Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Abandoned Trails on the Olympic Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostWed Nov 02, 2005 12:09 pm 
I saw an earlier post about abandoned trails and it listed only a few from the Olympic Peninsula. One was the Mount Lincoln Trail. I believe the NPS has reopened the trail, because in 2004 and 2005 I saw the trail had been cleared and getting some use. The trail is not marked so you would have to know where to look. The following trails are not longer maintained. There are few of these trails that are still in reasonable condition. I didn't mention some that receive limited maintainance. Most are no longer shown on the Green Trails Topo maps. A few are shown on the Custom Correct Topo Maps. All these trails are described in the Olympic Mountains Trail Guide, 3rd Edition by Robert L. Wood. Barnes Creek Trail (last 5.5 miles) Crystal Ridge Trail Anderson Ranch Trail Seek Way Trail Cox Valley Trail Ned Hill Trail Baldy Trail Old Dosewallips Trail Muscott Basin Trail Mount Olson Trail (In good condition from the Six Ridge Trail to Lake Success) Mount Hopper Trail (Faint boot track through brush can be easily followed in most places. There is ribbon tied to some trees. A few spots were tricky to follow. In 2001 I counted 125 trees across the trail in less than a mile.) Cedar Creek Trail Anderson Butte Trail Fletcher Canyon Trail Pyrites Creek Trail Finley Peak Trail Rustler Creek Trail Sams River Trail Kloochman Rock Trail Tshletshy Creek Trail Tumwata Creek Trail Mt. Tom Creek Trail Geodetic Hill Trail Bigler Mountain Trail North Fork Soleduck Trail (last 4 miles) Thats about it. So, for those hikers who like a challenge, have fun!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostWed Nov 02, 2005 1:20 pm 
Thanks HJT! I've been wondering about that pyrites way. I'm kinda glad the cartographers aren't documenting these old routes. Makes it more fun for us. On that note, I wonder who will carry on Wood's legacy? Maybe I'll do it! Heck, i'm only 25 and have enough time. The thing is..... it's mostly y'all Oldies that know of these old routes and can give the real tips. And, I haven't seen the park's change patterns since I've only been backpacking for 15 years - I wouldn't know what would be best for the park. Maybe it should be a partnership of old farts and young squirts. Part of this reply is because I notice that the ONP area gets so little internet/published play compared to the Cascade areas. Good - probably. Annoying for the squirts who are trying to find the real american pie - absolutely. For all you dinosaurs..... I'll be emailing you come spring! agree.gif

GNGSTR
reststep

reststep
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm 
A park service trail crew cleared the Duckabush River Trail from Duckabush camp to the park boundary in 2003. I don't know if anything has been done since then.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
aestivate

aestivate
PostFri Nov 04, 2005 10:30 pm 
LucBurson wrote:
Thanks HJT! I've been wondering about that pyrites way.
It's a cross-country route. It's not a trail anymore. Just another Woods-perpetuated myth. This romance of lost trails is entirely lost on me. Reminds me of various dearly held myths of national glory, loss, and betrayal, like the Old South clinging to various "war between the states" myths, or the Serbians still re-fighting their catastrophic defeat by the Ottoman turks in 1389. These trails are gone, folks. End of story.

Luc

Luc
PostSat Nov 05, 2005 12:29 am 
aestivate hey that's fine with me, I think that's still just as interesting for me. to be in a place with such mysterious history is very intriguing, especially if 99% of it is imagined or reenacted in my mind. I prefer them gone physically but would like modern-day backcountry junkies to retain the records. keeping them Woods-perpetuated myths is also an interesting and worthwhile idea. Good Ol' Woods would be pleased with that tag! rolleyes.gif

GNGSTR
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 05, 2005 1:02 am 
I'd like to go up the Goldie river and see if the cache made by the Press Expedition is still there. Wood's "Across the Olympic Mountains: The Press Expedition, 1889-90" says they left a large equipment cache and never returned for it. That would be a cool find. up.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Nov 06, 2005 2:43 pm 
One thing you have to remember about a lot of ONP/ONF trails-they weren't ever built and maintained in the first place, so I'm not sure it's correct to say they are now abandoned and unmaintained. Many were simply boot or hoof beaten routes of travel for early foresters/land managers or most often, firefighters (and before that, for Indians). Another thing to keep in mind is that some old maps show trails the forest service and NPS planned to build but never did.

