Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any Springs Upstream from Goldmyer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 11:47 am 
Besides the first spring on the far shore above the mine (that the owners closed, IIRC, for liability reasons), are there any other hotsprings on Burnboot upstream from the Goldmyer property? I figure some of you Avalanche Lake explorers might have found more during your wanderings.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 11:57 am 
wouldn't they have had to stay at the water line to find that? Unless you could smell them I'd guess. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:27 pm 
Or see the steam if it was cold. The time I went to the upper spring I hiked up the valley for 30 or 40 minutes before returning to my friends. The part I saw was not too bad...

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 1:36 pm 
There are apparently two more along Goat Creek somewhere, still on the property. Both closed to the public.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 2:30 pm 
I once trekked up Burnt Boot Creek from Goldmeyer with Martin Jensen in 1981 and then a year or so later again. We traveled both sides of the creek (a brushy route not recommended) to the Edds Lake outlet creek, climbed it to the lake, then over Bumble Bee Pass, along the Katwalk, and out the PCT Trail down to Snoqualmie Pass. An arduous trek to say the least. We saw no evidence of any further hotsprings along Burnt Boot Creek in that section on both our treks. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:38 pm 
I wend up to Goldmyer yesterday. I asked the caretakers about the upper spring. They didn't know much about it. One of them said she hadn't heard anything about them in five or six years. They didn't say it was closed or that I couldn't look for it. Burnboot Creek was raging, though, so I was content to soak in the main spring for a couple hours and then go home. I may head back up there again next spring after the snow melts and do some exploring. Members of nwhikers.net probably already know this, but there's a nice elevated bridge near Goldmyer where you used to have to wade across the Middle Fork up.gif On the other hand, part of the Middle Fork is running down couple hundred yards of the road beyond the Dinford Creek gate. Fortunately, someone has built a decent footpath so you don't have to wade.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 8:27 pm 
I've been up and down Burnt Boot Creek a couple of times, partially in snowy conditions, never saw any other geothermal activity... but it's a lot of ground to cover, so who knows...

Sewellel

Sewellel
PostFri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm 
I know it's not quite in the context of your specific Burnboot ask, but I know of three other mineral springs in the Middle Fork valley above Goldmyer. One is warm, and the other two cold.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm 
WHERE!?

Sewellel

Sewellel
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 am 
The “warm spring” is on the Middle fork trail on the South side of the river, roughly 1.25 miles upstream of Goldmyer. It is impossible to miss, spraying up out of a pipe right next to the trail. There is an old pool that someone built up out of rocks to capture the water, but it is very shallow and largely algae filled. Years ago there was a brush there that people could use to scrub the pool. I am not sure of the temperature of the pool. It feels warm during the winter, and slightly cool during the summer. It has that familiar sulfur smell, of course. Not to far beyond the warm spring is a cold one. Look for an old steel 55 gallon drum on the South side of the trail. Next to it, there will be a pipe sticking out of the ground with cool water flowing out, and that familiar sulfur smell again. The other “cold spring” that I know of is on the Middle Fork road itself, in the ditch on the North side of the road. It is upriver from Goldmyer less than a mile, but I don’t remember exactly how far. Look for a reddish-orange band of dirt in the road, and stop there. A small flow of water will be coming from an old pipe in the ditch, with some algae growing around it.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 12:56 pm 
Sewellel wrote:
The “warm spring” is on the Middle fork trail on the South side of the river, roughly 1.25 miles upstream of Goldmyer.
I think that is supposed to read "downstream" from Goldmyer. In any case there is a warm spring spraying up out of a pipe right next to the trail about that distance down from Goldmyer along the Middle Fork trail.

Sewellel

Sewellel
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 2:24 pm 
The one I am speaking of is most definitely upstream of Goldmyer. It is beyond the old mine bridge site.

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:39 pm 
Yup. It is definitely upstream from Goldmyer.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm 
Its upstream!!!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 3:00 pm 
Sewellel is right on, and I don't know of any others on public land. All three of these are a result of mining explorations in the 60s. Geyser spring - 1.6 miles up the Middle Fork trail from the Goldmyer bridge. I'm eager to see this during a cold snap -- maybe it develops a ring of ice. Barrel spring - .1 mile farther up Middle Fork trail. It has a shower head on it now, probably used by miners to clean up. Ditch spring - .3 miles up the Hardscrabble road from the Goldmyer turnoff, left side in the ditch. I have not measured the temperature of any of these springs, but they are definitely not warm enough to soak in.
Geyser spring
Geyser spring
Barrel spring
Barrel spring
Ditch Spring
Ditch Spring
There is a small seep above Goldmyer hotsprings but it is not maintained, full of algae, and not a pleasant place to be. The public is not allowed there because of the danger of slipping into Burnboot creek which could be fatal. It's on the Goldmyer property and if the caretakers don't know that then they are new and haven't read that section of the guidelines.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr