Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > any interest in a snoq pass car camp/social?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 am 
A couple of friends and I will be up on one of the rampart ridge spur roads this sat nite. I'm wondering if we can make it a social as well, since it's close to town and the weather is good. mars will still be good, and if there's interest i'll drag my scope along. i'll post directions if folks are interested. the only requirement is a moderate to high clearance vehicle, as the road is kinda rough, though I have seen a civic sneak up it as well. i'm interested in meeting some new folks, such as the likkens, slugman, as well as old hands. http://www.slopeflyer.com/artman/publish/article_193.shtml

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 11:57 am 
Sounds fun but I'm scheduled to bag a peak north of Hwy 2 leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday morning so I'm probably out.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 1:17 pm 
Love to but Im working a 7pm to 7am shift. 7 days a week! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:43 pm 
I would definitely come except I am heading out early Sunday on a three-day trip to Dutch Miller, Williams, and La Bohn. Thanks for the invite. I am always up for this kind of thing. I think the idea of a "woods" social is outstanding.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 5:46 pm 
Directions just in case anyone who hasn't checked in decides to show up. The site I mention in the first post has maps. Take I-90 E from Seattle to Snoqualmie pass, take Hyak/Gold Creek (exit 54) about 2 miles E of the actual summit. Turn left and head N under freeway, then take right on Gold creek road, you will now parallel I-90 on it’s N side. Continue 2 miles until road turns dirt, climb a few thousand feet in a couple miles and look for the second left at 3.5 miles (1.5 miles from beginning of dirt), off the second right hand switchback. There is a sign for the Mt Margaret/Lk Lillian trailhead at this corner, you do not wish to follow the sign, for us it merely indicates the correct corner for a leaving this stretch of road. When you see the sign, go the *opposite* direction! Continue on the side road for a couple miles watching for a left at 5.0 miles (3.0 miles of dirt), which will take you down across Rocky Run Creek. As you proceed you will see the road you want across the valley climbing a clear cut hill, you may even see cars already near the top. Turn left as described, cross Rocky run creek and start up final approach. It will get very rocky for about a mile, then at a sharp left hand switchback it will get OK again and it’s only ¼ mile to the obvious flying site. It is located on a knob where the road makes a hard right turn, and is marked by the hang glider launch ramp. Total distance is 7 miles from turning onto Gold Creek road, 5 miles from beginning of dirt. Once reaching the ridgetop there will be an immediate left, leading in a block or two to the highest point overlooking I90, we'll be camped there. In the event there is still some weather to hide from, continue on another 1/2 mile N on the road and we'll be under cover at an alternate site back in the trees on the left. We'll most likely be at the first site, as the weather report looks good, and it's got a very spectacular view for a car camp. It's actually very simple, all you need to do is get onto the ridgeline separating gold creek from rocky run. Most folks are not arriving until 3 to 4 PM or later. My rig is a maroon '91 four runner

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Damian

Damian
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 8:17 pm 
A hang with the goat meister is time well spent. Get there early and watch him a few of his slope-heads fly their combat RC gliders. I'd be flyin' at Rampart with him if I wasn't headin' up to Glacier Peak country. MtnGoat has a way of drawing some very cool folks to a campout.

chris_c

chris_c
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 8:42 pm 
I would love to get to meet some of you guys and would love to go except that my Dad proposed a trip up to the Baker lake area and we are leaving early Sunday morning, so it will have to be another time. Great idea though! Chris

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 1:24 pm 
The weather is looking sweet and I'm packed so I'm heading up early. I hope to see at least one of you without commitments in town or who isn't out hiking, tonite!

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 2:47 pm 
Tom wrote:
Sounds fun but I'm scheduled to bag a peak north of Hwy 2 leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday morning so I'm probably out.
Does this peak have a name? smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 3:06 pm 
Yes it has a name (although the Indians called it by its glacial name). Its highest point has never been climbed and never will be. How's that for a riddle? wink.gif It also has an airplane crash somewhere on it (not that we're planning to look for it). moon.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 4:13 pm 
Ha! For the first time ever, I know the answer to one of these "Name that ..." riddles! Queest-Alb is the glacial name, "Tres Dedos" would be Spanish for the peak name (another riddle!) . I have wanted to do this one for quite a while, but I have no experience or equipment for the snowfield/glacier traverse, and the ladders sound intimidating. I would only go up there with someone experienced, and it would be too much for one day for me. I would have to camp at GF and then dayhike the summit. Good luck, and have fun, Tom.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 6:56 am 
lol.gif Cool. Have fun.
Tom wrote:
Its highest point has never been climbed and never will be.
But what do you mean its highest point has never been climbed and never will be? Why is that? You cant bag it if you dont stand on the highest point. moon.gif That would be like hiking up Mt. Si, and not gowing up the haystack! biggrin.gif

JimK

JimK
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 8:39 am 
The summit was dynamited for the lookout. It wasn't climbed before and there's nothing left to climb now.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 11:41 am 
It's kinda ironic that the first summit was by the team that destroyed it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic