Forum Index > Gear Talk > weigh your gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 am 
Everyone talks about how many pounds, ozs., grams, etc., time to put your pack where your mouth is. How much do you really carry? Get everything out, pull out the bathroom scale, how much?, how much? Don't forget that small axe you usually bring, go get the water pump, which tent, hammock, tarp did you take last time? Don't forget the food, that overweight stove, keep goin'. Last weekend, I carried 34 lbs. up Silver Creek as far as Moly Gulch, including a quart of water at most, and I had a chair to go with my therm a rest.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 1:00 pm 
I weigh EVERYTHING on EVERY trip with my scale. I vary fully loaded (with water and food, and wether Ford is with me) from 26 lbs to a back breaking 40 lbs. I actually have lists that list all the weights of my common gear items I take on every trip. It can get obbsessive lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Nick

Nick
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 1:29 pm 
I just started several weeks ago with weighing my gear. I use a 15 pound fish scale and weigh everything. My last trip..my total weight was a tad under 40 pounds for a weekend. Ugh. I am going on a trip this weekend and am aiming to hit the 35 pound mark.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 1:45 pm 
My pack was a little over 80 pounds wet (with water, food and fuel) on my last three-day trip. I have weighed it before other (more typical) three-day trips and it is usually in the 20 to 25 pound range wet.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 2:11 pm 
I'm usually under 25 lbs for 2-3 day trips. Getting lighter every day as I figure out what I never use and what can serve dual purpose.

RandyB

RandyB
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 2:24 pm 
DJ wrote:
My pack was a little over 80 pounds wet (with water, food and fuel) on my last three-day trip. I have weighed it before other (more typical) three-day trips and it is usually in the 20 to 25 pound range wet.
You can pack a lot of Jiffy Pop in 80 pounds!

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 2:38 pm 
RandyB wrote:
Everything for a family of five except the baby and the baby carrier wink.gif Next time I'm going to take Sarbar's advice and have my daughter carry some of her stuff.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 3:01 pm 
No kidding! My pack weight went up sharply when I started taking Ford, but now I have him up to 13 lbs, hehheh, my pack weight is going back down! biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Mal Con

Mal Con
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 3:18 pm 
DJ wrote:
RandyB wrote:
Everything for a family of five except the baby and the baby carrier wink.gif Next time I'm going to take Sarbar's advice and have my daughter carry some of her stuff.
Been there done that, Nie Wieder!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 3:20 pm 
The last over night trip with Dante my pack weighed in at 12 pounds before water. Add the 2+ liters of water at around 2 lbs per and I was dealing with 16 pounds. When alone I average 20 to 23 pounds for three days. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 3:55 pm 
My pack always weighs in at about 50lbs., but I weigh around 260 so as a percentage of body weight I suppose that's somewhat low compared to most, (except BPJ, how do you get it so low? 16 lbs ??? no bag, no tent, no pad, no food ??? )

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 4:47 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The last over night trip with Dante my pack weighed in at 12 pounds before water. Add the 2+ liters of water at around 2 lbs per and I was dealing with 16 pounds. When alone I average 20 to 23 pounds for three days. TB
Did that include your Titanium gun? smile.gif Did it include the non-dehydrated food? Some backpacks weigh half as much as BPJ's full pack when they are empty...

Waiter

Waiter
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 5:17 pm 
Although a confirmed lightweight hiker, I rarely weigh my pack. Also don't keep data on elevation gain, miles hiked, gallons of gas pumped, pebbles caught in shoe, feet gained per hour, blisters popped per week, minutes spent reading NWhikers.net per lunchtime. I should quit my engineering job -- a disgrace to the profession. Know any good liberal farts jobs? Boy are the flowers starting to look great about now, by the way. I never identify the flowers but they shore look nice!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 6:29 pm 
Guess I'm kinda in with bpj, and tom. 23lb. for three days, and around 27-29 for a 5-7 day trip. returned a t-rest to rei, (don't try to dry them out by the fire, it will de-laminate) and I grabbed one that was 4 oz. heavier , so had to go back again. 4oz. of fuel cooks two dinners. you have to analize all the gear/ wt. like this. the guy was like ok. shakehead.gif the food ,clothes sm. medical kit.... are the wt. critical items that I've had to work on... oh, and miscl. bag. the stove, fuel, cookware and tarp can all be figured out (and the 1 3/4lb. down bag.) Edit: I like the fact that there are a variety of fellow hikers here, carrying different weights, and different STYLES. I'm not snooty about being able to go light, just glad to have the option. Takes a lot of getting used to sleeping out in the open for comfort...but the pay-off is great comfort on the back ect... smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 6:37 pm 
DJ wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Did that include your Titanium gun? smile.gif Did it include the non-dehydrated food? Some backpacks weigh half as much as BPJ's full pack when they are empty...
Kind of reminds me of when we spoke with Alex B. (who had done the second Pickets Traverse) in the early 60's, How did you carry both snow and rock gear and food for 10 days? Simple he said we took a pistol and ate marrmots.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn