Forum Index > Trip Reports > Extraordinary snowpack deterioration high on Mt. Baker (Squak Glacier climb: July 22-23, 2021)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 am 
VIDEOS ADDED ( courtesy of Tim S.)
Lively Lisa
Lively Lisa
Kozy Katy and Jovial James
Kozy Katy and Jovial James
Gallant Gavin, Cool Craig, and Joyous Jeremiah
Gallant Gavin, Cool Craig, and Joyous Jeremiah
Cool Craig, eager to get to 'Craig' View to camp
Cool Craig, eager to get to 'Craig' View to camp
I have friends who skied this not long before the mega-melt. But today Lively Lisa is happy not to be skiin' this spiky frozen sea. Me too!
I have friends who skied this not long before the mega-melt. But today Lively Lisa is happy not to be skiin' this spiky frozen sea. Me too!
Tenacious Tim, my great friend for all of his 47 years.
Tenacious Tim, my great friend for all of his 47 years.
Baker climb via Squak Glacier July 22-23, 2021 I have never seen anything like it. "Like what?" you ask. Melting on the upper mountain, dramatically unmistakable and unmistakably dramatic above about 9,000'. As we started up from the now- popular camp at Crag View, conditions on the Squak Glacier early on July 23 were quite normal, with good cramponing and minimal crevasses, with the ones evident being easily crossed or circumvented. But as we climbed into a cloud at around 8500' and traversed over to the west edge of Sherman Crater, I was astounded at the surface appearance of the glacier. Normally in mid to late July the surface is still "white" and has modest suncups. But this time, the surface was dirty brown and gray and was completely molded into what are better described as "supercups". It most closely resembled in appearance a wind-battered sea with the unorganized waves being frozen.
love/ hate these alpine starts on big mountains
love/ hate these alpine starts on big mountains
dramatic sunrise
dramatic sunrise
dramatic moonset
dramatic moonset
creeping toward Mount Doom among  normal suncups.
creeping toward Mount Doom among normal suncups.
Supercups!  :eek:
Supercups! eek.gif
Suncup mutation= supercups.....so strange!
Suncup mutation= supercups.....so strange!
Where's the snow? :confused:
Where's the snow? confused.gif
It was rather amazing, and this is coming from someone who was a researcher with the (now-defunct) Mount Baker Volcano Research Center and a climber of Baker since 1964. I know this mountain. Most of the others in our group had no idea that the surface conditions surrounding us weren't normal, except for my continual exclamations of astoundedness. eek.gif confused.gif As I babbled on, they quickly were impressed that this was as far from the typical as 116 °F in June is in Portland! These were not typical pointed, nearly vertically-sided neve penitentes.....as common for late season those appeared on the summit snow dome filling Carmelo Crater (the summit 'half-crater"). These 'supercups' were different from anything I've seen anywhere, on this continent or on others. Our photos don't adequately portray the size and extent of the oddity. As we commenced with the final ascent up the south part of the Roman Wall, there was a narrow boot-built path that made it easier to negotiate the supercups. The bergschrund was huge, larger than I recall in previous ascents and separated into two en echelon sections, but on our climb was easily bypassed (may be difficult now, two weeks later). However, due to a steep cliff band above, the path led across the headwall to near the conventional finish to the Roman Wall when climbing via the Coleman. At this point the ice and snow were melted right down to bare ground, except for pebble-strewn patches of hard slippery water ice. This was a bottle-neck during our climb, with hoards of rope teams of climbers who had climbed the Easton Glacier passing in close proximity going up or down. It was a potential tangled-rope- sliding- climbers disaster in the making, with several terrified-looking novices in some of those groups seemingly frozen in place. Once we got past that stressful situation we huddled briefly in the lee of the low exposed rubbly rim of the melting-out Carmelo Crater....a feature that has been apparent in late season for the past decade or so. Visibility was poor and a steady 20-25 mph west wind was chilling. Fortunately the air temp was only in the low 40s and the cloud cap was only spitting a few drops.
Someone we passed thought Lively Lisa's classic MSR Thunderbird axe looked like a pencil confused.gif But she is primarily thinking " what view?"
....and another T-bird! These things are heavy but unbreakable.    But [i:d6d464d85d]pencil?[/i:d6d464d85d]  :dizzy: Don't write well. We still can't see the resemblance. The dude must have been hallucinating.
