Forum Index > Gear Talk > Solar Recharger for iPhone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uproar

uproar
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 pm 
Greetings, I recently acquired my first iPhone--had nothing but Blackberries for years--and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a solar recharger/backup power source suitable for backpacking. Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Lots of hikers had good luck with the Goal Zero systems on the PCT this year in southern California. These were about the best solar panels anyone had. But they didn't work so well in Oregon and Washington with more tree cover and clouds. I carried an external battery with USB output that I used to charge my phone and others had something similar. You can charge it at home and it carries about two full charges for a smartphone, or many more charges if you buy a higher capacity version. Smaller, cheaper, and about the same weight as a solar charger and just plain simpler. Very happy with mine. New Trent 6000ma external battery on Amazon

uproar

uproar
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm 
Thanks! Any recommendation on which Goal Zero system might be best?

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Solar charging is good in direct sun, Batteries or Power packs are more reliable but add weight depending on amount needed. What about kinetic energy generator? So I googled it. nPower PEG personal energy generator captures and stores the kinetic energy

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 10:30 pm 
Really interesting DNTG. agree.gif $200 seems a bit high, but I'm sure it took some $ to design and build.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 pm 
DogNTallGrass wrote:
nPower PEG personal energy generator captures and stores the kinetic energy
What's the battery capacity in my nPowerŽ PEG? The PEG has a 2000 mA lithium polymer battery on board, capable of charging an iPhone 3 to 100%, and an iPhone 4 to about 75%. Interesting... But... Looks like it needs a little more capacity. Wonder how much it would charge an iPhone 4S or 5?

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 pm 
I've been looking at the Goal Zero Guide 10 Adventure Kit, 7 watt, 1lb total not to bad. The unit can be charging whenever you have good sun exposure. So how well does that work in the cascades? 1lb of AA eneloop comes out to about 17. 17 batteries could last me 2 weeks easy, with my toys. So for all my backing needs batteries are the way to go. A small 2 AA usb charger can be used to charge your phone from a set of AA batteries. I have not done this yet, so I don't know the ratio of batteries needed to charge iPhone. Now if I were through hiking or knew Id be away from power and services for 2 weeks or more I'd be looking at a power generator of some sort. After reading and watching reviews of the PEG, it looks like a good option to the Goal Zero Guide 10 Adventure Kit. Both are about 1lb. My estimate on fulling charging the PEG from walking is about 14-18 miles. Thats based on reviews all wearing the PEG in pocket or on pack. For through hikers this may work great, 2000mA a day with 5V DC, 500mA output. What if trekking poles had kinetic energy generators attached to them, hmm. wink.gif And rather than a built in batterie, just a spot to insert a rechargable AA or AAA. The solar kit will win if it kept in direct sunlight gathering 3.5 watts or 7 watts depending on panel used. The PEG unit is 2.5 watts regardless of weather, but its got to be kept in motion to charge.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
btspman

btspman
PostMon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 am 
I second the Goal Zero chargers. Kept three iphones and a gopro charged on a week long trip this summer. Thats with using GPS apps which drain iphones so quickly.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Dec 25, 2012 4:31 pm 
I third the goal zero. I have the goal zero 7, just the panel, no power pack. I think I paid $70 when they were at costco. It charges my droid razr from empty in an hour or two with good sun. it charges my 4 gen ipod touch so it "should" charge an iphone. (apple stuff is weird sometimes). It has little loops on it so it's easy to attach to a backpack and charge while walking. I wouldn't get the battery pack unless you plan on using/needing the phone a lot, or you want the AA batts for a GPS or camera?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 am 
I've been interested in this ultralight solar charger for a while, can be modified to get it down to 3.6 oz but apparently only charges 3G iphones, not 4G Ultralight Portable Solar Charger

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
i have one for sale...Solio

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
I hear a lot of iPhone this, Droid that. Anyone figured out how to hook these Goal Zero panels to charge a proprietary camera battery?

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 am 
The goal zero is just a USB out. If your camera battery charges when you attach it to your computer via USB, then it should charge with the goal zero. My GPS runs on AA's but has a USB input. It doesn't charge the batteries (I don't think), but I can run the GPS off the solar panel with the batteries removed.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 pm 
Jackchinook, what type of camera are you trying to charge? Better yet, how do you normally recharge it at home? Starting there we can most likely find a way to keep it charged in the woods.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
Benjamin, I'm currently transitioning my camera system from a Canon DSLR...but where I am and where I'm going both include external battery chargers that run off AC (but can usually run off a DC car charger too) . Batteries are Lithium ion 7.4v and 1300-1400 mAh. thanks for any idea! Edit: whoops...sorry for the needless thread split. I had been reading the other and continued on the same chain of thought.