Forum Index > Trip Reports > Easily Pleased I Suppose 7-7-2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:52 pm 
Woke up Saturday morning to very gray skies here in Kirkland. Wife and I having our morning joe and I said, " let's get outta here" She agreed. One of the things that is so great about Washington State, is that you can drive 90 minutes east and find sunshine and temperatures that are 30, or more, degrees warmer than the west side. NINETY MINUTES! Just think about that. Some people pay hundreds of dollars, wait in lines, commute to and from airports, jump on airplanes to get to a warmer and dryer climate. I drive 90 minutes and hike 2 hrs and probably just as happy, or happier, than someone who just spent hundreds of dollars and commuted & traveled for 8, 10, 12 hours. I love this state! Our daughters were camping on the CleElum river this weekend. We decided to head over there without much of a agenda. We grabbed hiking gear. Lawn chairs. Food & beer. We would decide what we wanted to do when we got to SalmonLaSac. Hang out with our daughters and their friends or go hiking. ( We did both ) My wife has never hiked Paddy-Go-Easy and I mentioned to her that I thought she'd enjoy it because there are so many similarities to Lake Ingalls. She loves Ingalls We didn't start hiking until 1:00 pm. No worries. It's a straightforward trail and not alot of distance. Doesn't require a early start. 6 cars at the trailhead. Most I've ever seen. We only encountered 6 people, 1 dog and 3 domestic goats. That is more people, combined, that I've seen on my 3 previous trips I can't explain why this destination goes largely ignored. Not alot of trip reports in comparison. I've been 4 times now because I really, really enjoy this area. Like the title to this thread, I suppose I'm easily pleased. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no solid definition for "beauty". We all perceive it differently. Some may say why do I think this place is so great. I ask myself, what am I appreciating about this place that others aren't. Looking across the valley I was jealous of anybody on top of Mt Daniels. There was a fantastic and dramatic cloud display going on over there. ( Would love see some images if anybody has any from late afternoon Saturday July 7th )
We arrived at the pass about 3:00 pm and made our way over to Sprite Lake. We decided to plop down above the lake. Making our temporary home on a flattened pile of mining tailings. My wife began fiddling with her GoPro. I told her I was going to continue higher and I made my way up to point 6,360' for a better view down on Sprite Lake, Tacquala Meadows & Lake, across to the Cradle & Nursery, and over to Cathedral Rock & Mt Daniels. We stayed for nearly 2 hours enjoying the views and solitude. Then packed up and headed out. This area has very similar geological features as Lake Ingalls area. There is a rock greenish in color. I don't know it's official name. I've always referred to it, and have heard it referred to as "Teanaway Jade" On the way down, my wife found a couple of pieces she wanted to take home. The smaller piece she put in her pack. Palm sized. She asked if she could put the larger piece in mine. Fist sized. I agreed. Heading further down ( I was leading the way ) I heard the unmistakable sound of hiking boots losing their traction on loose granual trail. I quickly turned around just in time to see my wife catch her balance. "You okay?" She replied "Yep!" A few minutes later, same thing. This time, I quickly turned around and she was on her ass. Slight pain in her elbow that she landed on. I rushed back up the trail to help her up. She was already on her feet. I brushed all the dust off her ass ( I liked that part ) and we were back on our way. She was leading this time. Few more steps. Stumble Few more. Slip A little further down. Twist ankle. Just a little further on. Slip "Okay!" She says as she's shedding her pack. "It's Karma! The native God's are mad that I took these rocks!" She pulls the rock out of her pack, walks over to me, reached into my pack and removed the rock and then respectfully places them back on the trail. "There! I'm sorry!" No more mishaps the rest of the trip. Got back to the trailhead, drove down the road a bit, found our daughters campsite and hung out for a awhile. Great day with my wife

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 8:33 pm 
Ain't never been back in them parts, but yer right, looks real purdy. Do you happen to know what shape the French Creek Trail is in from there to the Klonaqua turnoff? Last I heard it was pretty bad.

