Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 20, 2024 8:00 pm 
neek wrote:
I'd rather give out my checking account # than my credit card info
FYI most credit cards these days let you create a one time use, pretend card. It has a new number and a limit of whenever you're about to spend. So you don't actually have to give either out in situations where you don't fully trust a company.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 21, 2024 12:10 am 
That's how it is in the industry these days! It's just a regular old type deal these days in the industry. All these various credit card offers!! Gets too confusing!!!

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 21, 2024 5:06 am 
You should be in bed

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 21, 2024 2:43 pm 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 21, 2024 4:27 pm 
Need cash for emergency fire starter.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 am 
Some interesting reader comments from the NYT article that Cyclopath posted:
Quote:
According to the federal reserve 16% of Americans are under-banked, 5% of Americans don't have any type of bank account, 30% of Americans don't have a single credit card. The NPS instance on going cash-less literally means that up to a third of the American population can't visit a park.
Quote:
I was a fed for 28 years. There are two reasons they did this: 1. GUARANTEED some corporation has a contract to run the system, and they want the fees. We were forced to use government travel cards (and be issued one to our personal credit record) by Citibank, and when Citibank whined they weren't getting enough fees, directives came down to make us use the cards. 2. They don't trust the employees to not steal cash.
Quote:
The irony is that the NPS has been trying for several years now to lure people who don't normally visit national parks. They want it to be fair, and to let people know that it is widely available to all. They WANT people who are low income, or urban, or people of color, people who don't think that the parks are for them, to come. This policy is doing just the opposite. It's nonsense to say, "please come, this belongs to you," and then say, "oh, and by the way, don't use cash if you don't have a credit card or are unbanked. You perhaps should go to a supermarket and buy a card," adding an extra step to visit a place that they insist is for you.
Quote:
If the government didn't stop using the cash it prints and stopped sending 3% of every transaction to megabank of your choice when you use your credit / debit card, how would the CEOs of JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs be able to afford their $400 million Central Park South penthouses, Long Island estates, and Rocky Mountain ski resorts?! (Never mind all the money they feed politicians to keep the spout open.)
There was also at least one commenter questioning why Booz Allen and the cost to license its software wasn't mentioned. Another solution: the feds could charge extra for card use (like some businesses now do), and use those extra funds to pay for the supposed costs of handling cash. Problem solved! Funny how handling cash was fine for 100+ years, now it's suddenly not OK.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Chief Joseph, Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Another solution:
Don't charge for access to public land. If we've been spending $40k to process $22k of visitor fees, then it would cost less to just let everybody in for free and we can use that $18k on something worth while.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 11:04 am 
My "solution" is that I don't pay for the use of public land.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
idoru

idoru
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 1:38 pm 
NYTimes Comment wrote:
According to the federal reserve 16% of Americans are under-banked, 5% of Americans don't have any type of bank account, 30% of Americans don't have a single credit card. The NPS instance on going cash-less literally means that up to a third of the American population can't visit a park.
Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but isn't this statement false? Yes, up to a third of the population couldn't visit a park if they were using a credit card, but the system will take debit cards, too. A cursory Google reveals that perhaps as much as 93% of Americans have a debit card, which matches up with the 5% that don't have a bank account (if you have an account, it's likely you have a card). If that is accurate, then most Americans can visit a park. And, because it's pertinent to this conversation, while looking this information up, I came across this Forbes piece that says, "just 9% of Americans primarily use cash to pay for purchases". I also came across this from the GAO that says credit card usage in the US is more along the lines of 82%, as opposed to 70%. uhh.gif Edit: It's annoying that the NYTimes' only comment about this was, "Some noted that not everyone has credit or debit cards," without any attempt on their end to provide statistics for something so relevant to the outrage people are having.

fourteen410, kiliki, Cyclopath
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 4:25 pm 
Also remember that you only need one person in the car to have a debit or credit card. So we've figured out that only 7% of people don't have a debit card...now what percentage happen to also have a car (that I guess would have been a gift or bought with a stack of cash?), and want to visit NPs alone or with others that have no debit card? We are down to a very small slice of people, and those people can go buy a Visa gift card before they show up at an entrance booth. There are also plenty of parks that charge no fee, or that have many areas that don't require fees or passes. All of WA's NPs have these areas. NCNP doesn't charge anything at all.

fourteen410, idoru
BigBrunyonEnjoyerAI

BigBrunyonEnjoyerAI
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 pm 
They don't charge if you WAKE UP EARLY!!! Then you can keep the sack of cash for Fox's up past eatonville after you get down from climbing

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Mar 23, 2024 12:31 pm 
kiliki wrote:
those people can go buy a Visa gift card before they show up at an entrance booth.
The part people keep forgetting is that passes can be purchased with cash at nearby vendors and presented at the booth.

idoru
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 pm 
The nuclear blast zone!!! eek.gif flammable.gif
https://www.leavenworthecho.com/stories/new-mobile-app-streamlines-enchantment-permit-area-daily-lottery,79660

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 pm 
Just as long as the upper deck at Gustav's is included .....

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"