Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cross-time Photos From Northwest Lookouts Reveal Big Changes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 pm 
Northwest Public Radio link: Cross-time Photos From Northwest Lookouts Reveal Big Changes
Quote:
During the 1930s, Forest Service crews visited more than 800 lookout stations to capture the original sweeping black-and-white panoramics. For the repeat photography about eighty years later, Hessburg hired professional photographer John Marshall.
Sample photo - Mission Peak Comparison 1934 vs 2010

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 9:09 pm 
thank you, puzzlr. funny... I was just talking about doing those in a different thread. we were using 120 black-and-white film, though... with a "Hulcherama". looks like he's got a completely different set up there. they assigned me five lookouts. there were several volunteer photographers recruited for the project. the difference in the images (past and present) was, as I mentioned in the other thread, like night and day. I recall a a couple that resembled moonscapes - totally devoid of any vegetation in the early photos after the big Cispus fires early in the 20th century.
Tom Banse, writing for Northwest Public Radio wrote:
"They've definitely gotten a lot denser,” Marshall said. “You see the meadows shrinking up, the spaces between groves of trees filling in. It's more trees, less open area."
The reason the elk are a nuisance in Packwood, and the berry fields up in the hills are getting smaller and smaller each year.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 9:20 pm 
funny comment below the article about clear skies and pollution..... when I walked up Diamond Peak there was a huge fire burning in Oregon and the sky had kind of an orange hue.... some of us are just lucky, huh? dizzy.gif (that shot was taken looking east-southeast toward the rising moon)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 pm 
Historic Osborne Panorama Photos - Gifford Pinchot National Forest / Columbia National Forest

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 pm 
Thanks for the links. I'd heard this story on NPR yesterday, but had not gone off looking for any online info. Cool to see a couple of the example comparisons. Hopefully there will be a gallery show, book, or best yet a full online compilation shared when he's done. I love this sort of project.