Forum Index > Trail Talk > Peaks with dogs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostMon Oct 04, 2010 3:57 pm 
Hi, I just recently found this forum and I enjoy reading the posts (my name is Wouter and I am a hikeoholic). I live in Sammamish. I mostly hike by myself with my dog. I enjoy that and I don't have many people to hike with. Recently we've been trying to find trails that lead to peaks as opposed to lakes and such. We've done most along the I90 corridor. Last weekend we did Mt. Aix. That was a great hike. It is also about the extend of what my dog Zoey likes to do. So we are looking for additional peaks that can be hiked with a four-legged companion. If you know any good ones that are within a couple of hours drive from Seattle, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostTue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 pm 
Look for posts by Sadie's Driver, Bad Dog, Zachster, Chainsaw Willie, and yours truly, among others. My dogs have been as high as Maude but I no longer subject their paws to the punishment of talus. I like Z: flat-coated retriever? tdd

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm 
Yes, she's a flatty. Loves the outdoors and hiking. Her paws never give her trouble and I check them all the time. I have to, cause she has no concept of pain. When she was just a year old, snow would sometimes cause little splits. Now that she's older, that's no longer a problem.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 pm 
I have seen a lot of dogs on the Mt Pilchuck hike, it's only about 2.5 miles and not super rocky or steep, plus great views of the sound , the surrounding mountains, and the lookout is cool as well.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Type E

Type E
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 7:44 pm 
I have been climbing with my dog(s) for years feel free to browse these reports. There isn't one on my site where I didn't have a dog with me. You might be surprised what dogs can accomplish provided they have the fitness and stamina. Eric http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 10:50 pm 
Dogs of course vary in ability, as well as in how OK or not-so-good things like steep trails and rough terrain are for them. You might chat with your vet about your dog in that regard - e.g. is the breed succeptible to back or hip issues from repetitive stress such as lots of steep climbing (tough on hindquarters). That said, even a dog with diagnosed hip issues can often make it up the many peaks with graded trails. We have such a dog now, and he's been up Granite, Pilchuck (not to the lookout, though - can't do the last scramble but we head to the south end of the ridge with him instead and have more peace anyway), Skyline Divide, Rock, Silver (needed a few boosts and one full lift up at the end), Yellow Aster Butte (a tad steep for him at the very end but not for long), Iron, Earl, Alta, and others I'm spacing now. Bare is a good one too. With our now-gone dogs, we were able to go up things like Snoqualmie, Guye, Daniel, Tinkham (one "doggie outward bound" spot), Old Snowy, and again others I'm spacing right now.

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 pm 
I'm sorry to read about your beagle. My heart goes out to you.

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 pm 
joker wrote:
Guye
Dogs can do Guye's Peak?

JPH

JPH
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 pm 
Agree that it depends on the dog. I bring the pup on anything that doesn't involve lots of loose rocks, not because of her, but because she doesn't realize she is kicking all kinds of crap down on the people below her. Running with the dog in the city seems to help toughen up the pads on her paws too, which can be a plus for long hikes on rock. And don't forget your dog's backpack!

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm 
joker wrote:
You might chat with your vet about your dog in that regard
My vet suggested hiking as much as possible. She has a very bad case of separation anxiety, so tiring her out is good for her. No hip problems in this breed.
joker wrote:
Silver (needed a few boosts and one full lift up at the end)
I tried to do Silver Peak earlier this year, but I couldn't find the way up from the PCT as everything was in a thick mist. Fun loop though.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:12 pm 
Dogs can easily do Guye except for the South (true) summit by the north ridge route.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 pm 
JPH wrote:
And don't forget your dog's backpack!
I only make her wear it if there is no water available for her. She doesn't like it because it hinders her in rolling in yucky stuff she finds along the way.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 pm 
woutervw wrote:
I tried to do Silver Peak earlier this year, but I couldn't find the way up from the PCT as everything was in a thick mist. Fun loop though.
There is an abandoned trail that starts near a creek that drains a little mud pond next to the PCT, roughly beneath the Silver/Tinkham saddle. It's pretty obvious to follow once you find it. It is just a very short bit north of the where the PCT passes by said mud pond.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Oct 07, 2010 8:35 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have seen a lot of dogs on the Mt Pilchuck hike, it's only about 2.5 miles and not super rocky or steep, plus great views of the sound , the surrounding mountains, and the lookout is cool as well.
It's been a few years, but doesn't Pilchuck have ladders? When I was there in '88, people had to hoist their toddlers up on ropes.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostThu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 am 
Our Italian Greyhounds didn't have a problem with the boulders, but needed assistance on the ladders: smile.gif