Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am 
boot up wrote:
Hiker Mama wrote:
I think about this kind of stuff a lot, since I'm out with my kids.
I used to hike and xc-ski with my daughters when they were little. Do you have your kids carry whistles and teach them the different meaning of 1,2, 3 blasts on the whistle. That was automatic for them to wear one on a string around their neck when hiking.
+1 When my two boys were small, I even made them wear the whistle to bed because I was afraid they might get up at night to go pee. As you said, it was just automatice. I even made little survival kits for them with w/p matches, firestarter, mirror, space blanket, and a few other things. A fire starting refresher was an annual spring event for them. I know a few of my friends thought I over did the preperation for them but heck, it gave me some peace of mind. Now that they are grown they are proficient BPers, able to handlle themselves in the backcountry. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 pm 
For those of you with small kids, unable to obtain the book for whatever reason, I found what is sort of a summary of the book, and it looks like they even borrowed from the artwork in the book. Lost in the woods. Not quite as compelling reading for little kids as I remember the book, but a good list. If you teach your kids nothing else.... At least: 1) get them a whistle and teach them how to use it (one blast"testing", two blasts "here I am", three blasts "HELP!!) 2) Lids On (for warmth). The book had an example of measuring how fast a teapot cools with or without a lid. 3) ..... eh, go over the list. all pretty important now that I think of it. Staying put, insulation from the ground, keeping calm, letting rescuers find you.....

friluftsliv
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
it said they were just a mile from their hotel
"I'm Fine", the PCT through hiker who got lost in snow Oct. 2012 west of Glacier Peak, spent 9 or 10 nights awaiting a rescue that never came. I emailed him and he gave me the location, as close as he could figure. 1000' SE and 600' below the PCT. (he extricated himself) I heard a rumor that he did his PCT trip with deliberately minimalist equipment, excluding map & compass intentionally.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am 
Thanks for the book tip. And I actually didn't know the different whistle blasts. We know that you do 3 for help. They do know to stay put (I call it hug a tree) and to answer rescuers who are searching for them. They know they need to wear their hats. Last summer we just started learning how to build fires, but I know they wouldn't be able to make one if they had to. I realized they have their whistles integrated with their packs. Might make better sense to have a backup one on their body. Lots still to learn, but my kids would love it. I've mostly been focused on keeping myself prepared, but they are old enough (especially my son) to learn more on their own. As we've stretched our comfort zone for hiking and snowshoeing this winter, we've had some close calls - my son bonked and started down the road of hypothermia, it was real scary. frown.gif My daughter did the same thing a year and a half ago. Made me feel like a bad mommy. If anything else had gone wrong, or if I had had problems myself, the situation could have been ugly. Things can switch from good to bad so quickly.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 9:12 am 
I wish we could copy and rename this thread...maybe Essentials for Hiking with Children. Though I don't currently have the opportunity, I do anticipate taking grandchildren out someday in the future (no pressure, son), and all comments have been excellent!

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am 
My next trip to town, I think I'll buy a whistle for a three year old that is already wanting to explore in the woods behind her grandparent's house. She's smart. We have started asking her which way back to the house when out with her. She has somehow learned about deer and elk tracks and which way they are going. Maybe she's a future forester? up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 11:13 am 
furthur wrote:
maybe Essentials for Hiking with Children
When I first started hiking with my boys (5&6) I made sure that they had good shoes, socks and a backpack with the kid version of the 10 essentials. While I would like to list their current contents, I will not since it's an individual decision. The one thing I do stress to my boys (now 9&8) is that if something happens to me, they are to do absolutely nothing unless they agree. I have stressed to them that if they have any doubt, they are to stay put and do nothing.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 pm 
markh752 wrote:
The one thing I do stress to my boys (now 9&8) is that if something happens to me, they are to do absolutely nothing unless they agree. I have stressed to them that if they have any doubt, they are to stay put and do nothing.
Wow... good thought there. I was just telling husby the other night that the FIRST rule of any survival situation aught to be "don't make things worse".

~Mom jeans on wheels
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
markh752 wrote:
..boys (now 9&8) is that if something happens to me, they are to do absolutely nothing unless they agree.
.. the FIRST rule of any survival situation aught to be "don't make things worse".
If you are absolutely lost then everybody should stay put and wait. If you are the leader and adult and injured (something happens) with no cell phone service then your kid's can hike out for help. They can do it. I used to be a Cub Scout. Trust me, they can do it. cool.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
They can do it. I used to be a Cub Scout. Trust me, they can do it. cool.gif
I have no doubt that my kids can hike out to the TH for help. Since they were 5 we played a game that they were unaware of. It's based on the theory of getting lost on the way back to the TH and not recognizing easy clues along the way. Since they were young, on the way back to the TH I occassionally tell them that I don't remember a stump (fork in the trail, a mound of dirt, etc). At the age of 9 they are able to tell me when we passed that fork in the trail, rested on a certain stump etc. It's not about beating your chest about being a survivalist, it's about surviving. http://www.backpacker.com/lost-frank-church-wilderness/destinations/14182 In the end it's my kids being able to make it home and not their "ability to survive" that matters. The best advise is to stay put if there is any doubt!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm 
mtngirl79 wrote:
This is my excuse for my car's constant state of disaster...lots of extra socks...
When I took my niece sledding at Rainier a couple years ago, she wanted to know why I brought all those sleeping bags along for a sledding trip. I guess I bring alot of extra crap along for no reason (that's not how I explained it to her). She was wondering why I would ever think that we would be snowed in at Paradise!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 pm 
I think it depends on the child and their personality rather than training (family training or Scouts). Having been involved in the Scouts from Tiger through Eagle with my son I observed training was a good thing, but how well it “stuck” sort of depended on the individual. You need to read your kids and plan accordingly.

AdventureStrong

AdventureStrong
PostSun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm 
If they'd only had the 10 Essentials, they'd have been good to go. It's sad the kids had to die because of their father's lack of preparation.

Exploring the World, One Trail at a Time Adventure Strong | @AdventureStrong