Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jordan Lakes, Granite Lakes, Whale Lake Loop (7/5-7/8/07)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 8:51 pm 
Tom and I just got back from four days (7/5 to 7/8) bagging some lakes in the North Cascades. We had great weather and I had a really good time. Day One: The trip into the Jordans wasn't too bad. Pretty area. We opted to walk around Lower Jordan when we probably should have rafted it. Upper Jordan was neat...liked that little tarn on the right side that's built right into the lake. I was exhausted after the first day. Not sure if it was the heat or just the fact that this was my first real trip of the season, but I was ready to settle down in camp when we found a good place at Upper Jordan that wasn't under snow.
Great suggestion for the MFK gate
Great suggestion for the MFK gate
Tarn en route to the Jordans
Tarn en route to the Jordans
Lower Jordan
Lower Jordan
Arriving at Upper Jordan
Arriving at Upper Jordan
Mmm. Tasty.
Mmm. Tasty.
Upper Jordan
Upper Jordan
Day Two: We had a good time rafting Upper Jordan and eventually headed over to rise up to the tarn above it. It looks like the high country is a little behind in the melt this year and the tarn hasn't thawed out yet. After a brief break we headed up, navigating the cliffs to gain the ridgeline. I had a really scary incident coming down from the ridgeline above Upper Jordan to Upper Granite. I broke through some snow and went into an uncontrolled slide headfirst down the snowfield. I managed to get myself turned around in time to hit a rock ledge and absorbed most of the impact with my feet, but the momentum carried me over to land on another ledge 5-6 feet underneath. When I stopped, I was hanging with my top half over empty space. Another few inches and I would have gone into a 25 foot hole headfirst. After that we went out of our way to avoid any questionable looking snow-covered talus. That boulder field was totally treacherous...wet rocks, thin snow, and huge gaping holes that'll swallow a small vehicle whole make for a really bad combination. We made it the rest of the way down and rafted across Upper Granite to the isthmus to camp for the night. Camping at Upper Granite was incredible...what a neat place out in the middle of those two very different water bodies.
Tarn on Upper Jordan
Tarn on Upper Jordan
Leaving Upper Jordan
Leaving Upper Jordan
Leaving Jordan Vertical
Leaving Jordan Vertical
Leaving Jordan Pano
Leaving Jordan Pano
Tarn above Upper Jordan
Tarn above Upper Jordan
First views of Upper Granite
First views of Upper Granite
Phenomenal colors
Phenomenal colors
Upper Granite Pano #1
Upper Granite Pano #1
Upper Granite Pano #2
Upper Granite Pano #2
Day Three: We left camp and gained the ridgeline to just left of the low point. Steep stuff and a few cliff bands to navigate. On the other side, there was a steeeep, steeeep gully down but it was filled with hard snow and slick mud, and after the previous day, it didn't seem really smart to tempt fate. We ran the ridgeline toward the outlet of Lower Granite and left it when we saw a faint track heading steeply down to the right into hard pack duff and toward another boulder field. Fun trip up to the tarn above Lower Granite. Even though it was frozen over, that was a neat boot path. From there up to the saddle was a cinch and we had great views. Traversed along the ridgeline toward Whale, keeping high. We were thinking we'd need to camp somewhere along that traverse because it was getting late, but the whole backside was snow covered. So about halfway along, we rose to the 5400' gap and looked for a nice melted out patch. Ran the ridgeline and found a place to call home at 7:30pm or so.