General ****

General ****
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 10:38 pm 
Bootpathguy, Thank you for your report. Beautiful photos! I think it's wonderful that you and your wife were able to take a trip like this and link up with your daughters by the river. The hike looks like peace on earth.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
This area has very similar geological features as Lake Ingalls area. There is a rock greenish in color. I don't know it's official name. I've always referred to it, and have heard it referred to as "Teanaway Jade"
The greenish rock is serpentine. It comes from the mantle. Paddy Go Easy is the westernmost exposure I think, west of there is only granitic rocks. There is no true jade up there AFAIK, but serpentine co-occurs with jade down in southern Oregon.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 am 
neek wrote:
Do you happen to know what shape the French Creek Trail is in from there to the Klonaqua turnoff? Last I heard it was pretty bad.
Hey Neek. No. I haven't a clue. Would be a neat route over there

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:03 am 
General **** wrote:
I think it's wonderful that you and your wife were able to take a trip like this and link up with your daughters by the river
Thanks Brother! Makes us happy that our daughters and their friends think we're cool enough to hang out with them.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:10 am 
Sculpin wrote:
The greenish rock is serpentine. It comes from the mantle. Paddy Go Easy is the westernmost exposure I think, west of there is only granitic rocks.
Thanks Sculpin ( btw, sculpin imitation is my favorite streamer pattern for fly-fishing the Yakima )
I knew someone would chime in regarding the "Teanaway Jade". Thanks for the information

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I knew someone would chime in regarding the "Teanaway Jade".
I'm working on a TR from a recent Teanaway trip that will include a short essay on serpentine and the rare plants that grow on it. Stay tuned!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm 
Great TR. I have often considered trying that area from the east side (Jack/Meadow Creek).
Bootpathguy wrote:
Thanks Brother! Makes us happy that our daughters and their friends think we're cool enough to hang out with them.
Most kids actually like spending time with their parents before they enter the teen years. Enjoy it while you can. They don't hit that stage again until the late twenties, if that soon.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Most kids actually like spending time with their parents before they enter the teen years. Enjoy it while you can. They don't hit that stage again until the late twenties, if that soon.
18 & 23, so, I guess we're lucky.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
This area has very similar geological features as Lake Ingalls area. There is a rock greenish in color. I don't know it's official name. I've always referred to it, and have heard it referred to as "Teanaway Jade"
The greenish rock is serpentine. It comes from the mantle. Paddy Go Easy is the westernmost exposure I think, west of there is only granitic rocks. There is no true jade up there AFAIK, but serpentine co-occurs with jade down in southern Oregon.
Helpful comments, sculpin. Here are a few others. Serpentine is a mineral, rich in magnesium and water and is derived from low-temperature metamorphism of pyroxene and olivine. Serpentinite is a rock made of serpentine minerals and is formed by metamorphism of ultramafic rock such as dunite or peridotite, rocks that are formed in Earth's mantle. Serpentine minerals are commonly light to dark green in a variable mottled pattern, greasy looking, and smooth to the touch. In the Alpine Lakes region serpentinite is found in discontinuous exposures from Wedge Mountain and south of it in a general westerly direction to Ingalls Peak, Windy Pass, between Highchair Mtn. and Cradle Lake, and in a long narrow N-S band south of Deception Pass to Sprite Lake, where Bootpathguy encountered it and BPG's wife tried to abscond some. biggrin.gif BPG, if you have any closeup pictures of the green rock, please send them to What's this rock? What's that landform? quote="Bootpathguy"]
[/quote] In this picture the reddish rock in the foreground is ultramafic rock from the mantle, oxidized due to chemical weathering. Serpentine is often found with this rock. Contrast it with the gray rock in the mountain in the left distance. Help me with its identity...The Cradle, maybe?...but I can tell from this distance that it is granitic due to color and fracture pattern.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
BPG's wife tried to abscond some.
Every time I go to the Teanaway I fill the back of my station wagon with serpentinite rocks weathered to a deep orange. They look awesome in my rock garden. If the rock gods have demanded retribution I am unaware of it!

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
HitTheTrail wrote:
18 & 23, so, I guess we're lucky.
Another great TR Bootpathguy! Great story-telling. I'm lucky too. After losing my daughters to Satan somewhere between 14-18, both (now 21 and 23) are back to loving time with dear old dad. My younger girl and I just went into the high country last weekend, at her request, for a perfect alpine swim.