Forum Index > Trail Talk > HarryMajors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 5:44 pm 
I see our newest member is HarryMajors. Could he be the author of Monte Cristo Area guidebook fame? If so, is it true you are working on an update to it? In any case, whether you are THAT Harry Majors or not, welcome! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:02 pm 
The Monte Cristo Area book is excellent. I just got notice that Abebooks.com has a copy for the low, low price of only $75!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:11 pm 
Yup, it's a classic. I just got that same ABE books notification as well biggrin.gif I originally did the search a couple years ago! Because of the high prices booksellers wanted for that book I ended up copying a library copy- yeah, highly against copyright laws but what the hey biggrin.gif . Gotta tell ABE I'm not interested anymore.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:40 pm 
I walked into a used book store a few months back just snooping. When I went to pay I noticed a copy on the shelf behind the counter. I asked if it was reserved with an answer of no. Took a look and strained the budget for the same low, low price. Excellent condition. It had just came in. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:49 pm 
It does seem to be rather rare, so it sure is a seller's market for that one. I couldn't believe my luck a few years ago during X-MAS when I found a new copy of Discovering Wash. Historic Mines Vol 1 selling for $5 in a discount bin at REI.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:02 pm 
We used the book to find the old route along Mallardy/Blackjack Ridges a couple weeks ago. The book is full of interesting tidbits of obscure locations. It describes the Silver Cr trip very well (as does Discovering Washingtons Historic Mines) along with numerous other places. But we've found a few they don't know about -- like an old route up Iron Mt, a trail up Helena Peak, a trail that nearly goes to Devils Lake (goes to a mine near a waterfall), possibly the ancient route to Ida Pass, and a few secret places too good to share. It also has info on numerous minor peaks, some of which are dandy places to visit. I also copied one from the library, but have since found a copy. Anybody else have the Big Four Ice Caves trail booklet?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Karen

Karen
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 10:27 am 
Big Four Ice Caves
Yup. I am the proud owner of one copy of the Big Four Ice Caves booklet. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder