Forum Index > Support & Feedback > New photo server
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 3:35 am 
Just a heads up we've upgraded to a new photo server (cloud.nwhikers.net). If you don't notice anything different that's good news, it means I didn't screw anything up. clown.gif Hopefully the new server is not only faster but solves problems with images not loading on some networks. There is also a new option to view EXIF metadata via the lightbox (click the thumbnail, then the downward pointing arrow to the top right):
Now I Fly wrote:
The old photo server (nwhikers.org) will be retired in October when the domain and hosting plan expires. If you are direct linking to images from your personal website, be sure to update links as follows: nwhikers.org/forums/uploads/ab/cd/filename.jpg => cloud.nwhikers.net/filename.jpg

neek, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:37 am 
The View EXIF feature is cool!

neek

neek
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:55 am 
Tom wrote:
If you are direct linking to images from your personal website, be sure to update links as follows
Nice...I don't think many people direct link, but what's the feasibility of adding an nginx rewrite rule to make this automatic, and making nwhikers.org a CNAME after the cutover?

idoru
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 12:37 pm 
Matt Lemke may be the only one direct linking. It would be easy to do a redirect but I wasn't planning to renew the nwhikers.org domain in perpetuity so figured 6 months heads up would be plenty of time, and a redirect wouldn't be possible after that. That domain was just a stop gap 5-6 years ago when we needed to find a place to back up all the flickr images. I found a cheap shared host with "unlimited" storage and it came with a free domain. That eventually morphed into a backup of all external images, and then a place to upload images directly. Now that we have transferred the ~1.5 million images to a new server (and backed them up elsewhere) no plans to use that domain for anything else so going to let it expire.

Prosit

Prosit
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm 
When you research trips in other parts of the country, and use forums for those locations, you realize just how good the features of the NWHikers forum are. It’s intuitive and allows you to tell the story of a trip, or to read one, without the software getting in the way of the tale. Features like the photo server contribute to that seamlessness. Having no ads is also a big bonus, allowing users to focus on what they came here for. Good search capability provides the gateway to a wealth of information, experience, and inspiration. Thanks for your efforts and dedication to the site Tom. It’s well appreciated!

dave allyn, JimK, IanB, runup  idoru
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 5:03 pm 
Thanks, we do some non-standard stuff like = sign below the img tag for captions which I think confuses some folks, but apart from a slight learning curve, I'd agree it easier to post narratives with lots of images than with "modern" forum software. I've been tempted to change things so the first line below an image automatically becomes the caption which might make things more intuitive.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 5:16 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
The View EXIF feature is cool!
The new server allows us to do a lot more than before. It's a VPS so basically our own box, and we can install whatever software we want. The old server was on a shared host so we were at the mercy of whatever they installed, or worse, took away. The impetus to find a new server was triggered last year when that host inexplicably removed imagemagick, which castrated our ability to resize and thumbnail images.

zimmertr
Prosit

Prosit
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 10:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
I've been tempted to change things so the first line below an image automatically becomes the caption which might make things more intuitive.
I recall noticing that = sign the first time I posted images. I took it as an indication of functionality, and I assumed that in the context of an image it could only be for a caption. I tested it in preview to confirm this. I think the lack of any indicator might suggest to some that captions aren't possible. The presence of some indicator of functionality encourages experimentation. Of course, the clearest indicator would be "Caption:" instead of an = sign, were that possible.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Apr 05, 2024 10:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
It's a VPS
Next step: Kubernetes. Just kidding wink.gif

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Apr 06, 2024 11:48 am 
Is it possible for users to upload photos to nwhikers but decline to share exif data?

idoru
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 06, 2024 1:59 pm 
Yes, I could add an option for that.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Apr 06, 2024 3:11 pm 
I would appreciate that, Tom, but understand if it's a low ROI project for your core user base. Thanks for the consideration here and the long-term upkeep of nwhikers in general.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 06, 2024 4:59 pm 
In the interim, if you don't want to share EXIF, you can use copy / paste to upload images. To do that, display the image on your screen, copy it to the clipboard, and paste the bitmap into your post. For example, I did that with the sample image above and voila, no metadata.
Unfortunately it's not so easy do on mobile, at least not in the google photos app, as it doesn't have an option to copy to the clipboard, so I'll look into adding an option.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Apr 07, 2024 7:23 pm 
I really like this improvement. It will save me time downloading an image just to check if there's EXIF in it. Without a GPS location or timestamp, photos I want to save are much less interesting. For images like this one where I ... * Compressed with JPEGMini * Did a 3-shot pano-merge in Lightroom and did some editing * Did some touch up in Photoshop after exporting the EXIF gets really big. I don't have a problem with that, it's quite entertaining to skim it. I bothers me a lot more that sites like FB always strip out the EXIF. I understand why it's the default. For "Name That Lake" it would be helpful to have the option to strip the EXIF in case people don't have software that does that.
https://cloud.nwhikers.net/jmqcv

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:30 am 
Now that I think about it, it does open up a can of worms. The metadata has always been there, we don't strip it whether it's an upload or cached from flickr or wherever else it might be posted. But now that the metadata is more easily viewed, I can appreciate there might be privacy concerns. You probably don't want to share location uploading a picture taken with your cell phone in the back yard, so perhaps only share location for images posted in the trip report forum, with an option to disable that, or just keep it simple and add the option on the posting screen. The other metadata doesn't strike me as all that sensitive, and I can see rationale for why it shouldn't be stripped. For example, if someone puts their name in the metadata they might actually want it there for copyright reasons, but maybe not. Hence the can of worms, and why facebook and other platforms just strip everything.