Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Proposed changes in use in the National Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 7:45 pm 
It's not about what's "permissible" from the ideological standpoint you're implying. It's simply about what's right to preserve the parks — no ideology needed.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:11 pm 
I don't have a problem with snowmobiles in Yellowstone. I suspect that's one of the major things driving this. If they want to tighten pollution standards, fine. up.gif If they want to keep the snowmobiles out, not fine. down.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:25 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
It's not about what's "permissible" from the ideological standpoint you're implying. It's simply about what's right to preserve the parks — no ideology needed.
So what is "right" has no ideology. Got it. And yet curiously, somehow, what is not an ideology has specific dictates that make other ideologies invalid or insupportable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:35 pm 
Yeah, it is called values. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:36 pm 
I see, those non ideological values. You guys have a great racket going!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
So what is "right" has no ideology. Got it. And yet curiously, somehow, what is not an ideology has specific dictates that make other ideologies invalid or insupportable.
I should have written what is “right” for our national parks requires no “political” ideology. If Mr. Hoffman’s “viewpoints” are invalid or unsupportable is moot; they’re simply opposed to preserving our national parks. No political ideology needed.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:42 pm 
Thats right, not all points of view are equal (thats moral relativism). Right is better than wrong, truth is better than lies and conservation is better than waste. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm 
Eric wrote:
RMNP does not have a wilderness designation.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 pm 
Does any national park have a wilderness designation? I though NPs were their own entity, entirely different from wilderness areas.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 9:08 pm 
I'm pretty sure most of the national parks in this state are designated wilderness per this map.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 pm 
Tom is right.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 9:30 pm 
NP's and Wilderness areas have vastly different rules, yet they seem to be lumped together in the wilderness discussions. Same with that site. NPs allow chain saws, but not hunting, or dogs. Visa versa for wilderness areas. Both are managed by completely different agencies. Is there a single official "Wilderness" desingnation that is, in fact, common to both? I've never heard of a NP referred to as a wilderness, except through casual usage of the term.

oosik

oosik
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 9:57 pm 
I think the way to look at it is after designating it as a park, they got around to also designating the rest as wilderness. For Washington National Parks anyway, they only did this in 1988. They may also have been a little creative on the boundaries, as I imagine places like Camp Muir and Camp Shurman were left out of it to provide some more management latitude (and helicopter access for the vault toilets). Other than that, I think they treat it the same as if it was a wilderness in a wilderness area, except whatever regulations they have for a park, they have that too.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 10:20 pm 
Any human impact in nature is waste IMO. Therefore all wilderness and parks should be off limits to humans. As such we will have maximum protection of the land. Now that's conservation! And, if you disagree with me, then you are not reasonable, and don't care one iota about parks. Therefore, I am right, since I conserve and care. This all seems very reasonable.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 10:33 pm 
Damian, wilderness can be designated on NF, NPS, or BLM land. Most of the land area of the parks here in WA were designated wilderness in 1988. Here's a copy of the NCNP portion of the Washington Park Wilderness Act of 1988 and the complete text of the act can be downloaded here.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch