Forum Index > Gear Talk > Kudos to Suunto.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:04 am 
I bought a Suunto Metron (do everything) watch a year and a half ago (or so). I use it for running (heart rate monitor) and back packing. On my last trip with Tom D. I cracked (all the way through) the crystal. Well that's no bloody good, I said. I'll have to send it back for repairs. Now this watch had been used! From scratches to band wear. So I called and got meself an RA number and sent her back. Three weeks later I get a NEW WATCH! What the heck I said. This isnt right. So I emailed them and asked about the new watch. They said, "Your welcome." Well now, that's some kick ass warranty service. I wrote them a letter of thanks for that one. I'd say you can be rest assured about your purchase with Suunto. Tom B up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 3:11 pm 
All that stuff is probably made in China and costs them all of $5. Kind of like all the REI brand stuff.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Marmot

Marmot
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 3:41 pm 
Where the product was made, and how much it cost them is not the point here. The point is BPJ received very positive customer service and wanted to share a good experience. As one who works in customer service, I can tell you that you generally don't hear about the good experiences, mostly the bad ones. BPJ, glad to hear you had a good experience there, and good on ya for writing to Suunto to relay your positive feelings.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:10 pm 
ditto.gif up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 9:54 pm 
I remember you were turbo bummed up at the Foss when the watch cracked, and then the camera went in the drink. embarassedlaugh.gif Glad it all worked out you, Yosemite. winksmile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 10:10 pm 
Sounds like they did right by you. up.gif Good on them. When we are hard on our gear (I am) and they take care of us, the world is a better place. I got a Deuter pack, on pro deal no less, and they are exchanging me for a different pack. I was having durability problems due to the fact that the one I got is not all that great for the kind of off-trail stuff I like to do. They told me that the pack was not exactly made for those purposes, but that they wanted to do right, and they did. up.gif Steve, what's with the China crack? Some of the Brand stuff, especially the gear, is not half bad. I wish it were made in the US, but alas, no one is really doing that any more, and if one company did, they could not be competitive...plus most consumers don't really give a dang where stuff is made any more, they just want it CHEAP. Not that I'm biased or anything.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 3:02 am 
Thanks people. Certainly they didnt HAVE to give me a NEW watch. They could have replaced the crystal. Hell, you can bet Rolex wouldnt have given me a new watch if I had cracked the cystal on my Sub Mariner. TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 4:44 am 
Hey Joe, how's the G3?. Get it back yet? NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 5:55 am 
Yes sir I did get my G3 back. Now that you mention it, that was a GREAT deal too. I dropped my camera in the water and killed the DC to DC converter. Canon repaired it, upgraded the firmware, cleaned and checked everything for NOTHING! Really good luck that Ive had within my bad luck! TB

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 2:35 pm 
Not a story with a happy ending, but... I was carrying my camera on a tripod near some tidepools down in Calif, first day of a two week vacation, and you guessed it, I slipped and the tripod/camera/lens slams down onto the rocks- camera body goes flying off the tripod into a pool of starfish and anemones, lens breaks and goes flying into another pool. I'm sitting there on my butt cursing up a storm- the worst thing that could have happened when slipping near a tidepool happened. mad.gif Let's see, skinned knee, stubbed toes, lens in salt water..casing cracked, camera body broken with circuit boards visible in salt water, making a strange electrical noise. bawl.gif But at least I hadn't filmed anything yet!-no lost images! biggrin.gif Worst part was having to buy replacement camera gear at short notice and pay way more in the process. Now when I go out and take tidepool shots (yes, I never learn) I have everything stowed until I'm ready to take the picture. up.gif

Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 4:37 pm 
You can get all sorts of good treatment and goodies with a pen. I had a friend who made something of a hobby out of doing so in college. She'd write complaint letters all the time and get all kinds of comps. I don't know if she ever wrote any thank-yous afterwards, though...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 1:47 pm 
I think that you have to be just as ready to write thank you's as you are complaint letters. TB