Forum Index > Trip Reports > 4 peaks, North Cascades BC - June 4-6
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 5:01 pm 
Went with John for a few south BC peaks. We did 6 peaks in 4 days. First day omitted becuase it was less interesing. Some new fires gave our itinerary a new dirtection. Everything seen here was impromtu, not part of the original plan. 6-4 Hope Mountain - 6050' If you can make the drive up the steep logging road, then you can probably hike the trail up Hope Mountain. We saw only trucks at the trailhead, and more bears on the road (3) than trucks. There is one crux area where you cross some downsloping rock with exposure on a ledge. The ledge was wet and muddy for us.
Hope
Hope
Wells, Grant
Wells, Grant
ledge
ledge
Isolillock at right
Isolillock at right
Wells Peak - 6112' Two trails depart from the same trailhead. We decided to do both peaks. The Wells trail is used less. There's flagging on both trails, whenever the way becomes less distinct. It also had more snow on the route. Right before the final southeast ridge, there are some steep dirt steps.
Wells
Wells
Silvertip, Rideout, Payne, Grant
Silvertip, Rideout, Payne, Grant
Foley, Welch, The Still, Baby Munday, Knight, Lady
Foley, Welch, The Still, Baby Munday, Knight, Lady
A nice view of (Pleiades, Larrabee, American Border, Canadian Border) from our secret camp spot
A nice view of (Pleiades, Larrabee, American Border, Canadian Border) from our secret camp spot
6-5 Mount Mercer - 5571' Often the best views are on smaller peaks surrounded by bigger peaks. Such is the case with Mercer. Unfortunately, the access road has been cut off by a new cut-block, so you have to walk from lower down, but we didn't mind it much.
the North Cascade sentinals, Slesse on the left and American Border on the right
the North Cascade sentinals, Slesse on the left and American Border on the right
Cheam and Lady
Cheam and Lady
Welch group from the summit
Welch group from the summit
Rexford and Slesse
Rexford and Slesse
Tomyhoi and Baker
Tomyhoi and Baker
6-6 Cheam Peak - 6903' 13 years ago, near the summit of Tomyhoi, I encountered some Canadians. I asked them what was a good peak to do in Canada and they said Mount Cheam. I have wanted to do it since that day, but it's not accessible without a jeep or truck, because of the mondo-sized water bars. Good things come to those who wait.
Cheam from an upper basin
Cheam from an upper basin
There is a trail to the summit, but we had to climb some snow on the upper mountain. John and I agree that this peak has one of the best summit views we've ever seen. Probably top 5 for me. I spent at least 40 minutes on the summit just looking at everything. Thanks for driving that road John!
Fraser valley
Fraser valley
Slesse, Blum, Shuksan, Larrabee, American Border, Canadian Border, Tomyhoi
Slesse, Blum, Shuksan, Larrabee, American Border, Canadian Border, Tomyhoi
Harrison Lake
Harrison Lake
main stuff seen here is Wahleach Lake, Jarvis, Outram, Welch, Lady
main stuff seen here is Wahleach Lake, Jarvis, Outram, Welch, Lady
a new fire
a new fire

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

MangyMarmot, Bramble_Scramble, jaysway, LukeHelgeson, RichP, Prosit, Now I Fly  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 5:17 pm 
Wow! Need to head North! Thanks for the report!

Gimpilator
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 9:43 am 
Thanks for confirming the roads are still just as bad!

Art is an adventure.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 10:50 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
a new fire
a new fire
frown.gif Looks like you had a quiet day on Cheam. From what I understand, it's the Chilliwack version of Si/Mailbox in terms of popularity once it melts out. It sounds like you were able to drive up to the trailhead though?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 pm 
The road was sort of OK, aside from the water bars. However there was one bad section that we tried in John's Tacoma and couldn't make it. That left about 2 miles of road walking to the trailhead. Another truck parked there after us. Please look up my peakbagger track log to find the exact spot we started.