Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cooking with Esbit Stove
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 8:58 am 
I have a question for you ultralight folks in regard to cooking with esbit and/or alcohol cat stoves. I've used esbits in the past and like the light weight, but all I've done is boil water with them. I'll be in the Enchantments next weekend and our party was thinking about using esbit stoves the entire time. I'll be bringing my fishing rod and I was thinking about supplementing my meals with trout, but I've never fried a fish on an esbit stove. I don't know that it's possible. Seems like you would have to continue "feeding the fire" with one fuel tab after another, until the fish was fried. BPJ, have you tried this? Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 8:41 pm 
If you have more than two people, I'd suggest a white gas or cannister stove. Both the Esbit and alcohol stoves are too slow with more than 1 or 2. Well, if you have lots of camp time, then they might be ok... Neither stove is all that hot, and very difficult to control the temperature. They are either on or off. So if you are cooking, you might consider an adjustable stove. They really work best for boiling water. (not too good for melting snow -- WAY too slow)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 8:56 am 
Thanks for the tip. We're just going to take or real stove up there and use it, rather than try the esbit stoves all around. Next year, maybe. Appreciate the help.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
troutman

troutman
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 5:38 pm 
Don't count on supplementing your meal unless you can get to the good lakes. Nada and Snow don't have sizable fish. Expect 6" to 8" ers with the occasional 10" er. If you head to Rune or Lep or Sheild you will have better luck. Have a great time!

troutman

troutman
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 5:42 pm 
Sorry, I can't spell. That was Sheild

salish

salish
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 8:38 pm 
troutman wrote:
Sorry, I can't spell. That was Sheild
Don't worry, Troutman, I can't spell either. And thanks very much for the advice. I've never been up there and have little info on the fishing. Appreciate it. Cliff

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 9:16 pm 
Cliff, I've used both the Esbit and alcohol and both work well as you mention for boiling water. Mountain House specials. Heat and pour. For fish, take a pocket rocket type of stove and a cannister or an old Svea type. Yummmm, high mountain lake fish, can there be anything better.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
salish

salish
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 7:45 am 
Wow, that looks really good! Makes me want to take not only my Svea but my old No. 9 cold handle frypan! Hope I can get some fish like this. Thanks buddy, Cliff

Larry

Larry
PostTue Aug 26, 2003 8:55 am 
And, of course, a chunk of butter liberally laced with garlic powder and sage.

Bob K

Bob K
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 9:51 pm 
alcohol/esbit stoves have three advantages over the cannister and bottle stoves: 1) cheap (easy to make yourself) 2) don't break very easily 3) easy to get alcohol anywhere they are good for thru-hikes, but i think the light cannister stoves that boil your water in 3 minutes are as light or lighter than the alcohol/esbit stoves. i think the cannisters are also more efficient so the lower weight in fuel is an additional savings. they are slightly pricey, but unless you enjoy spending your short time in the outdoors screwing around with stoves and boiling water, the cannisters stoves (snow peak and primus) are worth it.