Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > to TR or not to TR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:25 pm 
Yes, Goat has it right. This is not about browbeating, but it IS about talking with others who like to get to off-the-beaten-path to see places not often visited. When we've had this discussion in the past, there has a bit of Hey, give it up! and like MG, I will give it up when asked in person or PM about a particular place. Unfortunately, sometimes when a place gets talked about here on the forum, a lot of people tend to get the same idea. Examples of this might be the butthabs, chicken leg, and the sknaT. All areas that can't take a lot of impact before they will get so trampled that there won't be much to see there any more. So if you tend to those kinds of places, let's hear what you have to say. I often find myself torn between keeping a lid on it so the place will stay nice for future generations and sharing a bit so that people open their eyes to the rich bounties here and therefore become better stewards of our fine wildlands.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:53 pm 
I guess I tend to lean to Mr. Curtis's fil-os-o-fee. Except I think that I posted my Eci Berg trip two years ago. That bugger was hard enough to get to that I'm not to worried about it, but in hind site I probably wouldn't do it again. There was no camp sites of any kind anywhere. There impact could adversely effect the area. Like ML Ill give it up if asked in person or thru PM, but not in open forum so much.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 6:21 pm 
Quote:
Just to clarify: What we're talking about is places that have no system trail to them, and are therefore not listed in books. I'm sure if you've visited some of these places, you know they can be markedly different in character to places that see regular visitation.
first of all I have visited many places across the country just like that. I do understand what you are saying and asking. All I am saying is these places are not as secret as some think they are. I don't give a rats ass if you TR or not. (Forgive me for the thread drift but I need to get something off my chest) What I find ironic is that my post has been there most of the day and nothing was said until someone agreed with it. As soon as Hichen posted guess who jumped all over it (within minutes). Seems that many (especially newbies) can't have an opinion, idea or thought with out being ridiculed by ML. I am sorry ML but you are not the only one who has experience and knowledge here. I know you have been here since day one but I don't feel that gives you the right to do what you do to people. This is a public board not Mary Lou's. You could be and probably are a very nice person but you come off differently on this board. BTW I am not the only person on the board who feels this way (as we all know). Now... don't pull me into the chat room and ridicule me some more like you did last week. I probably should not post this because I know the whips will come out. So whip away. This is what I am feeling from reading recent threads, old threads, and personal experience. smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 6:28 pm 
I'm trying to facilitate a focused discussion on a particular issue that's been on my mind lately. Please don't take that personally, thanks.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Secret Si back route

Secret Si back route
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 6:56 pm 
This site isn't indexed well enough to be a thread\t (IMHO). You have to be a Dedicated Reader to figure out the secrets spots, and most DR's won't

oosik

oosik
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 7:24 pm 
Tom wrote:
Let your conscience guide you, not a set of rules, or peer pressure.
For people that have no conscience or have never really thought about the issue, peer pressure can serve a useful purpose. The point is to think before you act. If you visit an off-trail place and relish the solitude and untrammeled nature, publishing a detailed route description with a glowing endorsement will change the very things you value about your visit. Some would say that is selfish, that you are keeping a secret for your own private stash. Even if you don't think you will go there ever again, look at the bigger picture. The experience you just had, during your immensely satisfying visit of solitude, might not have been that way had someone promoted the area before you got there. It is basically like leaving litter. If you never go there again, the presence of the litter is of no consequence to you. If on your first visit there you find litter, your experience will be reduced. The other less tangible aspect is if it is not on a trail or in a guidebook, you had to do some map study or exercise your wilderness travel skills in order to get there. To promote that area is to reduce the capability of someone else to have that experience of discovery. In that way, promotion of the location becomes "selfish", since it deprives a future visitor the ability to figure it out for themselves. Once the outcome is known, there is no adventure, only just physical exercise.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 7:48 pm 
I like writing trip reports, so I usually would. But some of the "sensitive areas" people have made some good arguments over the years, so now I refrain from mentioning certain places like the sbuthtab. I would also refrain from metioning a place that someone shared with me on the basis that I wouldn't write a report on it. I like Don's point about the readers of trip reports. If someone is going there anyway, and just wants a condition update, then a report is utterly harmless. But if the reader is trolling for ideas on where to go, then the report could have the negative impact of increasing visitation to a sensitive area. I read trip reports both as idea-generators and as condition updates, plus a third reason: I just like reading them as stories. Here's a practical idea: we could have a thread for trip reports that mimics the "Don't name it, just enjoy it" that we have for lakes. A person would post a report in that thread, not naming anything or giving directions. If somebody can figure it out for themselves, great, but no guessing allowed. That is the kind of "rule" that has always been respected in the past, with "guessers" in the "don't name it..." thread quickly asked to knock it off.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:06 pm 
up.gif way to put the drama in a realistic perspective Slugman! Also oosiks take on this problem was very profound and carried a lot of truth smile.gif

Ebrace life!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:43 pm 
There could be a members only section that you needed a password to get into.... Some other sites have that going on.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:45 pm 
Tazz & Mania wrote:
Seems that many (especially newbies) can't have an opinion, idea or thought with out being ridiculed...
I guess I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Did someone delete a post? I've re-read this topic a few times and I don't see anyone ridiculing anyone?

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:52 pm 
I think there is no hidden meaning in what was said. No reason to play the game of not knowing whats up.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:57 pm 
Lagerman wrote:
I think there is no hidden meaning in what was said. No reason to play the game of not knowing whats up.
Well, perhaps you can point out the post in this thread as I don't see it. dizzy.gif

solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 8:59 pm 
Actually Lagerman, I didn't really understand where Tazz' comments came from either. I've never met Marylou, don't always agree with everything she says, but I have a huge amount of respect for her just based on the quality of her posts her knowledge and genuine love for both the outdoors and fine arts. I think Tazz was a little oversensitive or something, but sometimes that happens.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 9:11 pm 
I love ML too. I have a box of never sent love cards that I wrote to her while listening to Barry Manilow. That isnt the issuse here solo. I don't think Tazz is saying he doesnt like her or appreciates her contributions to this site. This same thing has come up before. Once upon a time with me. This might not of happened in this thread, but again no use getting into it. It just kinda seemed like an ass jumping, for something alot of people have felt time to time. Just how I feel, though I will quit before no one likes me or it distracts me from the thread(Which I just started following, so maybe I better keep quite unless I am part of the conversation at hand)

solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 9:17 pm 
Roger Loggerman, but for the record, if I've followed it correctly, Tazz is a "she" and mania is her male counterpart. Now back to the topic ... I didn't know sknat were that secret. I thought I've read TR's there. BPJ wrote one on Edds. I don't know, I still swing both ways on that issue.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone