Forum Index > Gear Talk > Interesting Boot Article
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 3:15 pm 
I found this boot ARTICLE interesting. It was published in Infantry magazine in 1989 and I stumbled accross a reference on line and tracked down the original. Despite its military origin, the article has some good advice on boot fitting, socks, insoles, waterproof-breathable socks, gaitors and foot care. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to print it to read it. If there's any interest, I can type in the parts I found informative.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 4:10 pm 
Well, I could read it, when I stood on my head! It's upside down. TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 4:41 pm 
Not only is it upside down, it prints backwards! So everyone get your reading glasses and mirrors ready.... clown.gif smile.gif smile.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 4:48 pm 
I said you have to print it. Most of the advice is basic stuff you may have forgotten: For anyone who cares, the authors found the all leather boot caused fewer foot injuries than the fabric and leather jungle boot. "Boots must...be fitted and checked for both arch length (measured heel to ball joint) and correct foot length (measured heel to toe). It is important that a soldier be fitted for the larger of the two measurements... The best foot-measuring device available is the "Branock Device"... It is our recommendation that a soldier road march or run three to five miles before having new march boots fit, to adjust for swelling... He should wear both a thin inner sock and a thick outer sock during fitting... He should wear a rucksack weighing as close to his combat load as possible and should stand on the shoe sizing device leaning slightly forward, with some of the weight on the balls of both feet... The person fitting the boots should ask the soldier if he feels the tops of his toes touching the toe cup or pressure along the sides of the sides of the great or small toes as he leans forward. If he does, the boot is too small... The length and width of each foot should be measured two or three times to assure accuracy..." The article recommends Poron insoles 1/8" and 1/16" thick and recommends changing from the thicker to the thinner midsole when the foot swells. "A sock for marching must be dense enough to prevent abrasion of the foot, especially in areas of high compression; it must cover the entire foot with a uniform thickness; and it should have no seams, especially at the area of high pressure. The thickness of the sock becomes critical during prolonged marching; the thicker the sock, the longer it will protect the foot agains point friction. In addition, the sock must be able to transfer moisture away from the skin surface. *** This sock should be worn over a thin inner sock...even during the high ambient temperatures of summer, this sock causes a negligable increase in perspiration, yet it significantly increases the foot's protection from friction." "The...black 13-inch Gore-Tex sock made by ROCKY....keeps the foot completely dry in the harshest of conditions....it also prevents the onset of immersion and trench foot. When a soldier's feet are saturated for prolonged periods, they become tender, and marching ling distances becomes difficult. This is simply not the case when the soldier wears his Gore-Tex socks." The article goes on to talk about the usefulness of the issue Gore-Tex gaitor in cold or wet conditions. The article also says foot powder or spray antiperspirant containing aluminum chlohydrate will stop 70% of the sweating in the feet. "During the winter months, the feet should be sprayed two or three times a day for one week and then once a day for the rest of the winter..." The author also talks about blister treatment and foot care...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 4:49 pm 
FYI there is a little button on the acrobat viewer to the right that lets you flip it around clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 4:58 pm 
Oh, didn't see the little button. I haven't read anything with a mirror since grade school -- kinda fun remembering. Yes, very good info in the article.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic