Forum Index > Trail Talk > Late Season experience in the Enchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 9:05 pm 
Hello All, I want to pick the brains of the experienced folks here. I am heading up there with a group of other experienced backpackers this weekend. Planning on staying at Colchuck Friday night, Upper Enchantments Saturday night, and hike out via Snow Lakes on Sunday. I know there is an iffy section near Lake Viviane on the slabs, and if it looks too dicey then we will go back via Asgaard pass. We plan on having full winter kits, with snowshoes. Any recommendations on where to camp in the Upper Enchantments? Any suggestions on a fairly easy peak to bag? (I have already done Colchuck and most of Dragontail...) Thanks in Advance for all the sage wisdom that will be dispensed! Jason B

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 9:09 pm 
Little Annapurna is a walk up.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 pm 
The slabby section below Viviane isn't bad at all. It's exposed and typically melts out on the nicer days and tends to stay clear later than you'd imagine. The section coming down *TO* Viviane from Leprechaun on the other hand is often a royal pain in the arse. I've never liked that section. You'll probably be okay if you're careful on the rungs, but it tends to have melt that ices up the rocks in all the wrong places. Worst case, if you really wanna go out that way, you might try traversing down to Temple Lake from the area around Gnome Tarn. Should be reasonably clear on that hillside and it's totally passable. If you're camping in the Uppers, I'd recommend camping at the lower end of the Brisengamen Lakelets, near the overlook to Crystal. There are a couple of nice prominences there that give a good view of the lakes below. Gnome Tarn's also not a bad place to set up camp. I love the view back toward Annapurna from up around Prusik Pass, especially once the snow has fallen. Camping at Snow Lakes will be suck, even more than normal due to the low low low water levels (think 50 feet below the shoreline). If you do end up heading out Snow Creek, I'd camp near the dam, so you'll at least be able to easily pump water from the "Lower" lake (that's ironically flowing into Upper Snow Lake at this point in time).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 9:37 pm 
A TR from Portland Hikers on the Enchantments is here. Trip was from 9-29 thru 10-2

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 8:48 am 
Thanks for the info guys. DHM, I expect the slabs to be fully covered with snow, is that an incorrect assumption? Would they be easier or harder with full snow? We are looking at taking at least one 30m 8mm rope, would we want to rope that section? Would yaktrax or something like that help over that section? Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am 
Probably won't be fully covered with snow, because they're tilted slabs and they melt fast. Which is exactly the problem. If they are melting during the day and then freeze at night, they can have an ice layer. A rope for a handline would be an excellent idea.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 9:47 am 
Jason, If you are talking about that one section next to Lake Vivianne with the rebar that is slabby and with some exposure, you can avoid it completely by traveling to the south a bit, and making your way around. I'm sure there will be cairns. You end up going down a low angle slab area, then scrambling down a steep dirt trail next to trees, with abit of exposure next to the trees. I thought it was very doable, although a rope might be nice to have there too. Edited to add: this is just a small detour to get around Lake Vivianne. You still have to go down the slabs below Lake Vivianne that lead you to Snow Lake. I've been on those slabs with snow, and it's no problem. The main problem was just getting around Lake Vivianne. A picture with a hiker in red jacket making their way up this section. I thought it was less steep than it looks in the picture:

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 10:26 am 
So whats wrong with carrying a little insurance with some steel crampons (flexible/semi/step in depending on boots) that will bite through the snow and ice right down to the granite. It sure beats the heck out of going all the way back to Aasgard when one is over looking Snow Lake.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 11:50 am 
I confirm the report of DayhikeMike, who I saw in the Upper Enchantment Basin on October 13, when my ultrafriends and I did a one-day hike/run through the Enchantments. The slabs below Lake Viviane and Trauma Ridge, which are generally south aspect, were dry and solid. I also agree with Mike's observation that snow camp in the EB would be superior to Snow Lake camp.

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 2:19 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
So whats wrong with carrying a little insurance with some steel crampons (flexible/semi/step in depending on boots) that will bite through the snow and ice right down to the granite. It sure beats the heck out of going all the way back to Aasgard when one is over looking Snow Lake.
Yeah we are debating taking crampons.. however I wonder if they will do any good on icy slabs? Thanks for the info Big Steve and Jen... Jen is the picture in your post the alternate route? Jason

Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 2:47 pm 
Yep, that picture is of the alternate route around Lake Vivianne, which you can take instead of the rebar slab.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 2:51 pm 
I highly doubt you'll need crampons, but you may want to carry them as a precaution if there is some weird melt-freeze cycle. We encountered wind crust, wind-packed powder, slush and crud in the basin, but nothing on which crampons would assist. Firm boots worked fine for us, and some in out pack wore running shoes. I suppose that Trauma Rib might hoar up a bit in weird conditions, but it melts out quickly cuz it's south aspect.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 pm 
Just flew over the Enchantments today. There looks to be more snow up there than when we visited a couple weekends ago but I'm guessing with the warmer temps this week you should have similar conditions to what we had. Forgot to bring an adapter to transfer the pics to my laptop so it may be a day or so before I post the aerial shots. doh.gif

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostWed Oct 24, 2007 5:20 am 
Thanks for the updated information Tom. Jason

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 am 
Tom wrote:
Just flew over the Enchantments today. There looks to be more snow up there than when we visited a couple weekends ago but I'm guessing with the warmer temps this week you should have similar conditions to what we had. Forgot to bring an adapter to transfer the pics to my laptop so it may be a day or so before I post the aerial shots. doh.gif
Interesting. I was on a flight to Spokane Tuesday morning myself. We flew right over Colchuck Lake. I was able to see lake Ann and Fortune Peak (where I had been a week and a half ago). I forgot that I had my camera until we were past Wenatchee doh.gif I'll be looking for your pics Tom hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing