Forum Index > Gear Talk > water filter maint.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 8:07 pm 
Just searched the water filter threads, but did not find this in them. Should I run a light bleach solution through my sweet water filter? I read this somewhere, and it makes sense, to kill the nasties on one side of the filter. SO WHAT DO YA THINK?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 8:40 pm 
Naw, that is really not going to do much. Just rinse it out good when you get home with plain water, and give a couple of swirls on the inside with the brush you use to field maintain it. After rinsing off all parts, let dry completely before storing. This includes making sure the filter part is totally dry. Otherwise things might mold. With some of the devices that use iodine as part of the filtration/purification, bleach can actually be harmful. The only time I use it is when my filter hoses, hydration system, or water bottles get, er, greebly. eek.gif If you want to read more about water safety, different things used to clean water, and other related things, check out next month's Washington Trails Magazine, I've got a big old feature on the subject.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 9:15 pm 
thanks, marylou! OHH yeah it's iodine gulch now I get it. umm what is iodine gulch?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 11:01 pm 
Um, nothing! Okay? Just do what I say and everything will be fine!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 04, 2003 10:59 am 
I have a Sweetwater Guardian filter & wanted to know about proper long-term storage so I contacted them & their customer service replied that you can place the cartridge part in a freezer bag and leave it in the freezer to help prevent mold. Before doing this you can pump a solution of a few drops of household bleach in a gallon of water (roughly-you can email Sweetwater for the exact info) thru the complete filter system, take it all apart and let dry completely, and then freeze the cartridge only. This is for long term storage, not if you are regularily using the filter. Sweetwater in their manual says to be safe you should replace the cartridge every season but I don't know if this is just a way to sell more cartridges at $35 a pop! I had left another cartridge for many many months in the freezer & didn't want to take a chance so I bought a replacement cartridge to be safe. With that one I did the bleach treatment when I stored it away long term. (I don't use a filter that much!) Anyway, if you do what marylou says you shouldn't have a problem, because Sweetwater doesn't even mention purifying the cartridge with bleach in their literature.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 5:47 am 
Thanks, oh, and M.L. I think it's my turn for these...... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif lol.gif