Forum Index > Trail Talk > mt index memorial ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 7:37 pm 
I was up at mt index poking around and found a small memorial. It had 3 names. I only remebered the first, which was scott bennet, and the year 1996. Searched but I couldn't find any info. Seemed like an odd spot, and it sees some visitors. Does anyone know the story?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm 
Here is the story: Avalanche Suffocated 3 Hikers EVERETT - Three hikers suffocated on Mount Index when an avalanche buried their tents under 5 feet of snow, the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office said yesterday. Autopsies on the bodies of Timothy Skadan, 31, of Bothell; Scott Bennett, 28, of Gold Bar, and Fred Petri Jr., 31, of Snohomish, determined the men had died of asphyxia. The hikers were found in their tents Saturday. Search experts say the men may have been asleep when the avalanche roared down the mountain, triggered by a dramatic change in the weather. The bodies were found not far from a trailhead parking lot near the Sunrise Mine. The trio left Dec. 27 for a hiking and camping trip near Lake Serene at elevation 3,500 feet. They were reported missing when they didn't return home Dec. 29.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 pm 
Very sad... Thanks.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:27 pm 
They were actually camping right near or in the parking lot. This was the height of the heavy snows of 1998-99 and the avalanche came from a chute in the small wooded foothill immediately above the lot. You wouldn't ordinarily even think of it as an avalanche slope but under the unusual circumstances of extreme snowfall and Extreme Avalanche Hazard it became active. Garth Ferber pointed out to me the avalanche path which looked so inconsequential.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
I was up at mt index poking around and found a small memorial. It had 3 names. I only remebered the first, which was scott bennet, and the year 1996. Searched but I couldn't find any info. Seemed like an odd spot, and it sees some visitors.
This memorial?
Memorial plaque near Lake Serene mine.
Memorial plaque near Lake Serene mine.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 11:00 pm 
I read that it took about two weeks to find them and that they were practically underneath the command post of the searchers.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 am 
Yes, that's the one tigerman. There where a few candles, and some annual flowers planted. I'm not excatly sure where the mine is, but the memorial was still a ways from the parking lot/th. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge GB. Seems that was a pretty bad cycle with two young hikers dying at snoqualmie pass as well. My first impression was rockfall, or climbing accident due to the area. Even sadder reading all the details. Too many children left without their fathers. Tragic.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 pm 
Back in the 80's you could drive near the spot of the memorial. That was in the days before the current staircase trail where you took the roots and ladders trail up to Lake Serene.
Lake Serene Detail area map.
Lake Serene Detail area map.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
tigermn wrote:
That was in the days before the current staircase trail where you took the roots and ladders trail up to Lake Serene.
I have told many people about that, through the years. Those people usually have found the trail description difficult to imagine.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 pm 
Ok. That makes a lot more sense. I was going to ask if the lot was relocated... I was actually searching for the old trail. Started up a gulley not too far past the memorial, but turned back when rocks started rolling. Had a dog with me.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Ok. That makes a lot more sense. I was going to ask if the lot was relocated... I was actually searching for the old trail. Started up a gulley not too far past the memorial, but turned back when rocks started rolling. Had a dog with me.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm 
That's a sad story that I had never heard about. When I read the title I thought it was referring to the Roy Marchand memorial at the 4900' col on the back route to Index peak. Because it was just a stick in the ground, it's not going to last long. This picture was taken in 2007 so maybe it's gone already.
Roy Marchand memorial
Roy Marchand memorial
All I've been able to find so far online is this from rootsweb: Roy A Marchand was born on Aug 4, 1911 and died Apr 10, 1996. Last known residence was Gold Bar, Snohomish, WA