....and another T-bird! These things are heavy but unbreakable. But pencil? dizzy.gif Don't write well. We still can't see the resemblance. The dude must have been hallucinating.
We followed the boot path through a field of neve penitentes to the true summit (Grant's Peak), which was more bare than I have ever seen it, certainly for the third week of July. Also, it is important to stress that there are big crevasses and even moulin (Jake frown.gif ) on the summit snow dome. Many teams unrope or walk with ropes in loose coils across the dome...I strongly discourage that practice. Crevasses have appeared literally feet from the base of the final short walk to the peak. It would be a tragedy to safely negotiate the complexity of crevasses getting to this place only to have a mishap so close to the top.
slogging up the dirt path to Grant's Peak
slogging up the dirt path to Grant's Peak
No summit views now. Clear in two hours :cool:
No summit views now. Clear in two hours cool.gif
Here's my theory that might explain the "supercups" and dirty brown snow surface. Key points are heat, melting, bare ground, and wind. During the extraordinary heat spell the Pacific Northwest endured in late June of this year, the freezing level rose to over 17,000' and stayed that high for a few days. This led to rapid snow melting all over but particularly in this case high on Mt. Baker. The melting was so extreme that a significantly greater area of rock was exposed compared to normal. Blowing across unfrozen bare ground the wind would pick up finer particles (sand and smaller) and deposit them on the remaining snow surface. Normal suncups, with depressions separated by rounded ridges, would accumulate more wind-blown debris in the depressions due to gravity and the slightly lower wind velocity there. Dust accumulations in the 'lows' would have a lower albedo (reflectivity) and absorb more solar radiation. This will accelerate melting, deepening the lows, while at the same time the ridges will become more prominent, thus letting less dust accumulate on the ridges. This runaway feedback process will lead in time to "supercups". A note about our team: We were an eclectic mix of veterans and novices: Tim S., Lisa L., James V., Gavin S., Jeremiah R., Craig P., Katy F., and Doug M. For climbs of glaciated peaks, my requirements are only 4: 1)Desire 2)fitness 3)training 4)equipment. All 8 demonstrated great desire. Their fitness was outstanding (one member completed a very difficult mountain 50 km the day after our climb!), although the old dog was lagging behind on the approach hike. Then again, these energetic youngsters could by age be either my children or grandchildren. As needed, I give adequate training in snow travel and crevasse rescue before a climb. And the "McKeever Free Rental Shop" supplies clothing, boots, and equipment as much as needed and possible to allow those who don't have the gear. This was my #81 summit on Baker . This was one of the best groups, but I have never seen the mountain this "ugly"! Of course, the summit cleared a couple of hours after we stood there! biggrin.gif
Contrast the surface at 10,000...'
Contrast the surface at 10,000...'
...with it at 8,000'
...with it at 8,000'
I am going out on a limb and hypothesizing that this extent of melting on the upper portion of Baker is so exceptional that it might be a once in a century phenomenon. Have others of you seen similar effects on other volcanoes this season? Other pictures ( each of our 8 provided photos):
Squak Glacier and Sherman Peak
Squak Glacier and Sherman Peak
Resting on descent at west edge of Sherman Crater
Resting on descent at west edge of Sherman Crater
Colfax Peak and  'dirty' vs. 'clean' snow
Colfax Peak and 'dirty' vs. 'clean' snow
Tenacious Tim
Tenacious Tim
Spectacularly full
Spectacularly full
"there we were" ( view from quarry off NF-12)
"there we were" ( view from quarry off NF-12)
Lisa. Squeezed this climb in just a week  before going home to Texas
Lisa. Squeezed this climb in just a week before going home to Texas
Squak Glacier has the best early season moderate ski terrain
Squak Glacier has the best early season moderate ski terrain
climber's trail from Scott Paul to Crag View
climber's trail from Scott Paul to Crag View
grubbing it (clockwise: Cool Craig, Lively Lisa, Gallant Gavin, Kozy Katy, Jovial James, The Doug, Tenacious Tim,  Joyous Jeremiah
grubbing it (clockwise: Cool Craig, Lively Lisa, Gallant Gavin, Kozy Katy, Jovial James, The Doug, Tenacious Tim, Joyous Jeremiah
Bad hair Brushbuffalo
Bad hair Brushbuffalo
"Will be fun to tell my friends in Texas that we climbed that!"
"Will be fun to tell my friends in Texas that we climbed that!"
Can you ever get too many flowers?
Can you ever get too many flowers?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still

