Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Beware Not all Meetup Groups are Created Equal (Meetup.com)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
weflybye

weflybye
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 pm 
I have been hiking with a couple meetup groups since August last year. Recently I have run into an issue on the Seattle BackPackers. I know the old adage that fool and and his money are soon parted =) My Wife and I put a "refundable" deposit down on a 7 day hike on the PCT from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. The Hike was cancelled due to low snow levels covering the trail this year. Needless to say I expected a full refund of our deposits. We haven't seen the deposit money even after several "communications". Come to find out, the holder of our deposits has an addiction to other peoples money and seems to have developed quite a fondness of our deposit. It's funny that it's the "Admin and Co-founder of Seattle Backpackers." Full Story Here: (Since the Original posting Cameron Ownbey has deleted the thread on SeattleBackpackers.com) The other link is still active and contains the same information http://www.meetup.com/seattlebackpackers/messages/boards/thread/16108482#55156292 http://www.meetup.com/hiking-235/messages/boards/thread/16108732#55156812 Any thoughts about Deposits to ensure a spot on a Sponsored Hike. ****-UPDATE-***** Our Deposits have been refunded. Thanks Woody and Tanna

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm 
Cameron is a swindler, pure and simple. He used to be a dangerous swindler, but he's gotten a little more savvy re: backpacking in recent years. Unfortunately, he's learned entirely too much through the school of hard knocks. (Ask "Ol' Three Toes Chris" if he got a refund on the two toes he lost up at Melakwa.) These days, Cameron's just looking for ways to monetize the Seattle Backpackers Meetup group. I'm no longer a member of that group because of the large volume of crap e-mail they spew out, and all the marketing and advertising, and self-promotion that he does, even above and beyond the overwhelming noise of Meetup traffic. I think asking for a deposit for a trip is bullsh##. I think cancelling a trip and refusing to refund your money is outright fraud. Maybe he didn't learn enough from his previous run-in with the SEC and the smackdown they gave him for his fraudulent / criminal activities.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm 
get a lawyer friend to write a stern letter on company letterhead. and mean it. this kind of behavior needs to be stopped, on principle. and I hope you get your full deposit back. what a terrible situation.

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 9:59 pm 
Oh, for what it's worth, "Brian" could very well be Cameron. Cameron's made fake accounts on Meetup in the past and had them "sign-up" for his beginning backpacking "seminars" and make comments in an effort to stir up interest and buzz among others in the group. On the internet, it really is true -- no one knows if you're a dog.

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:06 pm 
By the way, here's the thread where we've discussed and unmasked Cameron Ownbey and his long history of unsavory actions. I wouldn't wait. I'd contact Meetup.com and PayPal directly. Meetup because they need to know what he's doing and shut him down and PayPal to get your refund if possible through those channels. I'd also consider contacting the police and asking whether there's anything you can file with them re: his actions. Hopefully someone here will be able to chime in and indicate what might need to be done in order to file a suit against Cameron Ownbey in Small Claims Court to recover your funds.

weflybye

weflybye
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm 
A little digging shows indictments in Utah, Illinois, and Washington State !!! Amazing !!! I don't see why Meetup.com would allow a known criminal to own a meetup group. I wonder if the Sponsors of Seattle Backpackers know who they are promoting ?

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 pm 
Great point! Perhaps it's time to contact them. I'm guessing the PR departments at Columbia and wherever else might be interested in knowing more about the monster they're funneling money to. There are several great Meetup groups out there. Seattle Outdoor Adventures is great. Pacific Northwest Backpackers is great. PEAKS has a lot of really good knowledgeable people (albeit a little slow, sometimes, sorry Val hockeygrin.gif ). But Seattle Backpackers isn't one of them. I have no idea why people stick around and deal with Cameron's madness. doh.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 pm 
Seems like you have two choices: pursue it out of principle, or consider it an $80 lesson. Let's face it, getting the $80 will be more than $80 worth of effort, so it is the principle that is at stake. Since this is absolutely a criminal fraud you describe, I would likely pursue it. You should take this dispute to paypal, and the police, and perhaps the credit card you used to pay, if that's how you paid. Fraud perpetrators count on you being a nice person and not wanting to go all out to nail them. That's why he needs to be nailed. His emails show he is a con artist, with ready-made excuses lined up, and the "blame it on you" ploy. He has admitted his guilt many times in the emails, promising to pay. Maybe small claims court is the answer. Thanks for spreading the word, you might save others the same aggravation.

