Forum Index > Trip Reports > isolation traver... errr... tour de newhalem peaks - 7/9-16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 am 
what do you do when your summer’s 3 week trip is cancelled? plan another of course. it helps when the weather cooperates though... after solid days of prepping food, making caches, and stashing stuff throughout the cascades, hotpantz and i were ready to head off.
startin' off
startin' off
day 1 – pyramid lake TH to colonial glacier & lake we reached the pyramid lake TH around 10:30a and were soon on our way. another group of 4, from portland, was heading off to attempt snowfield peak. we chatted and departed and would reconnect a time or two along the way. this is our second time on the trail, the first being in february of 2010 during a winter attempt of snowfield. that time, the trail was frozen solid, creeks too. this time, it was soft and lush and resembled a typical north cascades forest scene.
pyramid lake creek
pyramid lake creek
reflective green coat
reflective green coat
bright among dark
bright among dark
inviting pool
inviting pool
we took our first deserved break at pyramid lake. i’m not sure why people bash this lake; i really like it and it’s situated in a deep pocket amongst cliffs. if this was our final destination, we’d have been taking running jumps from 20ft up into the cold, mountain waters.
marsh forming in pyramid lake
marsh forming in pyramid lake
feeling skunky
feeling skunky
contemplating a jump
contemplating a jump
lots of balancing opportunities
lots of balancing opportunities
welcome
welcome
we easily located the climber’s path to the right of the lake. it’s hard to say whether it’s better with snow and ice or not, but with the weight of our packs and the climbing gear and 9 days of food they carried, we definitely felt it’s difficulty. soon enough, views of the raging waterfalls of colonial creek captured our hearts. the power of water is perhaps my most beloved part of the mountains.
heading up the ridge
heading up the ridge
colonial
colonial
monster waterfall of colonial creek
monster waterfall of colonial creek
start of colonial creek
start of colonial creek
enjoying views
enjoying views
little snow in the colonial creek valley remains
little snow in the colonial creek valley remains
just above the waterline
just above the waterline
progress was slow, but still forward. we came to our stopping point of 2010 where we bailed because of the traverse beneath a cornice with winter powder below; not sure what i was thinking while planning that trip. this day, however, proved quite easy on the traverse. continuous solid snow easily brought us into the colonial glacier basin. we saw a good deal of ice worms even on the traverse, which is not a glacier. we would see them in many places along the trip in non-glaciated terrain.
the traverse to colonial creek basin
the traverse to colonial creek basin
no sweat
no sweat
immediately, we spied an obvious campsite on a spur of dry sand – about the only snowfree spot within view. we’d later realize this spur of sand actually was sand on ice. pretty cool. drinking water about 25ft away. this was the first trip for a pre-wedding gift – the black diamond mega light tent. because it’s not a freestanding shelter, and the sand was light and loose, i was quite worried about any kind of wind. fortunately, with enough rocks and a picket as a deadman, we got things to be stable enough. and, the wind cooperated this night.
colonial and neve
colonial and neve
starting lord of the rings - fellowship of the ring
starting lord of the rings - fellowship of the ring
our water source
our water source
ice island
ice island
goodnight sun
goodnight sun
and moon
and moon
because we anticipated 22 days of continuous hiking (weather permitting), we took it easy this first night. temps dropped quickly as the sun was obscured by the likes of pyramid, pinnacle, and paul bunyan’s stump.
camp
camp
day 2 – colonial glacier to N isolation peak ridge tarn 6640+ the morning dawned clear. we were already in our routine, despite this being only overnight trip 2 for 2011. by routine, of course, i mean sleeping in until the sun forces you out of the tent. with no wind, we felt confident leaving the tent. off we headed for pyramid peak, packs now only carrying clothes and food. snow was great and the steel crampons really enjoyed the walk. we traversed N beneath paul bunyan’s stump and pinnacle peak, reaching the pinnacle/pyramid saddle. it was difficult to say, at first, if we were near a huge cornice. fortunately, there was none. a few minutes later we topped out. strangely, no register here, but oh well. the views in all directions were supreme, especially for being a peak that can be viewed from a state highway. snowfield and the neve glacier looked incredibly stunning.
colonial glacier "lake" and outlet
colonial glacier "lake" and outlet
stay there little tent
stay there little tent
heading up to pyramid
heading up to pyramid
steepening
steepening
not much open yet
not much open yet
pinnacle and pyramid
pinnacle and pyramid
lots of snow to play in
lots of snow to play in
all smiles
all smiles
snowfield looking far away
snowfield looking far away
but now it looks close
but now it looks close
atop pyramid
atop pyramid
what, no register?
what, no register?
beckey talks of a class 3 route up the NE face of pyramid. we certainly didn’t see it. so, we went to the base of its south ridge instead. probably class 3, but man, that rock was loose. we danced around for 10 mins, kicking down crap left and right. not fun. deciding there were bigger better things beyond, we passed on pyramid and headed back down to camp where we packed up.
coming down from a weak pinnacle attempt
coming down from a weak pinnacle attempt
by this time, the portland group finally made it up to near our camp. we chatted and it sounds like 1 of the 4 had a rough time with some of the approach and was staying at camp. they took off ahead, but veering towards the saddle S of paul bunyan’s stump. times like this, you start questioning yourself and triple check the map to make sure you’re going the right way. we were, and they soon realized it after we had led the way to the neve saddle.
streaks
streaks
jack 'n tent
jack 'n tent
a little ice with your sand?
a little ice with your sand?
heading up to saddle
heading up to saddle
bigtime snow!
bigtime snow!
colonial and neve both looked ripe to climb, but we were already somewhat behind schedule, so we pushed on to snowfield. that neve glacier is amazing. snowfield’s summit looks like just a blip on top of acres of snow. a long walk on perfect snow with tiny crevasses allowed us to go quickly.
gaping
gaping
portland group
portland group
coming down from saddle
coming down from saddle
long and elegant
long and elegant
feeling small
feeling small
a look back at the saddle
a look back at the saddle
nearing snowfield
nearing snowfield
crevasse
crevasse
soon we were at the saddle and dropped packs. i brought our rope and some gear and we took one of the party members who wanted to summit, but couldn’t unless she was with someone. we walked up steep snow for a bit, though the dry ridge with a bootpath would have been way easier. i initially headed up too far right before seeing the notch to drop down to. easy enough. through the notch, the down the backside, walk around some snow, and a really easy scramble to the summit.
looking beyond to our next goal
looking beyond to our next goal
isolation peak
isolation peak
at the summit
at the summit
dropping in from notch to snowfield's final scramble
dropping in from notch to snowfield's final scramble
the notch from summit side
the notch from summit side
the notch from the approach side
the notch from the approach side
great views of what lay ahead. isolation looked isolated indeed. we decided to rappel down the scramble portion back to the notch. the 70m rope fell short of the full distance, but it dropped us off at an easy exit point. we said farewell to our new portland friend grabbed packs, and dropped in S of the snowfield saddle.
ridge leading to isolation
ridge leading to isolation
my beta said to make a descending traverse to pick up the S ridge of snowfield around EL7700’. we had dropped to low, so decided to go back up after it was clear we were on the sharp cleft W of the ridge. once on the ridge, it didn’t look good. lots of exposure and still heavy packs. my gut starting murmuring something and eventually we listened to it.
ridge the beta said to take
ridge the beta said to take
looking down said ridge
looking down said ridge
backbone ridge
backbone ridge
icecap peaks through isolation
icecap peaks through isolation
and more
and more
isolation through the devils
isolation through the devils
great relief
great relief
we backtracked to the large snow basin S of the horseman, which looks like quite a climb from the S. the snow proved highly boot glissadable, even with the heavy packs. i liked smile.gif. we wrapped around some exposed rocks, topped off on water, and traversed around EL6800’. with some steep spots, travel was slow, though on skis or a board, this would be easier as would many places on this traverse. soon enough, we reached the S ridge of snowfield around EL6600’ and walked down a gentle slope to a great ridge tarn and campsite (not established). the views and feeling here were truly alpine. i loved every second we were there. the roar of mcallister creek and the views of the N faces of the icecap peaks were breathtaking.
spying the tarn
spying the tarn
now down low with easy access to isolation's N ridge
now down low with easy access to isolation's N ridge
checkin' the map
checkin' the map
the devils and still frozen tarns
the devils and still frozen tarns
traversing to isolation's N ridge
traversing to isolation's N ridge
now on the ridge, looking back at the beta route
now on the ridge, looking back at the beta route
we set up camp again on dry ground and settled in for a quick dip in the tarn. not too many tarns with views like this.
ah, so many choices
ah, so many choices
let's go here please!
let's go here please!
small trees, big peaks
small trees, big peaks
who's got shorts?
who's got shorts?
then, as we waited for dinner to rehydrate, we watched a colorful sunset unfurl before us. night air was still and clear. it was perfect.
fading light 1
fading light 1
fading light 2
fading light 2
baker looking good
baker looking good
climb me!
climb me!
such a nice spot
such a nice spot
reflecting on nature
reflecting on nature
hooray!
hooray!
shiny new tent
shiny new tent
ready?
ready?
so small
so small
can't wait!
can't wait!
waiting for dinner to cook
waiting for dinner to cook
golden light
golden light
bye bye sun
bye bye sun
vertical beam
vertical beam
now an explosion
now an explosion
hazy hues
hazy hues
alpenglow
alpenglow
wow
wow
more wow
more wow
and more
and more
beaming
beaming
too
too
many
many
sunset
sunset
pics
pics
warm + food
warm + food
pano near camp
pano near camp
cascade river road peaks
cascade river road peaks
day 3 - N isolation peak ridge tarn 6640+ to pt 6885 saddle camp the morning offered welcoming skies. heck, i could see the olympics, or so i thought. i also, however, saw a thin marine layer forming near baker. i surmised this would simply add ambiance to an already spectacular scene. i was wrong.
good morning tarn
good morning tarn
morning!
morning!
an okay setting to wake to
an okay setting to wake to
hmm, what's that
hmm, what's that
it's over there too
it's over there too
from camp, we worked our way S easily down snowy slopes. lots of cornice debris here and still some looming cornices overhead. lots of rock debris above and E of isolation lake. we opted to cross the outlet side to avoid potential rockfall. if you’re a lakebagger, put this destination in your to-do list.
isolation lookin' mighty fine
isolation lookin' mighty fine
just follow the low snow
just follow the low snow
heading down
heading down
E side deproach options from snowfield
E side deproach options from snowfield
cornice chunk
cornice chunk
route becomes clear
route becomes clear
isolation tarn
isolation tarn
big snow balls
big snow balls
not as appealing as the tarn the night before
not as appealing as the tarn the night before
lakebagger's dream
lakebagger's dream
hmm
hmm
rounding the lake
rounding the lake
dive in and see what's under the snow!
dive in and see what's under the snow!
little bridge
little bridge
tree mushrooms
tree mushrooms
we opted to do a running belay up the slopes to isolation’s E ridge using 4 pickets. again, good snow conditions, so it was more a formality and extra safety precaution given the runout and and weight of the packs.
heading up isolation's ramp and looking down to tarn and back towards snowfield group
heading up isolation's ramp and looking down to tarn and back towards snowfield group
protecting a marginal runout
protecting a marginal runout
traversing up to isolation's shoulder
traversing up to isolation's shoulder
good spot to fill up
good spot to fill up
melting out
melting out
almost to ridge
almost to ridge
closer
closer
happy to be up this part
happy to be up this part
ice fall!
ice fall!
we crested the ridge around EL6400’, dropped packs, and walked up the CL2+ ridge to the summit. tremendous vantage point and bivy and tent potential on the summit, though no water of course (snow nearby). from the top, we saw our near future --- clouds. looks like the marine layer decided to be more than just that.
a bench off isolation
a bench off isolation
spying the route
spying the route
mcallister drainage
mcallister drainage
unhappy clouds, but man, what a sight
unhappy clouds, but man, what a sight
fun scrambling
fun scrambling
lake 5136
lake 5136
alpiney
alpiney
bird or rock, you decide
bird or rock, you decide
topped out on isolation
topped out on isolation
now, just have to get to that nice ridge below
now, just have to get to that nice ridge below
more map work
more map work
mcallister tarn (anyone want to visit this with me?)
mcallister tarn (anyone want to visit this with me?)
some high flying yoga
some high flying yoga
one cl3 step heading down
one cl3 step heading down
back to the packs
back to the packs
big terrain
big terrain
awesome drainage
awesome drainage
i loved this bench
i loved this bench
saddle 1 (S of lake 5136) and saddle 2 (N of the coccyx)
saddle 1 (S of lake 5136) and saddle 2 (N of the coccyx)
we thought we spied a good route to get to the ridge S of us. after grabbing our packs, ascending a bit to EL6500’, and crossing some chasms, we found ourselves on a steep downward traverse. i’m normally comfortable on stuff like this, but not this time. it was legit with a long and unhappy runout. each step counted and i made sure of it. in hindsight, we should have belayed this in some form, but we didn’t have our harnesses on and there wasn’t a happy spot to put them on after we were in the thick of it. eventually, we trended W to try and grab some semblance of a ridge. we could have continued down more via snow, but i was done with it by that point. through some thick trees and then to a slab. crap. time to rappel, albeit 30ft or so. after lowering packs and collecting ourselves, we proceeded down the ridge above the headwaters of newhalem creek, a creek of which we’d later get a great helping.
so close, but so far
so close, but so far
come here ridge
come here ridge
steeper than it looks
steeper than it looks
alright, time to rap
alright, time to rap
better views of the mcallister drainage
better views of the mcallister drainage
steep snow deproach to ridge
steep snow deproach to ridge
the ridge here was odd, almost like a creek could flow on it. runnels everywhere. and, a huge pile of recent bear scat.
yikes!
yikes!
ahh, easier walkin'
ahh, easier walkin'
phew
phew
man, was i beat. the mental strain of the last part sapped my energy. ready to camp was i. but, after a few bags of skittles, some starburst, and trail mix, my energy soon returned. hotpantz was as strong as ever (i believe she’s surpassed me now with her increased biking frequency combined with my decrease since losing my job a year ago). rather than camping on this very snow ridge, despite it being only EL5200’, we opted to press onto the newhalem peak saddle. kick steps heading up were easy and it was nice to have a 2nd wind. we decided we’d see what was in the basin on the other side, and if that didn’t work, head up to the next saddle.
take the thread of snow up the gully to the next saddle
take the thread of snow up the gully to the next saddle
backbone ridge from N
backbone ridge from N
the S side of the newhalem peak saddle was chock full of trees. odd given the steep slope and the nearby avy paths. i suspect this slope has released in the past as all the trees appeared uniform in size and couldn’t be more than 50-100 years old. we were glad they were there as it was another surprisingly steep descent. there was no water nearby upon the descent, but upon ascent of the next gully, which looked mighty intimidating from afar and close, there lay a beautiful waterfall on the right margin that transitioned perfectly into a stream for a quick refill.
entering cold and strong basin opposite stout lake
entering cold and strong basin opposite stout lake
again, my beta was off. i understood it to go up the N rib heading out of the gully (just E of our route). looked like 5th class terrain to me. maybe not. who knows? regardless, the snow-filled gully was the easy and obvious choice. what it would be without snow is another question, but i suspect snow hangs out in this very cold, dark, and impressive cirque for quite some time. it was about 1800ft of kicksteps and running belay when we topped out at the 6640+ saddle. i really enjoyed that climb, despite a few drops of rain. near the top, stay climber’s left to avoid unnecessary steepness.
follow the thin line of snow
follow the thin line of snow
up the gully to our final camp
up the gully to our final camp
we still had 30 minutes of daylight at this point and found, again, great dry camping. we’d need it as you’ll see in a bit. by this point, clouds were surrounding us. hopefully they’d break.
our view for most of the next 3+ days
our view for most of the next 3+ days
still hope, but not much
still hope, but not much
day 4 – yay, camping! socked in by clouds in the morning, we decided to make a call to hollywood to see about the weather forecast. i figured we’d have cell reception here as the line of sight to newhalem seemed about right. sure enough. unfortunately, this being tuesday, hollywood said all the models indicated friday would be the first break in the weather. alright, we’ll sit tight. we have weather days built in. this day wasn’t actually that bad. clouds and sun mixed together to create a greenhouse effect within the tent. we romped around the nearby ridge, trying to summit pt 6885 in crocs without touching snow. one snow-filled gully prevented that. back to the tent we go. we probably should have pushed onto backbone ridge, but were reluctant to give up such a nice camp in the event of a whiteout or heavy rain before we could find something else. we made good progress on the lord of the rings book, which we started at the colonial glacier camp. only 500pgs long, we’d finish it by the end of day 6.
looking out the next day
looking out the next day
ooh, look at the top of the tent
ooh, look at the top of the tent
only on page 76 at this point (would finish the 500+ pg book soon enough)
only on page 76 at this point (would finish the 500+ pg book soon enough)
good spot to collect water
good spot to collect water
that shouldn't be on the inside ::)
that shouldn't be on the inside smile.gif
reflections of the clown tent
reflections of the clown tent
sucker hole
sucker hole
awesome drainage off the devils
awesome drainage off the devils
day 5 – more camping it was kind of the same as the day before, but with more rain, less warmth, more wind, and less enjoyment. the ridge we were on likely amplified the moisture received, but it’s tough to say what was happening across the valley. every now and again, we’d venture out at a break in the weather to get more snow, stretch the legs, and the like. we also found abundant sleep.
many waterfalls
many waterfalls
and more
and more
and one more (not much to photograph)
and one more (not much to photograph)
our would-be route ahead and around to backbone ridge
our would-be route ahead and around to backbone ridge
oh, what happened to the sun?
oh, what happened to the sun?
looking down the gully we came up to get to the final saddle/camp
looking down the gully we came up to get to the final saddle/camp
day 6 – even worse the night was cold and windy and wet. the new tent, which had yet to be seam sealed before leaving for the trip, was starting to shows signs of that fact. we chatted with hollywood again and it looked like the weather forecast had deteriorated some more. now, sunday was the weather window. well, we had food ‘til then, but man, could we sit idly for 5+ days? or, would the weather forecast for the next week bring more moisture? it appeared it did and our trip was soon in jeopardy.
it's working!
it's working!
rain jacket = good foot bivy
rain jacket = good foot bivy
we needed an exit route. unfortunately, our 7.5minute TOPO! map only went so far to the W, ending at the EL3600’ contour W of stout lake, but our 100ft contour interval map (national geographic waterproof one of the north cascades) showed a trail and campground up newhalem creek. retracing our tracks would have been sketchy in bad weather, especially some of the gullies and slopes we would need to descend. recalling a conversation with bigsteve just before the trip, he mentioned he’d be up to stout lake. we asked hollywood to contact him, dayhike mike, tom, and BPJ --- people that know about lakes. the beta we got from that group is to follow the stout lake outlet. we chatted with the marblemount ranger station and he talked of a route traversing at EL5200’ from stout lake to the W facing slopes N of two creeks. both pieces of beta talked of steep forests, but doable. that was encouraging as it more or less meant there’s some way out without getting cliffed, though of course, the steepest contours were just off our maps. regardless, it was time to get out of here. our sleeping bags were starting to take in moisture and without a chance to dry them out, it could prove dangerous, especially as nighttime temps were in the low 30s and we occasionally received sleet, hail, and slush. day 7 – camp to newhalem woke up at 5:00a to pretty nice conditions (i.e. not rain). oddly, with our 90% chance of rain at 8:00a, we didn’t get a drop ‘til we reached the cars. we hurriedly packed and were moving quickly. we knew the ridge to pt 6885 had some gaps from recon on our first day at camp, so, we tried traversing underneath it. the lichen was slick, i mean slick. it was essentially ice-like after 4 days of soaking. combined with some thick trees, getting to just under pt 6885 took nearly an hour despite being only 200ft gain and about 1/3 of a mile from camp. arriving on the W ridge of the summit, we were relieved to see that we had avoided the steepest contours near the summit. they would have required a rappel which might have proved difficult or impossible to protect adequately. we could mostly keep to the ridge, though there were still some huge huge cornices lingering. the gap between the snow and the trees was about body-width. some spots invoked interesting reverse liebacks and mantles that resembled more a spider than a human. better that than tempting walking the cornices. walking S of the ridgeline was full of thick, wet trees that would have shredded clothes. not worth it if we needed an emergency camp this evening and would have been soaked from that and the ominous weather forecasted.
peering down into stout lake area
peering down into stout lake area
looking back at the ridge towards pt 6885
looking back at the ridge towards pt 6885
once we got to EL6300’, we could see we had the route to stout lake in the bank. at EL6000’, we dropped in. snow and trees capped the rib and took us right to the gap between the two lakes. what an interesting view while heading down. never before have i seen a lake that looked vertical, but because of our aspect and the steepness of newhalem peak beyond, it sure looked it. because of the forecast and steepness of the route, my camera sat idly in my bag. quite the lake though.
stout lake and basin
stout lake and basin
we refilled water at the outlet and followed the slopes down. it was okay at first, and then consistently steep. we had crampons on for the steep stuff, even though the forest floor was as soft as any i’ve felt. they were almost necessary for this as it was the steepest forest i’ve been in.
stout lake area
stout lake area
as we descended, we came to a few tributary creeks that connect to the outlet of stout lake. we pushed right, not wanting to get sucked into the slopes of the outlet. at this point, i thought of my many adventures on terrain like this before. what to watch out for; what to think of; what to expect ahead. i almost didn’t even need a map, which was good since we didn’t have one that covered the spots we needed.
cramponing and picking my way up and out of the creek
cramponing and picking my way up and out of the creek
steep creek crossing
steep creek crossing
around EL3800’, i pushed us rightward, sensing steep stuff ahead. after a slick log crossing on one of the creeks, and a little more steep, we were in easy terrain. off came the crampons and out came the camera.
finally, in the forest and not so steep
finally, in the forest and not so steep
very green
very green
one goes up, one lies on hillside
one goes up, one lies on hillside
arced
arced
we mistakenly thought we were further N than we were. after traversing N for awhile, we descended to newhalem creek. no trail. no camp. we checked the elevation of the river and found we were ~200ft low, at river level, to find the campsite. we traversed back up the slopes, trying to avoid devils club as best possible. at times, it’s just not possible.
oh, this looks fun
oh, this looks fun
sometimes, you just gotta do it
sometimes, you just gotta do it
eventually, we had an “oh crap” moment. as in bear crap. the animal tracks and path we’d picked up were indeed that of bears. evidence: 4 piles of fresh scat, arranged in a square pattern. i start thinking: mom and 3 cubs. eek. we followed the animal tracks for another 30 mins. “oh crap” again. 4 more piles. also fresh, as in steaming. man, travel on this path was nice, but it could prove bad. we decided to head down to see if we’d cross the trail en route to the creek. nope. but, it was nice to sit and enjoy the splendor of the water and warmth.
2nd time to cross these four
2nd time to cross these four
newhalem creek
newhalem creek
sun shining?!?
sun shining?!?
crossing patterns
crossing patterns
ripples
ripples
a little of everything
a little of everything
great color
great color
head dunking
head dunking
we found it odd that this search to find the trail was the hardest part of the trip so far. back up we went. more club. more alder. more brush. then --- trail! well, road/trail. despite being grossly overgrown, travel was way way easier.
i love bushwacking
i love bushwacking
where'd she go?
where'd she go?
ah ha
ah ha
the 3.4 miles on the NG map felt long, way longer than 3.4 miles should. fortunately, with all the overgrowth came salmonberry, which offered a nice relief of freshness. near the start of the trail, the tread is quite nice and the forest enjoyable, but for the most part, it’s a neglected road walk. we exited at a stream gauging station which had a nice log bridge to its structure (closed to the nonauthorized). i put on crocs; hotpantz had been wearing hers for awhile to alleviate hip pain caused by road walks. we freshened up in the creek, ate some food, and were ready to roll.
muscles!
muscles!
coming down from big devil
coming down from big devil
not many bridges like this (great camp spot!)
not many bridges like this (great camp spot!)
chaos
chaos
creek ford
creek ford
yay crocs
yay crocs
salmonberry stands
salmonberry stands
and suddenly good tread?
and suddenly good tread?
slick crossing
slick crossing
at gauging station
at gauging station
down the gravelly lane we went; not sure how many miles it was – maybe 3. we passed the north cascades visitor’s center. some out-of-state cars passed us, but none liked the hitchhiker’s thumb of some hikers. out to highway 20, hotpantz sat with some of the gear and i walked up the road to the newhalem general store and public restrooms. no one was biting on the hitchhike for some 20-30 minutes. eventually, a college student from spokane was kind enough to give me a ride. a few miles later and at the car, it was time for thanks and a departure.
lonely road walk out
lonely road walk out
and so it ended. we stopped at good food in marblemount for a double whammy and some shakes. then drove up to the eldorado TH to get my car and head home. rain splattered the windshield, helping to validate our decision to hightail it out of there, albeit somewhat disappointed in not being able to complete the prenupt tour. a quick check of the weather forecast upon arriving back in balmy seattle told us: leave WA! so we repacked and headed for ID, plans unknown. TR pending... special thanks to the following: hollywood - phone contact person, weather updater, and mentor DHM, BPJ, bigsteve - last minute beta on stout lake quark, belowfellow, rainie too! - bear canisters (don't worry, they're sitting somewhere in the cascades right now, unused) slide alder slayer - tyvek (worked great as a ground cloth for the new tent t mary - the dehydrator which saved my butt in getting everything ready in time, especially jerky and many others...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 5:49 am 
Great trip and way to pull out when need be. Definately some challenging weather this July. Sounds like a cool trip you had planned. 22 days: on to the Ptarmigan and then the Glacier peak wilderness????

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am 
great tr, mike! very cool that you guys get to do trips like this together.

iron

iron
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm 
@CT: plan was: isolation traverse to inspiration to ptarmigan to buckindy with a bike ride back. @randy: yes, i'm a lucky guy. i just checked --- isolation was my 200th 400P peak. not too bad for ~3 years worth.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm 
Nice report, too bad about the weather towards the end, but that's the N Cascades for you. I just returned from a small foray into the area myself, details to come.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm 
Man you guys aren't human! Great for us mere mortals, to get to travel into such spectacular terrain. slobber.gif up.gif What's great about your trips (as well as Matt's) is taking the time to share other, subtler parts of nature, such as the mossy trees and cleansing cascades. Elevates the quality of the report tremendously.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 5:29 pm 
What are you talking about Gali. You're looking at Superman and Wonderwoman! Coming to a theater near you. First off I'm humbled by your thanks. Thank you for some wonderful reading. Secondly, krazie klimbers and their wonderful adventures. Really great work you two. Mike, was my beta correct about that gauging station up at the end of that road on Newhalem creek? How would it be getting into Stout lake that way? Anything left of a/the trail at all? Topo shows a logging road coming within a half mile of Stout lakes outlet. Thanks and again, great work. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 8:39 pm 
You guys got a whole lot done in just a few days of actual hiking! Too bad about the weather but you had a few good days with some great pics. Your pic of the McAllister ice fall has me wanting to get a much closer look at it. Hopefully, you two will be able to do some more of those sections of your planned route if not the whole thing in the future. Thanks for the TR

Eric Eames
Hutch

Hutch
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 8:44 pm 
Love that bird pic. Great report.

Roald

Roald
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 10:56 pm 
Love the plan, and how you adjusted. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on such an adventure - even if it wasn't exactly the one you planned.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 8:13 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Mike, was my beta correct about that gauging station up at the end of that road on Newhalem creek? How would it be getting into Stout lake that way? Anything left of a/the trail at all? Topo shows a logging road coming within a half mile of Stout lakes outlet.
not sure i received/heard the beta on the gauging station approach route to the lake. there was tread for sure following the lower road to the supposed campsite. easy enough to follow, but brushy for most of it. as for the upper road - we never saw it. might have been too far S to come across it. there was definitely no 10ft wide level portion of terrain as we came down to newhalem creek. and, as you know, following a road long-since used is often far more work than just going into the forest. i believe the best approach to stout lake is what the ranger said as i listed earlier in the TR. from what we saw, all the terrain in there is steep, but nothing truly cliffs out (assuming you're not picking the steepest of steep routes). so, pick whatever route you want and just be flexible with where you go. we never came across a fisherman's trail along the outlet. i might have pushed us too far N to start with b/c i didn't want to be sucked into that outlet since that did look steep and could have cliffed.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 8:57 am 
you folks covered some ground! nice TR with great pics.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Guiran

Guiran
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 am 
Nice work! Better luck with the weather in ID.

Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am 
Making memories! makeout.gif You will have to share years to come!

Arete

Arete
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 am 
Simply awesome! What pictures, terrain and a true sense of adventure. You guys are an inspiration! up.gif up.gif up.gif