Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sun Top Lookout – 17 June 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostMon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm 
I was inspired by a recent post on a few lookouts in the Mt Rainier area to take a quick after work drive tonight to see if the road was now open to Sun Top. I was not disappointed. The peak is located off FR73 (before the Crystal Mountain turn off) and sits just 10 miles north-east of Mt Rainier on US forest land. There is a road to the 5271 ft summit and several picnic tables scattered around the LO making it an ideal place for a visit, day or night. While the road was still gated below the short summit trail on Saturday I was able to drive to the top tonight. There I met an elderly volunteer lookout who had just settled in the day before for a lengthy stay when the cabin was opened for the season on Sunday. We had a nice chat about the history of the lookout and he pointed out a number of things to me with his binoculars. Rainier itself was hiding in the clouds but we had open views off to the east and north. It is good to see a few of these old lookouts still manned and maintained. They are fading into history fast. Good road to the top. Three gates, all open.
Sun Top LO from the parking area
Sun Top LO from the parking area
Kelly Butte from Sun Top - The Lookout cabin is on the highpoint on the left side of the ridge
Kelly Butte from Sun Top - The Lookout cabin is on the highpoint on the left side of the ridge
Chimney Rock from Sun Top
Chimney Rock from Sun Top
This gentelman just setteled in yesterday for a stay
This gentelman just setteled in yesterday for a stay
Sun Top Lookout
Sun Top Lookout

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PeakJunkie

PeakJunkie
PostThu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 am 
also a fun ski trip there in the winter. I skied up there with my daughter Anna on my back when she was a year old... Now she'll be headed off to college in the fall...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message