Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beauty Pk., Part 2: 2nd Time's a Charm, 07.27.13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:15 pm 
Our last trip to the area was cut short due to lack of water, so this time we were better prepared. I was joined by 3 other SSMFs, including nwhikers' very own Bandanabraids. smile.gif We never met each other while we both still lived in WA, but alas now that we each reside in the San Diego area we managed to hook up. dizzy.gif doh.gif wink.gif MM & I were to meet Bandanabraids & another SSMF member in Temecula, but the other guy wound up getting lost so decided to hike w/us another time. The 3 of us caravaned to the TH, where we then met up w/the last SSMF member, Ted, who impressed us by managing to get a Prius all the way out there on a fairly rough dirt rd. up.gif up.gif
3 SSMFs @ the TH  for Beauty Pk.
3 SSMFs @ the TH for Beauty Pk.
This time the 1st part of the hike went much faster, since we knew exactly where to begin. embarassedlaugh.gif Not long into the hike, we came across another horned lizard. wub.gif
Horned lizard
Horned lizard
We continued on up the rd., then followed the marked trail up & over a hill, down a little wash, then crossed the big wash w/the dry waterfall on the other side. Temps were rising but thankfully it wasn't as warm as our Part 1 hike. up.gif
Ted & MM in one of the washes
Ted & MM in one of the washes
Headin' up this dry waterfall
Headin' up this dry waterfall
Ted & Bandanabraids headin' up one of the brushier areas of the trail
Ted & Bandanabraids headin' up one of the brushier areas of the trail
Bandanabraids & Ted coming up the wash
Bandanabraids & Ted coming up the wash
Upon reaching the saddle, Beauty Pk. came into view. cool.gif
Beauty Pk. as seen from the saddle
Beauty Pk. as seen from the saddle
@ the base of the saddle by the earthen dam we took a water/piss break while Ted opted to keep moving on toward the pk. After a few minutes I was ready to continue, & MM & Bandanabraids followed shortly thereafter. At this point the route follows a rd. a short distance uphill, then a lg. duck marks the turnoff point for following the ridge up & over a couple of false summits.
Beauty Pk. on the left
Beauty Pk. on the left
Pods on the yucca
Pods on the yucca
One of the steeper sections
One of the steeper sections
Iron Spring Mtn.
Iron Spring Mtn.
MM & bandanabraids pause for a moment
MM & bandanabraids pause for a moment
The summit is still a little ways away
The summit is still a little ways away
I kept MM & Bandanabraids in sight behind, but it took awhile to see Ted. When the true summit came in view again I looked for him on top, but didn't see anyone. A little bit later I spotted him on the last falsie before the real deal & waved when he turned around. wave.gif
Ted going up the final push to the summit
2 labels
Ted going up the final push to the summit
Smaller hills behind me obscured wherever MM & Bandanabraids were. I made my way up & over the last falsie, then started up the last steep push to the summit where I caught up w/Ted. Soon MM was in sight, quickening his pace as he dropped down off of the last falsie. I shouted out asking where Bandanabraids was, & he said she opted to turn back & wait for us @ the earthen dam where we took our earlier break. We slowly made our way up to the top, w/the crux of the climb being a short but easy mini-gully scramble.
One last scrambly bit
One last scrambly bit
MM & Ted coming up the last scrambly bit
MM & Ted coming up the last scrambly bit
@ long last we were on top, & w/water to spare! hockeygrin.gif up.gif
Survey marker
Survey marker
Summit register
Summit register
Register started in 1986
Register started in 1986
This guy's in almost all the summit registers
This guy's in almost all the summit registers
View SE to Hot Springs Mtn.
View SE to Hot Springs Mtn.
Iron Spring Mtn.
Iron Spring Mtn.
Palomar Mtn.
Palomar Mtn.
Distant Cuyamaca Pk.
Distant Cuyamaca Pk.
Cahuilla Mtn.
Cahuilla Mtn.
Whoops, MM not ready yet...
Whoops, MM not ready yet...
3 SSMFs on top of Beauty Pk.!
3 SSMFs on top of Beauty Pk.!
San Jacinto Pk. in the distance
San Jacinto Pk. in the distance
View westish
View westish
We took a snack break, enjoying the rest & views for a bit. Then Ted started down as MM & I finished up. We would catch up to him on the rd. section just before the earthen dam. Once @ the dam, I saw a note left by Bandanabraids that she was heading back to the trailhead since she was running low on water. The 3 of us took another quick break here, then steadily made our way up down, up down etc. back to the trailhead, where we saw another note from Bandanabraids letting us know of her safe arrival. smile.gif up.gif Fun, challenging hike! It's a hard 6 mi. RT w/all the ups & downs & sun exposure, etc. We got a good workout! Great views, & once again no other peeps on the trail. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
That was a great hike even if I didn't get to the peak biggrin.gif Great TR!

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message