Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 3:48 pm 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
Schroder wrote:
Never heard that reference before.
I believe Discovering Washington's Historic Mines refers to that tarn by that name in its directions to the O&B.
I see WDFW uses that name in their maps too. I've spent all my life in that area and never heard the name before. I wonder where it came from. Cultus Lake WDFW map

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 12, 2023 10:01 pm 
So does anyone have an update as to if and when they plan to open Barlow pass this year? The timing sucks, wish they would have done all this work last year when I was depressed and not hiking much. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 am 
Is Barlow Pass still gated right now?

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 11:14 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Is Barlow Pass still gated right now?
It was still gated as of last Sunday 7/9. There were no signs prohibiting bikes/hikers on the road. I biked it from Barlow Pass a little bit north to the remediation road. There were some blowdowns but they had been mostly cleared so easily passable. If you have a bike/e-bike you can find a lot of solitude at some of the traditionally more popular destinations in the area. Like the Goat lake post above in this thread.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 11:29 am 
Schroder wrote:
I wonder where it came from.
Chinook jargon meaning "bad, worthless" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_Jargon#Chinook_Jargon_words_used_by_English-language_speakers

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 4:45 pm 
Slim wrote:
There were no signs prohibiting bikes/hikers on the road.
Speaking of, no one has yet attempted to answer my question as to why some washed out roads (currently the one 15 miles north of Priest Lake) are barricaded and with signs stating a possible 5k fine for passage and 10K for motor vehicle passage? While others that are as bad or worse (like when Deer creek road was washed out) and yet there were no signs or barricades. Both roads are in Wa state not that that makes a difference as they are both on USFS land. Another, the road to the 3 fingers TH is open to bike and foot traffic but not to motorized, not sure if there is a sign there threatening a fine or if it's ok to E-bike it. Is it just a whimsical thing that officials decide upon with no real reason?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 5:54 pm 
The gates at Barlow Pass and Bedal Creek are still closed. The USFS is currently working on it. The guy at the Verlot Service Center showed me this picture of the problem.
This is close to where Elliott Creek crosses the road. The USFS will make repairs enough to make it safe for cars, but it will probably be rough. It's actually Snohomish County Roads that will decide when the USFS has made it safe enough. Maybe this weekend but more likely next week. The Sunrise Mine Rd is in good shape. The biggest washed out places have been fixed with really big culverts that are cemented in, then covered with large rocks. It really impressive. There was a small fire ring at a viewpoint that had some garbage in it so I went to pick it up.
I used a plastic bag as a glove and as I picked stuff out of the fire ring it melted the plastic bag. Ouch. I used a heavier duty potato chip bag to contain the warm, charred wood and napkins. I dumped what little water I had on the ash and rocks and made things steam a little. The Boardman Rd is closed and being worked on. It should open in a week or two. The Pilchuck Rd is open to the Heather Lake TH. The car eating potholes have been fixed. The gate is closed just past the parking lot. Right now there are no fire restrictions at all and as you drive along the Mountain Loop highway you can smell the campfires in the dispersed camps. That ends tomorrow. [i]Stage 1 Public Use Campfire Restrictions for the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest begin Friday, July 14. All fires will be prohibited except in designated campgrounds[/i]

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Cyclopath, Slim, philfort, jaysway, Anne Elk, Chief Joseph, fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jul 13, 2023 11:55 pm 
Thanks for that intel Logbear. Odd that they aren't making that more widely known.

philfort

philfort
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 6:56 am 
MBSNF is really bad at communication...

Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 9:03 pm 

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

fourteen410
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 10:59 am 
I read that the ML past Barlow pass and to Darrington opened yesterday.

nuclear_eggset
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 11:54 am 
The Mountain Loop highway actually opened on Saturday. I drove over Barlow Pass and down to where the bad washout was. The bad washout place is at a weird place. It's north of the portion of road that is right above the river. That part is fine. A small creek bed north of there in a relatively level area pushed a bunch of muck across the road. The muck is piled up next to the road. It smells pretty bad. Between Barlow Pass and the Bedal Gate the road was covered with pine needles and cones. The potholes weren't that bad. North of the Bedal gate to the pavement the potholes are really bad. USFS says they will have someone grade it in August. In the meantime the potholes just slow the traffic down. Just for fun I counted some cars. Barlow Pass: 119 on the road, not including the Barlow Point parking lot. Lake 22: TH parking lot was gridlock, and the picnic area across the highway was full with an additional 90 cars along the highway. There was a lot of pedestrians on the road. Big 4: Cars were parked in the parking area and picnic area with a lot of room to spare. Bathrooms are only at the parking area. Law enforcement was active in the area. There were 2 USFS Law enforcement rigs checking disbursed camps, and a Sheriff tagging cars for tow. High temperature at Silverton was 92.5. Bedal high was 94.1.

SpookyKite89
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 1:14 pm 
This is hilarious. We came out of a 5-day hike from the NF Sauk trailhead ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON and wondered whether the road had reopened in our absence. But of course, no internet access, so no way to check. So we wasted time driving up through Darrington. I realize now I should asked the few people I saw milling around the parking lot.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 3:46 pm 
I did ambassador duty at the Lake 22 trailhead on Saturday with a great person from Glacier Peak Institute and a friend from WTA. The trailhead was an ABSOLUTE zoo with hundreds of people and cars lined up 3/4 of a mile below the parking lot. Many people did not realize they need a parking pass or NW forest pass and we were pestered for change. I counted over 70 dogs before I gave up. There is a small landslide on the trail but it sure didn't stop anyone :shakehead IF you decide to go there, I would advise a very early start. The parking lot was full when we arrived at 7:30 eek.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 4:42 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
I did ambassador duty at the Lake 22 trailhead on Saturday with a great person from Glacier Peak Institute and a friend from WTA. The trailhead was an ABSOLUTE zoo with hundreds of people and cars lined up 3/4 of a mile below the parking lot. Many people did not realize they need a parking pass or NW forest pass and we were pestered for change. I counted over 70 dogs before I gave up. There is a small landslide on the trail but it sure didn't stop anyone :shakehead IF you decide to go there, I would advise a very early start. The parking lot was full when we arrived at 7:30 eek.gif
Now that I live a bit closer to this area I finally went to Lake 22 for the first time a couple weeks ago during the week; starting your hike at 6 PM and returning to the bottom at dusk is another good way to avoid the crowds!

SpookyKite89, Cyclopath, Anne Elk