weflybye

weflybye
PostThu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 pm 
Unbelievable, Cameron tried to send me a virus today in an email. However forgot to mask his name. shakehead.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 9:29 am 
Holy Price Gouging! $600 per person, seriously???

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am 
I noticed two things about that link: one, it said "That discussion has been deleted". Two, there was thread after thread looking for partners for hikes, and no responses to any of them. Weird. Also, the vast majority of threads had almost no views. Cameron announces the newsletter, and only one person has viewed his thread. Sounds like this group is dying out on its own.

weflybye

weflybye
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 am 
The deposit to hold a spot on the hike was $40.00 a person not $600 tongue.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 am 
Slugman wrote:
I noticed two things about that link: one, it said "That discussion has been deleted".
Yeah, Cameron actively deletes anything negative posted about the group.
Slugman wrote:
Two, there was thread after thread looking for partners for hikes, and no responses to any of them.
Whenever I'd go to Meetup socials, I always tell people about NWHikers.net, but it seems like rarely, if ever do people make it over here if they don't know about us already. Most of the people indicate they just lurk, or read trip reports for an idea of conditions. A little strange that they're looking to be social but don't want to, you know, socialize with other hikers here. A good portion of the folks on Meetup are either 1) new to the area and have no idea where to go, 2) don't have a car of their own and are looking to rideshare with others to a trailhead, or 3) don't have any experience and are looking for a guided tour experience ("babysitting" really). There are good, competent people there, but they're definitely in the minority and you have to screen respondents. Most of these are just looking for someone else to work out the logistics for a trip and propose something interesting. That's fine by me, because I like planning trips and am just looking for fun folks to share them with. For me, the hardest thing about Meetup is that it's hard hiking with people who you don't know. Everyone hikes at a different rate, has different tolerances for exposure, and have wildly different temperaments. I'm always happy when I find faster folk that are in good shape, but all too often there'll be one or two that drag the group down to a snail's pace (and/or take a little too much "babysitting"). When you're running around, tending to everyone's needs because certain folks aren't doing as well as the rest of the group it gets exhausting -- both physically and emotionally draining.
Slugman wrote:
Sounds like this group is dying out on its own.
He's got a touch over 2000 people in the group. As long as he can post a trip and find folks to fill it, I don't think it's dying out too readily. Thing is that it's easy to sign up for a group and just remain passive and inactive, never attending anything, but seeing where people are heading and what they're doing.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am 
Wow, why did he delete the post my link was to? A simple admission of a honest mistake or typo should have covered it. Either this Cameron guy has a lot to hide or he's hyper sensitive. He's sorta billed himself as some sort of guru on that site and I wonder what sort of qualifications if any he has? I would hope he has Wilderness First Aid, CPR Instructor, and some sort of NOLS Instructor equivalence, especially if he's taking money from noobs.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostFri Sep 23, 2011 3:22 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
A good portion of the folks on Meetup are either 1) new to the area and have no idea where to go, 2) don't have a car of their own and are looking to rideshare with others to a trailhead, or 3) don't have any experience and are looking for a guided tour experience ("babysitting" really).
All of these are issues with all hikes that are led...
Quote:
For me, the hardest thing about Meetup is that it's hard hiking with people who you don't know. Everyone hikes at a different rate, has different tolerances for exposure, and have wildly different temperaments. I'm always happy when I find faster folk that are in good shape, but all too often there'll be one or two that drag the group down to a snail's pace (and/or take a little too much "babysitting").
Which is why I am leading fewer and fewer hikes... (not meetup) This Camer-noon guy sounds like he should be indicted ...or at least taken to small claims court?

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~