Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > PC Help
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Dec 18, 2004 2:26 pm 
Well another problem has sprung up here. This time it's browser/internet related. The symptons: 1) I notice my pulldown favorites menu is not fully expanded as it was. 2) When loading up a web page, I get, new to me, icons with a cirlcle, square & triangle that are red, blue & gray before the image is displayed. 3) A lot of time a get a not found page. Sometimes can't find any page. If I disconnect my dialup and redial, no problems for a few web pages. Sometimes more visits are possible. Sometimes I can let it sit and then things will be fine for a while again. What I've done: 1) I've compared the settings on both setups, internet options & Zone Alarm. Checked the dialup settings and # to dial. 2) Ran Spybot, Hijackthis, Pest Patrol, Ad-aware & McAfee. Found nothing. My disks are not even close to being full. 3) I connected my laptop to the same line and had no problems at all. What I have: 1.)P-450, W2K w/SP4, IE6 w/SP1. 56k modem. This stated happening last Mon. or Tues. So you think I got some bug, worm, trojan? Somebody logging on to my pc and screwing things up for me? Ya, I know it's all old crap but it's better than the 386. Thanks for any help. Newt [EDIT] With this post I can see your avitar but not mine. When looking at attached photos I get the goofy icon image. I'm thinking the attachments are linked to an off site location, which my avatars are. Sometimes I do see them tho, but not always.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Dec 19, 2004 12:38 am 
So the images just aren't loading? Sounds like Zone Alarm being a bitch as it has a history of. So, step one - Uninstall it. Step two - get Firefox.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Dec 19, 2004 9:19 am 
Sometimes the images all load up. Sometimes just a few. And a lot of times the web pages are not found. Sometimes it may go a few hours ok and then the not found crap. I forgot to mention that my email works fine, in/out and the news groups are ok. Both are Outlook. So what to use other than Zone Alarm? And why the pc and not the laptop when they both have the same programs and updates? Thanks Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Dec 19, 2004 11:17 am 
I switched to Firefox yesterday after reading this thread. Everything works faster and better now. This site no longer has "slowness", and my other downloads go faster as well. There is a small learning curve, but I'm already very happy with it. Apparently, Internet Explorer is like an anchor dragging behind a ship, slowing everything down and mucking it up. Good riddance! The only thing I miss is the "IE Spell" that Tom turned me on to. Does anyone know if there is a similar spellchecker for Firefox?

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Dec 19, 2004 12:53 pm 
You may want to check out Spellbound. It looks like it is the leading spell checker plug in for Firefox. Disclaimer: I have not used it so I can not vouch for how it works. Google "spellbound spell checker" to get some information from the web-community on it.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 1:07 am 
Definitely sounds like Zone Alarm is the problem. Delete it. Download and install Firefox and your security increases by like 200% even without a firewall. Get Spybot and Ad-Aware if you don't have them already. Dunno about firewalls, never needed them (still on dialup).

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 1:42 am 
What is firefox?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 3:31 am 
Firefox is a nice little browser. I use the larger version, Mozilla, on the big computer 'cuz it has more features, and the lil' Firefox on the laptop. Once you try the Mozilla browsers, IE just seems annoying.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 9:26 pm 
I currently use netscape... altho it is kinda slow. I use it cus it's readily available online... and cus i don't like popups or stupid little programs that download themselves onto your computor.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 10:04 pm 
Dump Netscape. Firefox is way more stable, smaller, and is fully W3C complaint and up to date. Netscape 7 is essentially an older version of Mozilla, but it doesn't display some webpages correctly because it doesn't conform to the newest standards (it isn't being updated any longer I believe). Plus, you can't skin it. cool.gif

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostMon Dec 20, 2004 10:43 pm 
just switched over! You guys are right... it IS faster. Pretty nice.