mike

mike
PostMon Nov 07, 2005 12:39 pm 
Quote:
-they weren't ever built and maintained in the first place, so I'm not sure it's correct to say they are now abandoned and unmaintained. ....
Are you saying just because they weren't 'engineered' in the modern sense that they aren't to be considered trails? A several days ago I walked in the ruts of the Oregon Trail, (blowing mixed rain and snow) By this criteria it doesn't qualify for 'trail' status.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 07, 2005 4:17 pm 
Quote:
Are you saying just because they weren't 'engineered' in the modern sense that they aren't to be considered trails?
Oh, I absolutely consider them trails. I'm just pointing out that there is a bit of irony calling those trails that were never built or maintained (which was a LOT of them in ONP/ONF) "unmaintained" or "abandoned" by the park/forest.

Don

Don
PostMon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 pm 
RestStep wrote:
A park service trail crew cleared the Duckabush River Trail from Duckabush camp to the park boundary in 2003. I don't know if anything has been done since then.
As of early August 2005, the Duckabush within the park was atrocious with downed trees, the national forest service portion free and clear. I made mention of this in a post.

aestivate

aestivate
PostTue Nov 08, 2005 12:37 am 
HJT wrote:
From reading the trail descriptions from Woods' trail guide most of the trails I listed were built and maintained for many decades. But in the last twenty years or so there has been a lack of funding for trail maintainence, so the forest/park service let the trails go on the way side.
I think some of them were deliberately abandoned. Like Tshletchy, and Kloochman. But I daresay you're right in broad outline, that it was the lack of resources which drove the abandonment. Given that virtually the whole park is statutory wilderness, that clearly did not drive abandonment diecisons. Probably triaging and use levels, I speculate.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Nov 10, 2005 8:53 am 
Slugman wrote:
I'd like to go up the Goldie river and see if the cache made by the Press Expedition is still there. Wood's "Across the Olympic Mountains: The Press Expedition, 1889-90" says they left a large equipment cache and never returned for it. That would be a cool find. up.gif
Wow! Now THAT would be a great way to spend a summer. I recall that section of their route is off-trail, isn't it?

Phil

Phil
PostThu Nov 10, 2005 9:08 am 
HJT wrote: "I saw an earlier post about abandoned trails and it listed only a few from the Olympic Peninsula. One was the Mount Lincoln Trail. I believe the NPS has reopened the trail, because in 2004 and 2005 I saw the trail had been cleared and getting some use. The trail is not marked so you would have to know where to look" It's in surprisingly good shape for the distance I've followed it....maybe a mile or two. A few small blow-downs is all. Would love to take it to its end and then continue up to Lincoln.
HJT wrote:
The following trails are not longer maintained. (snip) Baldy Trail
Not maintained but still quite clear if brutal route. Add these two to your list: - O'Neil trail - trail from smith lake (north of B&W lakes) to Hammer cabin on the north fork skok; listed in Wood's first edition. I love the idea of old trails!

Phil

Phil
PostThu Nov 10, 2005 9:17 am 
LucBurson wrote:
Part of this reply is because I notice that the ONP area gets so little internet/published play compared to the Cascade areas. Good - probably. Annoying for the squirts who are trying to find the real american pie - absolutely.
So true. Though I was pretty ticked when WTA published its list of about 20 NW hiking legends and didn't number Wood among them. I'm about 1.5 hours to Glacier Peak region, compared to about 2.5 hours to Olympics, yet its a toss-up in terms of what provides a better hiking experience. Olympics more solitude, grander forests, more year-round use, and I love the history. But 2 MORE hours in car/ferry! Thats a lot of potential trail time...... but all-in-all my 5/1 Oly/Cascade hikes ratio speaks to how it plays out for me.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 am 
HJT wrote:
I've also wondered who will carry on Wood's legacy. I've noticed a few things in his trail guide that aren't accurate. For example: he mentions that a shelter exists at Sundown Lake. Its no longer there when I was there in 2004.
There are numerous examples of trail descriptions that in the latest edition had not been updated since the first! I imagine he could have used a legion of fact-checkers