Forum Index > Gear Talk > packing it ALL out.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
paul

paul
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 1:39 pm 
A kayaking friend of mine has launched a business making and selling portable poop-tubes. I'm sure we've all suffered a nasty encounter or 2 with someone elses' business in an otherwise pristine area, and this is one idea (although a mite heavy) that truly allows one to "leave no trace". http://www.thejinker.com/index.html Paul

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 11:22 pm 
I'll just eat more cheese. smile.gif

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
rino

rino
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 6:02 am 
say no to packin poop
A 2 pound poop tube and carrying out poop??? I'll bury it. Reminds me of when my kids were in diapers...that diaper genie. Read an article the other day from backpackinglight.com on going paperless.....anyone else read that crazy nonsense??

Dante

Dante
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:02 am 
Only if it's stuck to diapers. Then a large plastic jar or small plastic olive barrel lined with a couple garbage bags is the ticket. I don't get the "custom poop tube" idea. If you're going to pack it ALL out, picking it up with a plastic bag like a la a good dog owner and would be a lighter weight solution.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 9:31 am 
First, if there's ample dirt, then I see no significant benefit in "packing it out." TBS, I can't think of bigger lack of consideration than inadequate disposal in a rocky environment. What a way to ruin the few days a year when lounging on a sunny summit would be otherwise perfect. Even a brief whiff of last weekend's deposit, floating across the talus field, doesn't add much to this week's experience. If "the need arises" and diggable soil is nowhere around, then packing it out may become the most convenient option for managing the situation responcibly. A rigid, 2-lb tube seems like a great way to protect excrement from bear attack, but it's exactly the kind of overkill that can make packing it out seem too impractical to even consider. After all, it's a gross business, folks; no gettin around it. But it's even grosser when it's somebody else's hidden present, and the summer heat has been working on it for a few days or so. hurl.gif In the spirit of TMI, here's a simpler way to leave no trace. A square of garbage bag material is used as an "inverted parachute" or "hobo sack" in the receipt and collection process. Anchor the four corners of this panel with rocks. A used sandwich bag can serve as a rubber glove. An oversized ziplock serves as the primary container for receiving the hoisted package, as well as any accessory waste. A used freeze-dried meal pouch provides a durable outer container. Done. Two minutes.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Akula

Akula
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 11:45 am 
This is not a new concept. Some of our National Parks such as Zion, Yosemite and the Grand Tetons have areas that require the use of a poop tube or bag. I have also seen this requirement in Australia and Europe. Areas where the majority of the environment is rock is where I have encountered this requirement. I met hikers coming down from Mt Olympus carrying a white PVC pipe fastened to the side of their pack. They told me it was a carry over from hiking in Zion. The standard "poop tube" kit consists of a 3" piece of PVC about 2 ft long with end caps. At least one end should be threaded on. Also, carry several small paper bags, the lunch box size recommended. And to top it off, carry at bag of lime dust to sprinkle in the paper bag with the human deposit. You roll the paper bag up, slide it into your poop tube, cap it off, strap it to your pack and away you go. When you get back an acceptable dumping station, you uncap one end, and slide the neatly wrapped little bags out. I haven't personally used them, but I have used a poop bag. The article below explains things much better than I have the time or desire to http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=11397

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm 
I find it interesting that 'little plastic shovel' is not on anyone's packing list, except for mine. I wonder why that is?

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 1:28 pm 
As soon as an ice axe makes it onto a packing list, the little orange shovel becomes redundant. wink.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 1:42 pm 
I see, of course, and how did you know my little shovel was orange? huh.gif I've seen the lists which have neither ice axe nor little plastic shovel. I think this calls for a new poll.

Tophervw
UHHHHHH...GO NOW!

Tophervw
UHHHHHH...GO NOW!
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 pm 
SMOOTH rocks eliminate the toilet paper issue, where ample dirt exists... P.S. sand does not count as dirt when it is Low tide..

Akula

Akula
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 2:01 pm 
The little orange shovel is in my pack as well. That and a roll of handy dandy Charmin. I only use Charmin because I often see it advertised on TV as the preferred toilet paper that bears use when S_ _ _ _ _ _ G in the woods. Besides my little shovel and Charmin work much better than the hammer method.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
Dante

Dante
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 2:15 pm 
PVC seems like a heavy solution. Get yourself a plastic pickle jar or olive barrel from Pacific Food Importers.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 2:18 pm 
Like everything else, I suppose there's a use and even a requirement for some such devices. I admit that I have looked upon the National Park's "blue bags" with a certain amount of disdain and have been lucky enough never to have had to use one. I have always managed to dig a cathole with a stick or find a nice dig hole under a rock to use when needed in other areas. Doing most of my hiking in and around rainforests, I think that this is one case that what I leave behind, benefits the environment.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Jinkerman

Jinkerman
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 2:15 pm 
From the manufacturer
This is built primarily for sea kayakers. Larger groups are being shipped into remote areas and leaving crap and TP everywhere (I've seen it). Hikers and other flavors of landlubbers have the luxury of spreading their crap all over the continent, whereas kayakers are limited to small islands, making removal even more difficult. Throwing it into the nearest large body of water isn't acceptable. Weight is less of an issue when kayaking, so a 2lb toilet on the rear deck isn't a problem. Custom sizes are available for various reasons such as storage (behind the seat of the boat) or length of trip (some people don't go out longer than two or three days). This is a basement industry, I make hardly any money and prefer not to encounter anyone else's crap. Be it on an island on on the trail. Good luck with the ziplocks and picklebuckets, I wish you my best, truly. Just don't trip and land on the baggie. But, as for the statement "Doing most of my hiking in and around rainforests, I think that this is one case that what I leave behind, benefits the environment." ...Now THAT'S funny.

If you spend enough time in the backcountry, there's a good chance that you're going to have an unpleasant experience with someone else's idea of waste management.
Akula

Akula
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 4:42 pm 
Good on you for being environment consious and proactive in taking charge of providing a solution to a crappy problem. (sorry for the pun, I could not help myself) Having only minimal experience in that sport, I was not aware or even realizing how significant a problem it can be, but it sure is understandable.