Forum Index > Gear Talk > Down Fill Bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
troutman

troutman
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 11:42 am 
I don;t think the test your buddy did means anything. This is a very inclusive test considering that the results can be skued due to the amount of shaking, etc. Jardine does not live in the PNW nor does he deal with conditions as severe as ours. I honestly think that if you plan to stuff your bag into the pack without any water protection, you are setting yourself up for failure. You aren't sacrificing much by choosing a protective sil nylon or drybag style stuffsack. Regardless if you choose down or synthetic, you are not going to want to sleep in a soaked sleeping bag. If you are trying to save weight, consider ways to prevent your stuff from absorbing water. It tends to weigh down your gear which Jardine preaches to the holy lord about how saving weight is so crucial. If you want to save weight, go nekid and carry a lighter and a spyderco knife around your neck. Otherwise, don't comprimise durability or functionality over weight. Certainly don't sacrifice comfort over weight. You will find yourself giving up the sport because it isn't fun anymore. Part of the fun sometimes is bringing luxuries and making the lightweight freaks jealous because they aren't kicking back with a 6 pack at Dome Col or Terror Creek basin. A sleeping bag might save you a pound but liquid is the real culprit. There is a real skill on how to carry the least amount of water without dehydrating. More Beer, less gear is my motto.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message