Forum Index > Trail Talk > Canadian National Park fees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 2:36 pm 
This is not a complaint, just info. The Canadian national parks are amazing and rare so worth it all. Just back from there. I'll give the costs in Canadian funds. If you're going for more than just a few nights it'll cost you $75 for an annual pass to stay overnight in any park. Campgrounds cost $12-$14 per night plus $6 more if you have a campfire. Backpacking is $12 per night per tent. If we add it all up, a 6 night trip for two tents plus a night in a campground with no fire comes to $233 Canadian. It's considerably less American funds but not cheap. Thought I'd share. No problem taking bear spray across the border. It's gotta have an image of a bear on it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 3:08 pm 
Daily access fees are $5.00 CAN/adult however it may be in your best interest to buy an Annual Pass if you'r planning on being more than a week since it is $35 CAN/adult for the annual pass. $75 CAN/family sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Just consider it the equivelant of the Northwest Annual Forest Pass. On the flipside, most of our provincial parks don't charge any access fees to use the wilderness including wilderness camping. Come on up and give them a try!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 4:40 pm 
I don't recall the annual pass being $75. I think we paid maybe $50 or so (canadian). But, yeah, the entrance fees are like 5 bucks per person per day, so if you're going to go for a few days, definitely get an annual pass. I'll second the Provincial Parks too. Free parking, quality, cheap camping, great trails, the majority of the non-paved roads I've been on in the parks are in better shape than gravel roads in the National Parks in the US, and the best part...NO TOURISTS (at least not as many as the national parks).

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostThu Sep 12, 2002 7:08 pm 
Yes, unfortunately the Annual Pass is up to $75 cdn (for a group of 2-7). The annual backcountry camping pass is $42. I bought my current one, for a September trip, last year. I'll be heading up on Saturday, to squeeze in my third week, in the Rockies, before the pass expires, at the end of the month...... so not a bad deal, I guess. It's nice to know that all of the funds are going straight into the parks, and not just the general gov't coffers

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 10:37 am 
agreed
I agree....I don't mind paying the fees in Canada. It's so pristine and magnificient and they intend to keep it that way no matter what. Perhaps I should try it in August rather than September? Seems that it rains a lot in September, at least during the past 2 years. I want to go to the Yukon. Canadians tell me, "You've gotta see the Yukon!" If the Yukon blows away Canadians then a guy from the Cascades should be over the edge! I posted some drizzly pics of the lates trip on my Web page by the way. http://members.tripod.com/~MikeLittle/index.htm

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 2:39 pm 
August and Sep are usually two of the most reliable months for clear weather up here. I always used to pick Sep to vacation in because there were less people, it got dark sooner, there are less bugs, and you could always count on clear skies. I really want to see the Yukon too, especially the Tombstone Mountains.

Honey Badger Don't Care!