Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lake Isabel cleanup...Saturday 6/13/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm 
All. The shores of lake Isabel need a spring cleaning. And I need help. Unfortunately some one in the past placed this contractors style tool box along the shores of the lake. Even worse because it looks so much like a dumpster, it is getting used as a dumpster.
trash
trash
This thing has been there for years. It has not been emptied in years. I have contacted the Forest Service. They would be delighted of the Green box disappeared. In edition to the heavy steel box needing to be removed. There are inflatable rafts left abandoned. They get washed over the outlet falls into the talus below. Help is needed removing these as well. This is a Wiki. So if you wish to attend please sign up below. Hulksmash, Obi Tony Kenobi, H. Hound, GeoHiker, Zekester, Drake Brimstone, Sir Homey, ohmygoshjosh, Backpacker Joe,like2thruhike, Quark

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:07 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 1:28 pm 
I should be able to make it. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am 
The shock of an E mail and a phone call i received this morning has not worn off yet. When i attempted to contact a float plane pilot i figured it was a long shot, and any response was unlikely. But i did get a response! That E mail and phone call was from the Washington Seaplane Pilots Association I cannot share the entire E mail since it contains Email addresses and phone numbers, and understandably they do not want to get flooded with Spam, and Solicitors because something was posted on a public site. But i will summarize with a few quotes.
Quote:
I am very familiar with: the trial to lake Isabel , the garbage there, the steel box, the 4 wheelers, and the various usage that takes place there. The WSPA is interested in assisting in the cleanup of Lake Isabel . You may or may not know this, but both the Forest Service and the new Wild Sky wilderness allows seaplane activities on the Lake . There is a beach on the far (NE) side of the lake that is used primarily by seaplanes. Our organization takes the issue of keeping the lake area cleaned up very seriously. In 2008 members of our group flew several large bags of garbage out of the lake. I have also personally packed garbage out left along the trial. There is much room for improvement as hikers have consistently left garbage at the outlet of the lake for many years. We only operate when the weather is clear and reasonably calm winds. Usually, the ice doesn’t melt until early May and this issue must be verified before we land. There are several details which must be worked out.
Because air planes cannot operate on the lake until the snow has cleared I have chosen to delay clean up day is NOT May 3rd, a new date will be detrimined later. The lake may not be fully melted out by then. This will also provide more time for me to hammer out the logistics with the WSPA. Clearly WSPA and NWhikers working together is far more efficient the both working on the same thing separately.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 am 
Thank you Tom up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 am 
I'll help. It may take us all day to get that thing out of there. I may have a use for that toolbox if no one wants it. This way it won't end up in a landfill. Let me know about date changes.

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm 
I would like to make it up there sometime. If im not at work I can help.

Gil

Gil
PostSat Apr 18, 2009 8:57 am 
I thought that I would be able to come that day, but now I've had to schedule myself to work! Sorry about that.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 am 
I'd be interested in helping depending on the date. I wouldn't have been able to make the original date due ot volenteering for maintainence of the Hummocks Trail at Mount St Helens that weekend.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm 
Hulk, I sure hope you're coming up with a different date. That May 2nd weekend is turning out to be scheduled for all kinds of competing events. The rockclimbers are having their Vantage social that weekend. The waterfall gang is headed for Rachor Falls (you ought to be on that one). A couple of people have said they've acquired other commitments. And I'm headed for Wenatchee for an annual date with the Apple Blossoms. And just as an observation, I'm not convinced it's all that good an idea to be in the Lake Isabel area the same weekend that the motor people are having their Reiter clean-up. Things could get a little crowded. irked.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 4:03 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Hulk, I sure hope you're coming up with a different date. That May 2nd weekend is turning out to be scheduled for all kinds of competing events. The rockclimbers are having their Vantage social that weekend. The waterfall gang is headed for Rachor Falls (you ought to be on that one).
What Rachor Falls trip is this? I haven't heard anything about it!!!!! I'm actually going to the Vantage camp over to hike on the Columbia River. I want to go to Rachor Falls, but I had no idea there was anything plan nor have I seen anything about it. Details please and move the date!!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 7:51 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi said
Quote:
I want to go to Rachor Falls, but I had no idea there was anything plan nor have I seen anything about it.
Prior to that, in the SMC Falls thread, Eric said
Quote:
What this falls really needs is a real waterfall photographer (Bryan, Aaron, David, Tony - you guys listening? cool.gif ).
To which TONY responded
Quote:
I'm listening! biggrin.gif
After which, Aaron said
Quote:
If everyone can wait until Saturday the 2nd I'm up for giving this area another try.
And Bryan said
Quote:
Sounds like a plan Aaron.
hmmm.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 pm 
Ugggghhhh! For some reason, it took me off the "Watch this thread for replies" and I didn't see the other replies on the SMC thread!!!! This sucks!!!!!!!! I had planned to bring some climbing gear to rappel to the bottom, or at least try to reach the base of Rachor Falls when I had a chance to go there. Plus I had already signed up for the Vantage trip. Ok, well if the other two people I'm supposed to go on the trip drop out, I'm in. Why couldn't it have been another weekend!!!. Oh well, stay tune, because tomorrow you guys may see pictures of a waterfall that show up on a map on a popular river that haven't been photographed (or at least there are no pictures to my knowledge).

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 am 
Clean up day will not coincide with Reiter clean up day. Note i have changed the title of the thread to Delayed. Once it has been determined that the lake has thawed enough to allow Float planes to operate. A new date will be scheduled.

seaplane guy

seaplane guy
PostSat May 02, 2009 9:53 pm 
Hello Everyone, I'm not a hiker, but I may be able to help. I got wind of the Isabel Clean up from one of our members at the Washington Seaplane Pilots Association that I think was contacted by Hulksmash. We'd be happy to help when the lake thaws and we get a good weather window. There are several aircraft that may be able to get that monster out in one piece. Seaplane people are very concerned about the stewardship of our backcountry and our organization exists in order to perserve our priviledges to land in such areas. Unfortunately, we are a very small misunderstood group and we get lumped in with the jet skis and off road predjudices when it comes time for new legislation. Our privilage to land at Lake Isabel has been a 9 year effort during the creation of the Wild Sky wilderness. We've been going there for as long as planes have had floats and it's common for those of us who go up to haul OPT(other people's trash) out. We've been doing it for years. Wait! I know someone will mention the airplane at the bottom..... Actually it was at the 200' level and it has been removed with no oil or fuel spills. Please reply to this or PM me in regard to your planned trips to the site. We not only have a monthly newsletter that I can post the event to request help, I can also post a message on short notice if we need to. Also, if any of you that have contacts at the DNR or other state or federal agencies, please let them know that we have volunteers that would also be very interested in other special projects. Bee Sea n'ya, Bruce Hinds, President Washington Seaplane Pilots Association Northwest Seabee Club ------- I'm new to flickr, so just thought I'd try it..... This was a seaplane clean up day..... we had 4 seaplanes in there....
isabel trash clean up
isabel trash clean up
Regarding our plane at the bottom.... not anymore..... we do take care of our own too....
aircraft removal
aircraft removal

Bruce Hinds, ex-President Washington Seaplane Pilots Association
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm 
Thanks for your post SG, and your efforts at cleanup on Isabel. I'm happy you guys were able to retain landing rights. I'll keep a watch and see when the clean up is going to happen. I didn't see anything about the Reiter cleanup yet?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles