Forum Index > Trail Talk > Geo-fenced Daily Enchantments Permit Applications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 11:18 pm 
Maybe I will backpack the 'Chants and sleep standing up, like a horse. poop.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lokicat

Lokicat
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 am 
And for those of us without a cell phone?

huron

huron
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:10 am 
No phone? Stuart batholith pattern camo is what you need.

Slim, bccarlso  Lokicat
idoru

idoru
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 am 
Adding this to my already quite hefty "Why The Enchantments Aren't Worth It" pile.

Chief Joseph, Kim Brown
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 am 
I give it one year. Then it will stop. Call me on it for next year!

Art is an adventure.

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 am 
ejain wrote:
I'm assuming this was done because too many people were grabbing walk-up permits and then not showing up? Or locals wanted to have a better shot at getting a permit? Once they realize that people are still "cheating", perhaps they'll introduce a system based on Bluetooth Beacons, so you have to stand right next to or on top of the office 🙃
I take it for granted that it's more to do with manpower cutbacks. I object to the on line, on phone over-tech overkill for everything. They haven't taken into consideration that there's a fair amt of the population in the US that doesn't have the latest gadget accessory. Then there are rural areas without decent internet connection. Pretty soon it will be as difficult to get a permit as a big name concert ticket thru TicketMaster.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 am 
Lokicat wrote:
What about people that don't have cars ? In terms of societal equity issues -- making accomidations for the retro grouches that don't have mobile phones a fifth of the way through the 21st century doesn't seem like a wise priority. In sub-saharan Africa the population has moved to using mobile phones for banking and person to person financial transactions. -- if people in Côte d'Ivoire are widely using a phone to pay for grocery shopping -- it is hard to be sympathetic to someone in a country as wealthy as the United States complaining they are being shut out from a recreational activity involving hundreds or thousands of dollars of other gear because they choose to not own a mobile device. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2772503023000749#:~:text=Mobile%20money%20actors'%20profiles%3A%20banks,market%20for%20mobile%20money%20services.

jditty, fourteen410
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 am 
Randito wrote:
...it is hard to be sympathetic to someone in a country as wealthy as the United States complaining they are being shut out from a recreational activity involving hundreds or thousands of dollars of other gear because they choose to not own a mobile device.
Well that's a bit of an exaggeration unless you're including the cost of a car. It's not even about whether you own a mobile device. It's a known fact that cell service (and cost) is way worse in the US than in Europe, and I wouldn't be surprised if "somehow" it's better in some 3rd world countries. The last time I was up on the Mt. Loop Hwy, they still had no cell reception. I live in the heart of Ballard and T-Mobile reception on my iPhone is s$&%%y. They keep telling me they don't have 5G home internet yet in my neighborhood. WTF? I finally went back to their store to complain. The sales guy said, "Oh yeah, whenever I'm in Ballard my reception is awful. He then offered convoluted explanation of why. Something about subcontracted engineering and towers. And then someone on here has suggested a system where I'd also need to go out and buy a "Bluetooth Beacon" accessory. huh.gif If the walk-up permitting system was working fine, why mess with it? We keep getting less and less for more and more. I must be having a bad day. dizzy.gif

ChinookPass, Chief Joseph
hbb

hbb
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am 
Nothing like a minor change to a permitting system and a modest fee to get folks on this site riled up.

Randito  Anne Elk, idoru
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 am 
Lokicat wrote:
How can you hike without a phone? Don't you go into the wilderness to watch TikTok? How do you even breathe without technology? Shouldn't you have the sunscreen app to protect yourself? Hiking on a trail and being online are two sides of a coin, there's no one without the other!! (This is sarcasm, my point is that hiking is completely unrelated to internet technology and should be able to accommodate old school people.)

gb, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 3:23 pm 
Well, not to keep beating a topic to death smackbum.gif but don't you just get annoyed by the way all the "entities" out there just keep piling on with digital everything? Just an example - I was at Fred Meyer today; saw toothpaste on sale, my brand. But it wasn't enough to have a "shopper's card" (which I've never registered but it works anyway). Now they also want you to use a "digital coupon" - so they can get in your phone, too. Screw that! irked.gif

IanB, dixon
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 5:13 pm 
I had that same thing happen at Fred Meyer and it makes me angry. There are some businesses here in North Idaho that began charging a 4% surcharge if you pay with a credit card, so I now use cash. I think the powers that be would like to get rid of cash eventually, then everything you buy will be tracked. Progress?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 5:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I had that same thing happen at Fred Meyer and it makes me angry. There are some businesses here in North Idaho that began charging a 4% surcharge if you pay with a credit card, so I now use cash. I think the powers that be would like to get rid of cash eventually, then everything you buy will be tracked. Progress?
Yup. I took my checkbook along to pay for some trailer maintenance. Apparently, Visa and other cards are charging businesses a higher fee than before to process card payments. The trailer place was also charging 4% if a card was used for payment.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:59 pm 
Apologies to the OP. hijacked.gif
Chief Joseph wrote:
There are some businesses here in North Idaho that began charging a 4% surcharge if you pay with a credit card, so I now use cash. I think the powers that be would like to get rid of cash eventually, then everything you buy will be tracked.
This is a somewhat different issue but I want to respond since Treeswarper also commented on it. I was a partner in a small business for a couple decades and in that period saw credit card use go up quite a bit. When banks are taking 3-4% off the top of nearly your entire gross it amounts to a serious chunk of change for small businesses with high rents and small margins. The fee for debit card use was less, but not sure that's still the case. A better way to deal with it might be for the biz to raise their prices but then advertise "4% discount for cash/check". There are lots of folks who just don't see the big deal about cash going away, but I figure they just haven't thought it through.

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 pm 
Randito wrote:
In terms of societal equity issues -- making accomidations for the retro grouches that don't have mobile phones a fifth of the way through the 21st century doesn't seem like a wise priority.
And that's why I can't ski in the Alpental "back bowls" anymore! I don't ski with my phone because I want a break from being connected 24/7. Also it interferes with my avalanche beacon, even in airplane mode - you know, the one thing you really should have to be out the gates

mosey, Chief Joseph