of course your welcome to come I'll probably start checking out routes in the spring while theres still a lot of snow covering most of the brush. I wish I could do a week long tour like you guys did but it looks like I'll have to make do with several shorter trips.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 7:45 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I for one Vorar wouldn't mind tagging along with you on a trip or two up there. Don't let me invite myself if you'd rather hike alone.
Trevor and I are still planning on close to a week long in there in August. More than welcome to come along there...preferably with your closet full of Rafts. wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I for one Vorar wouldn't mind tagging along with you on a trip or two up there. Don't let me invite myself if you'd rather hike alone.
Trevor and I are still planning on close to a week long in there in August. More than welcome to come along there...preferably with your closet full of Rafts. wink.gif
Ah ha! And alterer motive for the invitation. Oh well, I suppose any invite will do. doh.gif moon.gif hockeygrin.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 pm 
Looks like a great peakbagging traverse. Already making plans.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm 
Randy wrote:
No Randy, lakes, it is a lakebagging traverse. Come back from the dark side Randy.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:15 pm 
Schmidt Alti-dude wrote:
Randy wrote:
No Randy, lakes, it is a lakebagging traverse. Come back from the dark side Randy.
He cant. It's WAY to late for him. That said, he can use one of my rafts if he wants to plug along (ahead of us hockeygrin.gif )

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 pm 
The rib route from Baker Lake has significantly more jackstraw. Emphasis on significantly.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 pm 
Dudes, believe it or not, I have a Curtis raft! lol.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 10:12 pm 
Randy wrote: