Forum Index > Trip Reports > I'm Lacking Iron 5-2-2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm 
As the crow flies Straight up the prominent ridge Started near the Beverly Creek Campground ( BTW, I checked out the road beyond. Large snow fields start @ 1 mile past ) I've heard some debate on whether this route is a game trail or a hunters boot path. Regardless, it's established. I'll say it's a little bit of both, but, the cougars declare it a buffet path. Wow! Large cougar mound marked with lots of scat. Lots & lots of other cougar sign. Most I've seen anywhere in any of my adventuring Male cougar mound
Deer or Elk hair
Bone & hair cougar poo
Antler
Fresh cougar scat. The scat was fresh. I skewered the soft poo with a stick. Don't ask me why, but I brought it to my nose. Holy sh##! Anybody know how to spell that sound someone makes when they gag out loud? GRAAACK!!! Poo in bottom of photo and fresh scrape at top of photo
Cougar food
Lots of turkey driving through the valley
Lots of grouse in the mountains
How come they always wait until you nearly step on them when they decide to make their presence known. Cardiac Arrest! Iron Peak was my intended goal for the day and I wasn't sure what to expect. How much snow? How warm was it going to get? South facing slopes? Cornices? Sun baked sloppy mush? Snow still very deep in the upper elevations Was near 70 degrees on my way back down South facing slopes turning to heavy mush Iron Peak cornices
Although I didn't reach my intended destination, the views were fantastic. Made it to point 6,040' Didn't encounter anybody else
nfz?
A omen? A warning? A message from God? Shoulder shrug. I dunno, but I lived to write this trip report Finally. The Teanaways need more alpine lakes. Can somebody do something about that please?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri May 04, 2018 10:20 am 
Good to see some of those higher ridges melting out. You got some vitamin D with your Iron. Can't help you with the lakes. It might be a good thing in the long run as it could be like Tuck and Robin mob scene over there.

neek

neek
PostFri May 04, 2018 10:25 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
A message from God?
No, From Zeus

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 04, 2018 11:10 am 
Good current conditions beta. up.gif
Bootpathguy wrote:
Finally. The Teanaways need more alpine lakes.
No! it needs to be further away from the west side. Sometimes you can get down right lonely in stunning beauty of the Chelan Sawtooths or Pasayten.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri May 04, 2018 2:42 pm 
That is a great ridge hike. We've seen Teanaway pack wolf tracks and scat there.
Bootpathguy wrote:
I've heard some debate on weather [sic] this route is a game trail or a hunters boot path. Regardless, it's established.
I can't provide any information re the weather you encountered, but re whether it's a game trail or hunter's trail: I think it's the latter or pounded in by a fire crew 10-15 years ago. (There's additional evidence of a fire and fire crew activity on the ridge, and I talked to a USFS worker who remembered the fire. There's an old abandoned deer hunter camp at the bottom of the basin est. 1km SE of Iron summit at est. 5,550'. It was wiped out a few years ago by a microburst which downed a bunch of big old Subalpine Firs and Whitebark Pines. Very cool place before the microburst hit it. There is a year-round spring a bit W of the camp. Note: I have previously kept the location of the deer camp a sekrit, but there's no need to continue to do so after the microburst wiped it out.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri May 04, 2018 5:09 pm 
Jeff wrote:
How deep was the snow where you turned around on the ridge? Is there a good place to pull off and park?
Sent a PM cuz I kinda rambled

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
That is a great ridge hike. We've seen Teanaway pack wolf tracks and scat there.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When I'm hiking solo my senses really kick in. Looking, smelling, listening. I stopped several times and just stood there and listened because I thought I kept hearing puppies. Wishful listening? Maybe. But the playful sound of whimpering puppies stopped me several times. Although, I'm not convinced wolf pups are what I was hearing

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri May 04, 2018 8:46 pm 
Bootpathguy, you may have been lacking iron, but some of the folks I hike with would be packing iron with all that kitty presence. A good blast of a .45 into the sky would stop their lip-smacking purring, if one was interested in a hiker as snack, eek.gif and turn their attention back to deer and turkeys.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 07, 2018 5:34 am 
wink.gif Male cougar mound