First views of Lower Granite
First views of Lower Granite
Lower Granite Outlet
Lower Granite Outlet
Looking Back on Upper Granite
Looking Back on Upper Granite
Arriving at Lower Granite
Arriving at Lower Granite
Shoreline along Lower Granite
Shoreline along Lower Granite
Cliffs above Lower Granite
Cliffs above Lower Granite
Point 6780 from Tarn above Lower Granite
Point 6780 from Tarn above Lower Granite
Tarn above Lower Granite
Tarn above Lower Granite
Snowking and Kindy Ridge
Snowking and Kindy Ridge
Point 6870 from Ridge Camp
Point 6870 from Ridge Camp
Day Four: We thought the rest would be cake. Turned out to be harder than expected. Navigation enroute to Whale wasn't as straightforward as it seemed. There are a ton of gullies with cliffy exposed bands to navigate. Staying high, most of them weren't really issues, but we had to deal with the last few as we dropped down to the ridgeline above Whale. I had seen traces of bootpath in exposed heather elsewhere along the traverse, so I totally expected some sort of bootpath from the flat ridgeline down to Whale, but there was no sign of a bootpath there. Also nothing but faint traces of boot wear on the route from Whale back down to the Slide-Enjar/Hamar trail. We got cliffed out at the confluence of two rivers (outflow from the meadows above and one that wasn't shown on the map) and had to backtrack 200-300 feet to find a way to cross the gullies. Other than that it was easy walking...a mixture of meadows, reasonable brush on the gentler slopes, nice duff under tree cover once you hit the steep section and really started to drop. Just really weird that we never saw a really defined trail. I saw boot wear once we hit the duff, and we hit the Enjar/Hamar trail exactly where the boot path is supposed to take off, but I seriously can't believe that was the path...there was no real sign of tread. From there down to Slide was uneventful but exhausting. That trail has got to be the craziest navigational exercises anywhere in the state. Bobbing and weaving through brushy boulder fields, up and over and around blow downs and deadfall, with sections of the trail obliterated from particularly nasty blowdowns. Seemed like forever before we got to Slide. We should have rafted Slide. It was long, and the trail around it was in particularly nasty shape with tons of fresh blowdowns that haven't been cut yet. I think we made it out to the trailhead at 8pm. Tom thankfully offered to ride his bike back the 3 miles back up to the truck (my feet were toast at that point) and picked me up at the Slide trailhead at 9:30pm. Summary: Really glad we had four days. Great weather on the first 3, overcast on the last, but the sun came out when we needed it at the lakes. Bugs weren't bad at all. Only bummer was that the two tarns above Upper Jordan and Lower Granite were all frozen over.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ScottM

ScottM
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 9:03 pm 
I'm not sure but at first I thought it looked kind of similar to this one.
silver lakes pano4
silver lakes pano4

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 pm 
Scary slide incident....VERY glad you are ok! eek.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 4:22 am 
eek.gif So was I! Other than that, a really enjoyable trip. Too bad we got clouded out the last day but I guess it helped me pare it down to 12 pics per day. clown.gif
Tarn 4260
Tarn 4260
Stream Crossing
Stream Crossing
Arriving at Lower Jordan
Arriving at Lower Jordan
Going around Lower Jordan
Going around Lower Jordan
Outlet Falls From Upper Jordan
Outlet Falls From Upper Jordan
Pollen at Upper Jordan Logjam
Pollen at Upper Jordan Logjam
Upper Jordan From Outlet Stream
Upper Jordan From Outlet Stream
Rafting Upper Jordan
Rafting Upper Jordan
Upper Jordan Side Tarn
Upper Jordan Side Tarn
Upper Jordan From Camp
Upper Jordan From Camp
Mike Rafting Upper Jordan
Mike Rafting Upper Jordan
Avalanche Remnants at Upper Jordan Side Tarn
Avalanche Remnants at Upper Jordan Side Tarn
Upper Jordan from Side Tarn
Upper Jordan from Side Tarn
Upper Jordan and Side Tarn
Upper Jordan and Side Tarn
Looking Back to Upper Jordan Inlet
Looking Back to Upper Jordan Inlet
Leaving Upper Jordan
Leaving Upper Jordan
Arriving at Tarn Above Upper Jordan
Arriving at Tarn Above Upper Jordan
Tarn Above Upper Jordan
Tarn Above Upper Jordan
Leaving Tarn Above Upper Jordan
Leaving Tarn Above Upper Jordan
First Views of Big Granite
First Views of Big Granite
Zooming in to Big Granite Inlet
Zooming in to Big Granite Inlet
Big Granite Outlet
Big Granite Outlet
Big Granite Inlet Pool
Big Granite Inlet Pool
Morning Reflections at Big Granite
Morning Reflections at Big Granite
Big Granite Cove
Big Granite Cove
Leaving Big Granite
Leaving Big Granite
4679 Granite from Ridge
4679 Granite from Ridge