Cyclopath, awilsondc, jaysway, RichP, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 12:00 pm 
We noticed Baker did not "look right" for this tine of year when biking the Centenial Trail from Snohomish. Emmons broke up way earlier this year also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

mosey
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 12:42 pm 
Hood was practically bald other than glaciers already by early July. Haven't seen it for about a month now, I shudder to think what it looks like currently. I'm sure the glaciers are getting hammered this summer.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 12:59 pm 
I was shocked to see almost no snow on the northwest side of Mt. Adams on the 19th of July. The permanent snow fields were still there down lower uhoh.gif , but very little around the Adams Glacier:
Compare to this image from August 7 2010 (two weeks later!): http://www.nwhikers.org/forums/uploads/d9/9d/7272fc02774d1def98ae8628a121d99d_320x240.jpg

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 1:22 pm 
Emmons Glacier July 4

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 4:55 pm 
Glad we didn't start talking climate change being the cause

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 5:14 pm 
Time will tell. This is weather.

silence

silence
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 6:16 pm 
Yikes .... that looks sad!!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 9:07 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Oh wow. You added more pictures. I looked at this when you first put it up this morning and only saw a few. I was wondering what that glacial ice looked like. This next one looks like something out of a Jules Verne novel:
Brushbuffalo wrote:
That's a happy looking crew you got there. Well done. ~z

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 9:42 pm 
zephyr wrote:
This next one looks like something out of a Jules Verne novel:
Brushbuffalo wrote:
That's a happy looking crew you got there. Well done. ~z
Yes, otherworldly. Some of our team remarked that it looked like Mars ( reddish dirt). For four of them it was their first trip on a volcano, and I don't think they realized how unusual the snow conditions were. The crew...one of the best I've been with in over 100 trips on Baker. Solid, dependable and yes, cheerful. Always smiling ...A+ in the attitude department.

timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 10:26 am 
Good to hear

drm

drm
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am 
This is excerpted from the Rainier climber's blog entry for May 1, well before the big heat wave:
Quote:
the upper mountain snowpack looks more like late-June than early-May. The windy winter and lack of April storms has resulted in more open crevasses and generally lower snow levels than one would expect this time of year.
http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/2021/05/ At that point, the snotel at Paradise was way above average snowpack. So even before the June heat dome, alpine conditions were already headed towards what you saw. Then The Big Heat 2021 happened.

mosey

mosey
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Emmons Glacier July 4
Emmons vista
Emmons vista
Here's another more recent pic. I've never seen the north side of rainier so bare - it appears more rock than ice from i90 peaks this year.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 12:09 pm 
drm wrote:
alpine conditions were already headed towards what you saw
Awesome work drm! ace.gif That is a great find. The condition of Mt. Adams was just too confusing. If all the snow melted in a 3-day heat dome, why didn't the creeks blow out? Now we know the answer.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 12:50 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
. If all the snow melted in a 3-day heat dome, why didn't the creeks blow out?
Certainly all the snow didn't melt during the brief but intense hot spell toward the end of June, and sorry if my narrative, our observations. and my theory to explain the formation of 'supercups' implied a single, brief cause. We only observed a late stage in a series of linked processes. You are correct Sculpin, a handful of days of melting would have been evident in flooding due to meltwater. The heat wave was not a single causal factor but merely the last straw. . Melting at altitude had already gotten ahead of as noted of normal due to lack of new spring snowfall, a relatively warm and sunny June, and several years of thinner snowpack at higher altitudes, then rapid melting in June exposing bare ground. All of this led to the strange ' supercups' we saw. Once the ground was snowfree, conditions leading to 'supercups' became optimum. In other words several factors worked together and then BAM! Dramatic results in short order. There isn't much, if anything, in the geologic or meteorological world that is singularly caused.