Forum Index > Trip Reports > Duncan Hill, 7840', Glacier Peaks Region
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 08, 2006 9:01 am 
Location : 38 miles NNW of Entiat, Wa. Access : SR 97 N of Wenatchee to Entiat River Rd, 38 miles NNW to end and Entiat River TH Road conditions : Excellent Guidebooks : Wasingtons Glacier Peak Region by Manning / Spring Map : GTM Lucerne, Wa. Stats : 16 mi., 4700' gain, 8.5 hr. We were on the trail at 0830 hr. under clear blue skies with a good starting temp of 47 degrees hoping to get as far and high as we could before the sun baking. The Entiat River trail was clear, dry, and in great condition with only a couple small drainages of no consequence. The trail is completely forested with a high canopy and occasional view to the Entiat River. Around two miles in we came across the Anthem Creek jct., the tree holding the sign is uprooted and in pieces blocking the trail, but easily manuevered around. The first 1 - 2 miles of the Anthem Creek trail has areas of blowdown easily negotiable. The trail is well graded and mainly compact dirt/pine needle. It is mainly a forest romp with a high tree canopy and very short on views to the jct. with The Duncan Ridge Trail. We did see quite a few deer, chipmunks, and a Ptarmagin along the way. The Duncan Ridge trail picks up increasingly spectacular views along with increasing grade to the top of the basin / drainage headwall which you circle above at around 7300-7400' (I came strait up the snow covered basin wall some 1000' two springs ago, before being turned around by t-storms and rain) and it was at that elevation that we encountered our first trail snow, we crossed two lingering snow fingers and a couple patchy areas on the route up. On the summit, what views of The Entiat, Chelan, Chelan - Sawtooth mountains, Emerald Peaks, Glacier Peaks , valleys, meadows etc..., an exceptional vantage point. I could not believe how much snow was gone, almost all of it in this area. We stayed up there about as long as I have on a peakbag, an hour soaking in the views. As Spring / Manning hint at in there book, this area needs to be assimilated into the Glacier Peaks Wilderness, it is stunning. High up on the exposed open slopes were lupine, indian paintbrush, phlox, daisy, camas, buttercup,sunflower, aster, gentian, flax, etc..., all in all very nice. The path back was a knee cruncher and grew hotter (high 70s) and the mosquitos along the Entiat River trail were in attack mode. Back at the van I found a 75.00 ticket for not having displayed a NW Forest Pass, which I left in my truck and didn't realize it until I was at the TH.
Garland, Devils Smokestack, Rampart, and 5th of July
Garland, Devils Smokestack, Rampart, and 5th of July
Clark Mtn.
Clark Mtn.
Maude / 7FJ  and Ice Lakes Creek Basin
Maude / 7FJ and Ice Lakes Creek Basin
Mt. Fernow ?
Mt. Fernow ?
Duncan Ridge Trail
Duncan Ridge Trail
Emerald Peaks of Chelan Mtns.
Emerald Peaks of Chelan Mtns.
http://community.webshots.com/album/552045655mpAOCq

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 8:43 am 
Versus my early May 05 trip up there. I really hardly recognized the place above 6300' due to all the snow and was pushed to climb the basin wall. http://community.webshots.com/album/344620817IToHxE

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message