4679 Granite Inlet
4679 Granite Inlet
Point 6780 from Ridge Between Granites
Point 6780 from Ridge Between Granites
Big Granite and Point 6377 From Ridge Between Granites
Big Granite and Point 6377 From Ridge Between Granites
Baker From Ridge Between Granites
Baker From Ridge Between Granites
Descending to 4679 Granite
Descending to 4679 Granite
Mike at 4679 Granite
Mike at 4679 Granite
Arriving at 4679 Granite
Arriving at 4679 Granite
Rafting 4679 Granite
Rafting 4679 Granite
Outlet Waterfall from 5564 Granite
Outlet Waterfall from 5564 Granite
Point 6780 from Ascent to 5564 Granite
Point 6780 from Ascent to 5564 Granite
Arriving at 5564 Granite
Arriving at 5564 Granite
North Cascades From Traverse to High Camp
North Cascades From Traverse to High Camp
Snowking from Traverse to High Camp
Snowking from Traverse to High Camp
Eldorado, Boston, and Johannesburg from Traverse to High Camp
Eldorado, Boston, and Johannesburg from Traverse to High Camp
Big Granite From High Camp
Big Granite From High Camp
Arriving at Whale Lake
Arriving at Whale Lake
Whale Lake Inlet Falls
Whale Lake Inlet Falls
Leaving Tarn Above Whale Lake
Leaving Tarn Above Whale Lake
Looking Back To Whale Lake
Looking Back To Whale Lake
Leaving Slide Lake
Leaving Slide Lake
Slide Lake Ponds
Slide Lake Ponds

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 6:42 am 
Beautiful photos and great TR - this is the stuff that inspires me to get out and go- and boy, what a scare that slide must have been. Glad you're OK. P.S. DHM - love that first pic wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 am 
Thank God Mr. Michael is ok. I think this deserves a pizza and beer tonight on me! What a great trip and pics guys. Wish I could have gone along. So did you stay at big Granites inlet? THere is a cool camp site at big Granite's outlet. Did you make it to Upper (Little Granite) Granite's outlet? That outlet area is really neat. Thanks for the pics.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ree

ree
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am 
Beautiful pictures, guys, and great tr Mike. Glad you made it back safe. smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am 
Glad you are ok Mike! eek.gif eek.gif What a great trip for you guys. Why did you resist rafting those two times? Was it just the effort to inflate, etc?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 12:02 pm 
Why resist rafting? Here's the process: unpack raft and thermarest, inflate raft and thermarest, put camera in waterproof bag, take off boots, pack boots and poles, find good launch spot, try not to get wet getting in, pull pack onto raft without dunking into lake, raft lake, find good spot to dump pack and exit raft, exit, dry off, wait for raft and thermarest to dry, deflate raft and thermarest, re-pack, put on boots... BPJ, nope we didn't have time to check out the Granite outlets or the lower pots. Maybe if we ever go in the normal way. Is there a trail from Big Granite's outlet to the inlet? I was surprised to see so much impact at the inlet where we camped as it doesn't look that easy to get over there without a raft. Also, is there really a WC at Granite No. 2? I've never seen WC labeled on a USGS Quad. Something makes me think the map maker was having a little fun with that one. hmmm.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 1:47 pm 
There is no trail from big Granites outlet to inlet. Rafting is it. Remember, they flew float planes in there prior to the late 70's. Im sure thats where most of the inpact came from. What is a WC? Ive been around both the Pots.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 1:52 pm 
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 pm 
You could have just told me. hmmm.gif I dont know what one is, but Ive been at that end of the lake and there is no (I dont know what one is) water closet!!! lol.gif moon.gif doh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 pm 
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 2:18 pm 
Well then.... I sure didnt see anything like that. Ive hiked from the road around the lake up the draw to Big Granite and I never did see anything like that... Seems krazie to me to put something like that at that crummy little lake and not one of the big lakes.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
I've never seen WC labeled on a USGS Quad. Something makes me think the map maker was having a little fun with that one.
Let's leave the joking to the pros. clown.gif WC= Witness Corner: A monumented survey point being used as a reference, usually located near a section corner. A witness corner is used when the corner is so situated as to render its monumentation impractical (as in a lake). Great TR and photos, by the way! I'm surprised there wasn't more snow.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?