Forum Index > Gear Talk > I need a new pack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Jul 25, 2003 10:34 pm 
Reading about your altralight trips (25 pounds / 3 days) made me weigh my pack. Its 4 stinkin pounds! vent.gif What do you guys use? Tomrow I am going to Three Queens Mountain, and then hopefully that will be the last time I use my cheap Ridge Way Pack. (I have probaly had it for six years) From now on, I am travleing light. And for starters, I need a new pack...Any suggestions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rlfinn

rlfinn
PostFri Jul 25, 2003 10:55 pm 
My 18 year old son just bought a new pack (his 1st smile.gif he got a Gregory Palisade. WHAT A GREAT PACK. I'm still carrying my 15+ year old Lowe. I traded him packs for a 1/2 mile or so and even though our packs where about the same weight, his felt about half of mine!! The suspension system has the ability to move with your hips so the bag stays stable. We looked at a LOT of packs. There are alot of packs that cost more, but I will probably by a palisade for myself next year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 25, 2003 11:31 pm 
Golite speed http://www.golitestore.com/store/products.asp?dept=1003 Or the Gregory G pack. http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GR2000 Or go here for MANY light packs. http://www.backcountrygear.com/backpack/Ultralight_Packs.cfm

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 7:53 am 
I am thinking about this one, although its kind of ugly... Buts its got a lot of space and is cheap. I also have a 25% off coupon that I need to use at REI. Only 1 pound 2 ounces!!! http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47588317&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 7:59 am 
Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:04 am 
I have a Deuter that is fairly lightweight, and it has already proven its durability in a brushy bushwack, and is a great all around lightweight pack, although not an ultralight pack. Very comfortable workhorse. I also purchased a GoLite Trek that is 2.5 pounds, so is bordering on the ultralight category. An extremely well-made pack that suits me wonderfully for very lightweight forays that don't involve a huge amount of brush that might snag things up. It fits like a glove, and really stays with me when I'm twisting through rough terrain. I'm quite impressed with the intuitive design and the nice mesh pockets and stuff. http://www.golitestore.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=PA5104&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=16

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 9:57 am 
Shop carefully, Craig, and do lots of homework. In many cases, light equals less comfortable. My main pack is the same Deuter Lar has, even though it weighs about four pounds. It's really, really comfortable. Some of the new packs are light AND comfortable, and some are just, well, light. Looking for a MS Ghost to use as a day pack if anyone wants to get rid of one for next to nothing. I really need something that isn't going to hang up in heavy brush. I have a lovely Dead Bird Khamsin 50 I'll trade ya!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:15 am 
Craig, I really like my MS Ghost but some people have found them uncomfortable. hockeygrin.gif I'm guessing you're on a thin budget so the golite might be worth a try given your coupon deal and the return policy at REI. Don't go ga ga over saving weight. Comfort and fit is more important than saving a few ounces. I would recommend posting your question over at TLB where the lightweight gurus reside. You'll get a lot of ideas and opinions. Be specific about your criteria and needs, particularly budget and planned pack weight.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 11:53 am 
Tom, I think it would be folly to even suggest a Ghost to a lighweight neophyte. IMHO lightening the contents is more important for Craig at this point. Craig, go buy a scale.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 12:13 pm 
Hey, I was a lightweight neophyte when I got my Ghost. clown.gif Nice thing about it is you don't have to worry about loading it carefully or adhering to strict ultralight principles. Comfort limit is 25-30 lbs. Here's a review. The biggest issue is it just doesn't fit some people due to the one size fits all. BTW, they're on sale at ebags right now at 10% off. Use coupon code 60993759 at checkout for another 10% off + free shipping. Click thru to ebags from ebates.com to save another 6%. That comes to $152 shipped (no sales tax vs. REI).

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 3:48 pm 
rlfinn wrote:
My 18 year old son just bought a new pack (his 1st smile.gif he got a Gregory Palisade. WHAT A GREAT PACK.
I went to REI and looked at that pack today and it does look nice. Its pretty light too. One thing that concerns me though is that the fabric feels really weak. What would happen if it got caught on a tree branch or you were fight through brush. I dont want it to rip on me.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 4:09 pm 
I've got a Palisade if that is what you're talking about Craig. 6lb 3oz for a medium is not light weight IMO. Mine is a couple of years old and the fabric is pretty tough. Better than a lot of them. I find it is pretty comfy once you get the suspension dialed in. Palisade NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 4:30 pm 
Whoops, I got my packs mixed up. I ment, and am thinking about getting the Gregory G-Pack. Although the fabric is quite thin. 2 pounds 7 oz.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 28, 2003 10:12 am 
How much do you typically carry, Craig? Do you need a good frame and suspensionsystem? Some people's bodies are more "load tolerant" than others. I find most packs reasonably comfortable. In fact I can't thing of any--including the ALICE medium ruck I carried in the Army--that have ever caused me any discomfort. My favorite pack of all times was a frameless Gregory Day-and-a-Half pack, which fit like it was custom made for me. Right now, I use an 11 oz. $35 Golite Day pack for trips up to 3-days. I carried 3-days gear in it from Peggy's pond back to the parking lot via Circle, Venus, Spade, Waptus and a looong horse trail without reason to complain . . . You are young. If your load is light enough, I would buy a cheap frameless rucksack (or better yet borrow one) and try it before I dropped $100 or more on something fancier. A small pack with no frame will also help you keep your load light wink.gif P.S. I wouldn't worry about fabric too much. my Army ALICE pack was just regular 400 denier packcloth and I abused it severely (throwing the loaded pack in and out of vehicles, etc.). I think manufacturers use a lot of the heavy fabrics for marketing purposes. If you are going to be scraping your pack on rocks a lot, maybe 1000 denier Cordura or Spectra reinforced fabric is worthwhile, but for most of us it is overkill... I can tell you I have crashed through a lot of brush with 400 denier pack cloth packs (e.g. my Gregory Day-and-a-half) with no damage significant enough to recall, if any.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jul 30, 2003 3:02 pm 
I am still looking around. I cant really say how much I usually carry because I have never weighed my pack before, and it usualy always different, depending on where I am and what I am doing. I was looking at those cheap little packs. That might be the way to go. Thanks.