Forum Index > Photography Talk > Anyone using the Olympus Stylus Weather Proof Digital?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Dec 02, 2003 11:31 pm 
We've been considering the 4 mp Olympus Stylus after reading about it's water resistant features and more durable metal casing. I'd like a camera I can whip out of my pocket in the rain without cringing at the thought of the water beading off my jacket tanking my 400$ investment. We're hoping this is the answer but wondered if anyone has had the opportunity to try it in the field?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 02, 2003 11:58 pm 
I saw one over at Costco a while back and coudn't figure out why they touted them as weatherproof. The clamshell lens cover didn't seem weatherproof at all - perhaps the lens itself is weather sealed. My experience with digicams is that they can handle moisture just fine, and normally you won't be shooting much in inclement weather unless you like to document misery and suffering. embarassedlaugh.gif A couple years ago my beloved G2 fell in a creek with me and was completely immersed in water. The inside of the lens didn't get wet and it survived just fine after placing it on a food dehydrator for a few days. Earlier this year my G3 took a spill and it worked just fine after drying it out in the sun. In both cases I was careful not to turn on the camera knowing the inside was soaked. BPJ will tell you... just don't drop one in Iron Cap Lake. doh.gif I say put the camera in a plastic baggie if you're worried. Nothing wrong with the Stylus. I just wouldn't place a high value on the weatherproofness - make sure the other aspects of the camera (or lack thereof) are right for you.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Dec 03, 2003 12:43 am 
"Weatherproof" isn't the same as "waterproof"- maybe water-resistant would be more accurate. I'd still try to protect the camera from moisture as much as possible. The only true waterproof cameras are those specifically made for use underwater or any camera in a sealed clear-plastic case.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Dec 03, 2003 5:57 pm 
Sorry for the slight thread drift here, but I'm partial to the Aloksak for protecting my digi from moisture. They are basically fancy Ziploc bags, I keep my digi in one inside its case to protect from wetness. It hink they are all over backpackinglight.com too iffin' I'm not mistaken.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods